• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League - The Reserves

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Quite how he has not been picked yet, I do not know but I'll take WG Grace as my next pick

I considered him with my last two picks. I always struggle with the fact he was a cheat and a bully. But no doubt he'd have been a great ODI player, and he'd have definitely enjoyed the cash on offer from the IPL and other T20 comps.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Subhash Gupte.

He's a big turner of the ball, has a wonderful googly and remained incredibly economical throughout his whole career.

1. C.B. Fry (5)
  2. Denis Compton (7)
  3. Charles Macartney (6)
  4. Everton Weekes
  5. Keith Miller* (4)
  6. Neil Harvey
  7. Mike Procter (3)
  8. Wicketkeeper+
  9. Harold Larwood (2)
  10. Fast Bowler (1)
  11. Subhash Gupte (5)

Red

Frank Woolley

Will bat at 6 and be a 6th bowling option of good variety if needed. Strikes me as a good "finisher" because of his style, and he also adds a bit in the field.

Frank Edward Woolley, who died aged 91, was beyond doubt one of the finest and most elegant left-handed all-rounders of all time. In a first-class career extending from 1906 to 1938 he hit 58,969 runs - a total exceeded only by Sir Jack Hobbs - including 145 centuries, to average 40.75; he took 2,068 wickets for 19.85 runs each, and he held 1,015 catches, mainly at slip, a record which remains unsurpassed.
Even more impressive than the number of runs Woolley amassed was the manner in which he made them. Standing well over six feet, he was a joy to watch. He played an eminently straight bat, employed his long reach to full advantage, and used his feet in a manner nowadays rarely seen. His timing of the ball approached perfection and he generally dealt surely with all types of bowling. Master of all the strokes, he was at his best driving, cutting, and turning the ball off his legs. He was described by Sydney Pardon as the cleanest driver since F. G. J. Ford. As a bowler he made good use of his height and bowled with a graceful easy swing.

1. Victor Trumper
2. Clyde Walcott (wk)
4. Archie Jackson
6. Frank Woolley
7. Monty Noble
8. Richie Benaud (c)
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Alan Davidson
11. CTB Turner

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Morgieb's 12 hours are up so I'll take Denis Lindsay as my next pick

Charter 77 so far

Barry Richards
WG Grace
Graeme Pollock
John R Reid
Warwick Armstrong (*)
Denis Lindsay (+)
Jack Gregory
Learie Constantine
Clarrie Grimmett

Valer

First Class Debutant
Eddie Paynter --Attacking batsman in the middle order
Sir Frank Worrell -- Captain ect.

Team

1 Les Ames (Wk)
3 Wally Hammond (VC)
4 Frank Worrell (C)
5 Eddie Paynter
6 George Headly
7 Aubrey Faulkner
8 Bill Lockwood
9 Fred Trueman
10 Bill O'Reilly
11 Bill Johnston

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I'll take Frederick Spofforth as my next pick please

Charter 77 so far

Barry Richards
WG Grace
Graeme Pollock
John R Reid
Warwick Armstrong (*)
Denis Lindsay (+)
Jack Gregory
Learie Constantine
Clarrie Grimmett
Frederick Spofforth

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Round Nine:
rvd619323- Subhash Gupte
Monk- Frank Woolley
morgieb - John Waite
Michael7777777 - Dennis Lindsay
Valer - Frank Worrell

Round Ten:
Valer - Eddie Paynter
Michael7777777 - Fred Spofforth
morgieb - Johnny Wardle
Monk - Patsy Hendren
rvd619323 - Bart King

Round Eleven:
Monk
Michael7777777
rvd619323
Valer
morgieb

Round Twelve:
morgieb
Valer
rvd619323
Michael7777777
Monk

Last edited:

Red

'Patsy' Hendren

Patsy Hendren, who died in a London hospital on October 4, 1962, aged 73, was one of the most famous batsmen to play for Middlesex and England. Only one cricketer, Sir John Hobbs, in the whole history of the first-class game hit more centuries than Hendren's 170; only two, Hobbs and F. E. Woolley, exceeded his aggregate of runs, 57,610 at an average of 50.80 per innings.
"Patsy," as, because of his Irish ancestry, he was affectionately known the world over, joined the Lord's groundstaff in 1905 and from his first appearance for Middlesex in 1909 he played regularly till 1937. Not always orthodox in style, this short, stockily-built batsman was celebrated for the power with which he invested his driving, for his cutting and for his courage in hooking fast bowlers. On pitches helpful to bowlers he used his feet with consummate skill. His ability as a deep fieldsman is illustrated to some extent by the number of catches he brought off, 725, but the number of runs he saved cannot be gauged.
Apart from his achievements, "Patsy" was a "character" of a type sadly lacking in modern cricket. No game in which he was engaged could be altogether dull. If it looked like becoming so, Hendren could be relied upon at one time or another to produce some antic which would bring an appreciative chuckle from the onlookers.

Abbott's ODI XI Who Never Played an ODI

1. Victor Trumper
2. Clyde Walcott (wk)
3. 'Patsy' Hendren
4. Archie Jackson
6. Frank Woolley
7. Monty Noble
8. Richie Benaud (c)
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Alan Davidson
11. CTB Turner

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
John Barton 'Bart' King

1. C.B. Fry
  2. Denis Compton
  3. Charlie Macartney
  4. Everton Weekes
  5. Keith Miller*
  6. Neil Harvey
  7. Mike Procter
  8. Bart King
  9. Harold Larwood
  10. -+
  11. Subhash Gupte

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Monk's 12 hours are up so I'll take Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji for my next pick

Charter 77 so far

WG Grace
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji
John R Reid
Warwick Armstrong (*)
Denis Lindsay (+)
Jack Gregory
Learie Constantine
Clarrie Grimmett
Frederick Spofforth

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Round Eleven:
Monk
Michael7777777 - KS Ranjitsinhji
rvd619323 - Don Tallon
Valer
morgieb

Round Twelve:
morgieb
Valer
rvd619323
Michael7777777
Monk
I'll take Don Tallon as my selection, giving me a First XI of:

1. C.B. Fry (6)
  2. Denis Compton (8)
  3. Charles Macartney (7)
  4. Sir Everton Weekes
  5. Keith Miller [c] (4)
  6. Neil Harvey
  7. Mike Procter (3)
  8. Don Tallon [+]
  9. J.B. 'Bart' King (1)
  10. Harold Larwood (2)
  11. Subhash Gupte (5)

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Would play Tallon at 8, personally.
I probably should, yeah. Changed.

Found this about King's batting, though:
Though King focused on bowling throughout his career, he was also a very fine batsman. In 1905, he established a North American record batting record by scoring 315 at the Germantown Cricket Club. The following year, he scored 344 not out for Belmont against the Merion Cricket Club, setting a North American batting record which still stands. He scored 39 centuries in his North American career, and he topped 1,000 runs in six seasons. He took over 100 wickets in eight seasons, including a double of 1,000 runs and 100 wickets in four seasons. In his whole career, he scored 19,808 runs at an average of 36.47, and took 2,088 wickets at an average of 10.47. He took all 10 wickets in an innings on three occasions, and took 9 wickets in an innings five times. One of these occasions, in the Gentlemen of Ireland's first innings in 1909, was followed by a hat-trick in the second innings.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Good call IMO. I've read the same thing about King before, sounds a splendid batsman at the lower levels. I actually hadn't realised Tallon was robbed of so much opportunity by the war, he's a 'what could have been' with the bat in that regard. Still a great talent and IMO the just about the best gloveman you could choose.

Valer

First Class Debutant
1 Les Ames (Wk)
2 Eddie Barlow (VC) (6)
3 Wally Hammond (7)
4 Frank Worrell (C)
5 Eddie Paynter
6 George Headly
7 Aubrey Faulkner (5)
8 Bill Lockwood (2)
9 Fred Trueman (1)
10 Bill O'Reilly (4)
11 Bill Johnston (3)

Red

Colin Bland

Bulawayo-born Colin Bland will go down in cricket history as one of the greatest cover fielders. He combined speed, perfect balance and a quite exceptional throwing arm, and thrilled spectators and intimidated opposing batsmen in equal measure. Even in the modern era, when outstanding fielders are more commonplace, Bland would have stood out. He honed his skills by endless practice throwing at a single stump, and later on he used this to show off his skills to the public during team fielding sessions . Much as was the case with Jonty Rhodes in the 1990s, even if Bland did not perform with the bat, he was worth an extra 20-30 runs for his fielding alone. But he could bat, even if he was often undone by a tendency to try and loft the ball bacl over the bowler's head. In 1963-64 in Australia he scored 126 at Sydney, ending the series with 367 runs at 61.16, and followed with 207 runs at 69.00 in New Zealand. Against England in 1964-65 he was again at his best, hammering 144 at Johannesburg and his 572 runs came at 71.50. In England the following summer he made 906 runs, including 286 at 47.66 in the three Tests. On that tour, which was South Africa's last series against England for 29 years, Bland's fielding was a revelation wherever he went, and his run-outs of Ken Barrington and Jim Parks at Lord's turned the match. His Test career ended tragically at Johannesburg against Australia in 1966-67, when he crashed into a boundary fence while chasing the ball, badly damaging his left knee. In domestic cricket he was no less popular, and equally effective. In 1967-68 he smashed 197 in three hours for Rhodesia against Border in a low-scoring match on a poor wicket which highlighted his class. He was also a very useful medium-fast right-arm bowler who was probably underused.

Abbott's ODI XI Who Never Played an ODI

1. Victor Trumper
2. Clyde Walcott (wk)
3. 'Patsy' Hendren
4. Archie Jackson
5. Colin Bland
6. Frank Woolley
7. Monty Noble
8. Richie Benaud (c)
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Alan Davidson
11. CTB Turner