• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket jargon pet hates

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Why does anyone bowl offspin on the same basis?

I have bowled some overs of chinaman bowling in my time and I have found it pretty effective as it actually turns on tracks with very little assistance, it is easier to get bounce with compared to SLA I find and the straight one is very effective. If I had more time to work on it would probably bowl it properly.
It's far easier to bowl right-arm off-spin accurately than chinaman.

uvelocity

International Coach
"on the bounce"

it's in a row, ****wit

on the tr0t if you want to get creative

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
I know, I hate it. just thought of it before.

4 in a row, don't mind it.

4 without loss. okey dokey.

4 on the bounce. wtf

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bumble just came out with one,

"Good time to take a wicket."

As opposed to a shyte time to take one?

"**** me, we've taken a wicket? Oh, noes! Call the militia!!"

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1) "Boys did well".."Boys tried hard"..as we viewer boys did not know it
2) "His heart was in his mouth"...I wouldn't want that in my mouth
3) "Once it hits the practice pitches the ball races"..so?
4) "XYZ is on fire"..which side?
5) Anything Mpumelelo Mbangwa says :)

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
A Duncan Fletcherism seldom heard now (but Knight is occasionally guilty): "what does he bring to the party?"

Just a warm bottle of Pomagne, unfortunately.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Had said this in a previous thread as well.. Hate it when the commentator says 'Thats very intelligent batting' when a batsman takes a single the next ball after a six.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
One thing that annoys me slightly is the way, upon the fall of a wicket, commentators point out the "He didn't move his feet there" as though it's the cleverest observation ever. Most batsmen don't these days, it's not seen as an absolutely essential part of technique as it once was.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Mark Nicholas, but "sixer" annoys me. He also says "MAXIMUM" for a six. Seems like a contrived way of making 20/20 more "exciting for the people".

Slater and Nicholas commenting on a 20/20 are the worst, "the buzz here is ELECTRIC", "SIXER...MAXIMUM".
They obviously don't remember KP's overthrows giving away a 7 back in the Ashes We Do Not Speak Of.

Bumble just came out with one,

"Good time to take a wicket."

As opposed to a shyte time to take one?

"**** me, we've taken a wicket? Oh, noes! Call the militia!!"
Hate this too, and "the perfect time to take a wicket". No you bell-end, that was two hours ago before he scored loads of runs.

Can't stand Bumble's habit of telling us what we're seeing when the cameraman is looking to fill time with random shots of the crowd. "Having some ice cream!", "Getting a bit of reading in", "Having a doze!"