• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps we should make it essential to have them in the XI, otherwise I'd hazard a guess they would be relegated to 12th man
Yeah, that'd work much better or else everybody will use that clause to fill their 12th player position.

Eds

International Debutant
Forcing people to use a certain clause in their XI is a bit... :/

If you picked a clause where 0 good players can be picked then it's your fault if everyone uses it to pick their 12th man, quite frankly. :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Forcing people to use a certain clause in their XI is a bit... :/

If you picked a clause where 0 good players can be picked then it's your fault if everyone uses it to pick their 12th man, quite frankly. :p
But if everybody has to use that clause in their 11 it will even out, as it'd be the same for everyone. Would also add a different dimension to this draft compared to all previous ones on CW and make people use their other 11 clauses wisely to get 10 starting players.

Right now everybody can just leave that clause till the last and then pick 11 out of 11 in the other ones.

Either we should make it compulsory to include in 11 or Jager can change that clause. I prefer the former personally, but either would be better.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
But if everybody has to use that clause in their 11 it will even out, as it'd be the same for everyone. Would also add a different dimension to this draft compared to all previous ones on CW and make people use their other 11 clauses wisely to get 10 starting players.

Right now everybody can just leave that clause till the last and then pick 11 out 11 in the other ones.
And that's Jager's fault for picking a clause which doesn't let you have any good players.

If you have to include someone from Jager's clause in the XI, then everyone will use Blakus' clause for their 12th men. And so on and so forth. Where's the line?

watson

Banned
I just assumed that everyone would make the women cricketer their 12th 'man'. Didn't think for a second that it would be compulsory to have a women in the actual XI. Sounds too much like 'Affirmative Action' ideology from the Clinton administration for mine. And I'm a political conservative.

Nothing against Jager BTW.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And that's Jager's fault for picking a clause which doesn't let you have any good players.

If you have to include someone from Jager's clause in the XI, then everyone will use Blakus' clause for their 12th men. And so on and so forth. Where's the line?
Blakus' clause still at least has some room for picking up decent players towards the end of this, who may make some teams when other clauses are exhausted.

But for Jager's clause, everybody will automatically use it for their reserve to be on the safe side as their is no concrete way of comparing.

Agent TBY

International Captain
This is quite a pointless debate because it really doesn't matter whether you have the female in the first XI or not. Whoever you pick with that clause isn't going to affect your votes or how good your team is perceived to be - nobody knows has a clue about any of them.

No offence, but I think it's a terrible idea for a clause.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is quite a pointless debate because it really doesn't matter whether you have the female in the first XI or not. Whoever you pick with that clause isn't going to affect your votes or how good your team is perceived to be - nobody knows has a clue about any of them.

I can think of a number of good women's cricketers off the top of my head. It's a great way to get people out researching and learning more about cricket. Isn't that what this forum's for?

Jager

International Debutant

:laugh: point taken that no-one has any idea. I'm going to say no to making it compulsory, it's not fair otherwise

Eds

International Debutant
But for Jager's clause, everybody will automatically use it for their reserve to be on the safe side as their is no concrete way of comparing.
Precisely why it's not a good clause in a Draft 'League'.

EDIT: It's fine as a 12th man type thing though.

Jager

International Debutant
Precisely why it's not a good clause in a Draft 'League'.

EDIT: It's fine as a 12th man type thing though.
In some regards it limits the flexibility of teams, making the other 11 selections slightly more important

watson

Banned
A good compromise would be that the 12th women IS rated. She has too appear on the Voting thread.

Incidently, don't you love sports/forums dominated by blokes as it's like a time warp to the 1950s. I'm about to pass out laughing here :laugh:

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
I can think of a number of good women's cricketers off the top of my head. It's a great way to get people out researching and learning more about cricket. Isn't that what this forum's for?
Okay, but how much research can you do anyway? Women's internationals have existed since 1934 (I just looked it up, you learn something new every day!), but how much footage or literature do you think exists? Is there enough to let you differentiate between Heyhoe-Flint, Bakewell and Denise 'Ms. Don Bradman' Annetts?

I don't think there is. Most people will have to rely on stats alone, and we all know that's an absolute crapshoot.

Eds

International Debutant
In an attempt to sure up Jager's vote, I'll take Keith Miller via the 'Played in WI/Aus/England' clause.

1. -
2. -
3. -
4. -
5. -
6. -
7. Keith Miller
8. -
9. -
10. -
11. -

Jager

International Debutant
R1
Michaelf7777777 - Garry Sobers (shares a name with a USA president)
watson - Wally Hammond (bowled Bradman)
kyear2 - Malcolm Marshall (played cricket in Aus, Eng & WI)
Jager - Imran Khan (played cricket in Aus Eng & WI)
Cevno - Richard Hadlee (25-40 batting average)
Himannv - Viv Richards (Boxing Day century)
Eds - Keith Miller (played cricket in Aus, Eng & WI)
Blakus - Joel Garner (shares a name with a USA president)
AndyZaltzHair -
Marcuss -
Monk -
kingkallis -

Last edited: