• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

watson

Banned
That's 5/12 confirmed teams
Are we supplying our finalised team now? OK.

01. Bob Simpson
02. Bill Lawry*
03. Charles Macartney
04. Maurice Leyland
05. Bill Ponsford
06. Elias 'Patsy' Hendren
07. John Waite+
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Bill Johnston
10. Sydney Barnes
11. Neil Adcock

12. Peter Heine

I do like the idea of uniting 'The Dutchman' with 'Avalanche' to give a truly fearsome pace-attack: Heine-Adcock-Lindwall

However, being able to switch from a 4 pronged pace-attack to an attack consisting of 2 quicks and 2 spinners was too tempting. The combination of Barnes and Johnston gives the bowling enormous versatility because of their ability to switch from fast-medium (swing) to accurate finger-spin as necessary. Johnston was a left-hander too with a reputed 'mean bouncer'.

And I haven't even mentioned Macartney or Simpson.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Well done everyone; thoroughly enjoyed the draft

1. Graham Gooch
2. Arthur Morris
3. Vivian Richards*
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Neil Harvey
6. Michael Hussey
7. Denis Lindsay+
8. Wilfred Rhodes
9. Peter Pollock
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Joel Garner

12. John Reid

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Jager's XI
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Graeme Smith*
03. Rahul Dravid
04. Stan McCabe 5
05. Dudley Nourse
06. Mohammad Yousuf
07. Matt Prior †
08. Mike Procter 1
09. Johnny Wardle 4
10. Shane Bond 2
11. Dale Steyn 3

12. Mark Waugh 6

Is that the right lineup?
It depends whether you feel the need for another back-up bowler besides McCabe. Waugh was a pretty handy medium pacer/off spinner, and a brilliant slips fieldsman. One of the best.

So by swapping Nourse/Yousuf with Waugh you will lose on batting but gain on bowling and catching. Not an easy choice really.

But remember you do have Prior and Proctor to cover Waugh should he go early.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
"Spreadsheet" XI
1.Bruce Mitchell
2 Eddie Barlow o
3.Herbie Taylor
4. Mahela Jayawardene
5. Javed Miandad (C)
6 Mohammad Azharuddin
7 Andy Flower(Wk, vc)
8 Charlie Turner o
9 George Lohmann o
10 Muttiah Muralitharan o
11 Courtney Walsh o

12 Johnny Briggs o
Miandad is your captain? You have a couple of other players in there who might be better choices.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Punctual XI

1. Sutcliffe
2. Langer
3. A Jackson
4. Lloyd
5. Waugh
6. Armstrong
7. Knott+
8. Imran (1)
9. Tayfield (4)
10. Willis (3)
11. Trueman (2)

A number of fantastic captaincy candidates.
3 brilliant frontline seamers and a superb spinner to compliment them. Bowling options in the top order - seam of Waugh or the spin of Armstrong.
One of the greatest ever glovemen to stand behind the sticks.
Combative batting with streaks of genius.
Imran at 8.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
1)Trumper
2)Woodfull (c)
3)Hammond
4)Tendulkar
5)Hazare
6)Martyn
7)Healy (wk)
8)Kumble
9)Cowie
10)Spofforth
11)Thomson

12th: Gibbs

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Think I'm going to go with

1.Virender Sehwag
2.Michael Slater
3.Clem Hill
4.Denis Compton
5.Stanley Jackson (6)
6.Ian Botham (3)
7.Adam Gilchrist+
8.Monty Noble (4)
9.Richie Benaud* (5)
10.Alan Davidson (1)
11.Wes Hall (2)

12.Brian Statham

Write-up to come tomorrow

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Really struggled with this decision, but here it goes.

Barry Richards
Mark Taylor * ^ / Sid Barnes
Ricky Ponting ^
Lindsay Hassett
Seymour Nurse ^
Tony Greig (5)
Les Ames +
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Jim Laker (4)
Alec Bedser (3)
Ian Bishop (2)

Very well balanced team. Sid Barnes provides the better bat, but Taylor provides a great captain, one of the best all time slippers and a much needed left hander to the mix. Will go back and forth with it, what do you guys think? A slip cordon of Taylor, Ponting and Nurse seems absolutely dreamy, Barnes does seem the better pick though.

Last edited:

Valer

First Class Debutant
Miandad is your captain? You have a couple of other players in there who might be better choices.
Player issues be damned, its a my way or back to excel-spreadsheet FC kind of team :ph34r:

eta: To clarify, of those who actually captained only Jayawardene has a reasonable record -- but still not as good -- and you can colour me unimpressed with his captaincy.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
I'd take Taylor myself as the safe option... LHB and is a more established name. Choosing Barnes could either win a vote or lose it, it depends who is looking at it. Personally, I rate Barnes quite a lot, more than Taylor anyway, but it depends on whether you want to risk playing someone who is more of an 'unknown'.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a clue. was also trying for a while now to find out where Greame Pollock and Headley fielded. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Whenever really, we're waiting on kk and Eds but the latter is away without a computer I believe. I sent him an email, but would it be unfair to go ahead without his approval/final say?