• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

Valer

First Class Debutant
Something as simple as a series gives no value to longevity. This I feel is somewhat detrimental given that it plays into the hands of

a) Those with short careers. (over a large sample you'll fluke into players here (Dempster anyone?))
b) It actually discourages more very very good performance unless you go in and pull out a peak

ex. 100@ 19, becomes worse than 100@ 19 + 100@23.

c) It offers nothing for players who add value by being consistently good over a long period of time.

Certainly I'd find it problematic and adverse to the way the draft was presented if people were to judge that way.

Jager

International Debutant
Just letting you all know that we'll probably need to delay season three a few days at least in order to let the Reserve League catch up (relegations/promotions). It might be nice to have a bit of a break, maybe it will get you excited for the next season :p

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
01. Bob Simpson* (6)
02. Bill Lawry
03. Charles Macartney (5)
04. Maurice Leyland
05. Bill Ponsford
06. Elias 'Patsy' Hendren
07. John Waite+
08. Ray Lindwall (1)
09. Bill Johnston (4)
10. Sydney Barnes (2)
11. Neil Adcock (3)
This may go against popular opinion, but Lawry was a far better captain than Simpson. Lawry was a real player's man, while Simpson could often be cutting in his remarks to fringe players etc. Ian Chappell also says that Lawry was one of the best at setting a field for individual batsmen to nullify their strengths.

Fairly detailed explanation of the above in "The Summer Game: Aust Cricket in the 50s and 60s" by Gideon Haigh, which I am reading now. Strongly recommend.

And.....sent!

watson

Banned
This may go against popular opinion, but Lawry was a far better captain than Simpson. Lawry was a real player's man, while Simpson could often be cutting in his remarks to fringe players etc. Ian Chappell also says that Lawry was one of the best at setting a field for individual batsmen to nullify their strengths.

Fairly detailed explanation of the above in "The Summer Game: Aust Cricket in the 50s and 60s" by Gideon Haigh, which I am reading now. Strongly recommend.

And.....sent!
I'm not going to argue with Gideon Haigh. Lawry it is then.

However, the following analysis has Simpson ranked in the top 20 captains.

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

I was also impressed how Simpson took a young Australian side during the Packer years and then beat a full strength Indian team 3-2 led by Bedi and Gavaskar. These scorecards are pretty amazing given the limited experience of Simpson's team and the knife-edge finishes;

1st Test: Australia v India at Brisbane, Dec 2-6, 1977 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63196.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63199.html

Incidently, Simpsons score of 176 in Perth (team total 394) at age 40 something, and after a 10 year retirement, confirms his skill against spin bowling. The Indian spin bowlers were no less than Bedi, Chandra, and Venkat.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Great teams out there guys, well done; this draft has been evenly contested.

watson, Patsy was a great choice;

Eager to see Harvey and Mussey partnership; think these two will complement each other very well. Viv to lead the team.

1. Graham Gooch
2. Arthur Morris
3. Viv Richards*
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Neil Harvey
6. Michael Hussey
7. Denis Lindsay+
8. Wilfred Rhodes
9. Peter Pollock
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Joel Garner
Cheers Andy.

It would be interesting to find out which one of those Aussie left-handers scores the most runs in an ATG series.

Jager

International Debutant
Laxman now voodoo, Eds has left a bunch of picks with me so it's just Marcuss to repick.

R1
AndyZaltzHair: Viv Richards
Eds: Shane Warne
watson: Sydney Barnes
kingkallis: Dennis Lillee
Monk: Keith Miller
Blakus: Adam Gilchrist
Himannv: Curtly Ambrose
Cevno/Marcuss: Imran Khan
kyear2: Malcolm Marshall
MrPrez: Wally Hammond
Valer: Muttiah Muralitharan

R2
Jager: Mike Procter
Eds: Glenn McGrath
AndyZaltzHair: Jacques Kallis
Valer: Andy Flower
Blakus: Alan Davidson
watson: Ray Lindwall
kingkallis: Waqar Younis
MrPrez: Sachin Tendulkar
kyear2: Barry Richards
Monk: Brian Lara
Cevno/Marcuss: Fred Trueman
Himannv: Allan Donald

R3
Jager: Dale Steyn
kyear2: Jim Laker
Eds: Graeme Pollock
Monk: John Snow
watson: Charlie Macartney
Valer: Courtney Walsh
kingkallis: Len Hutton
Himannv: Greg Chappell
Blakus: Ian Botham
AndyZaltzHair: Joel Garner
Cevno/Marcuss: Herbert Sutcliffe
MrPrez: Victor Trumper

R4
Jager: Rahul Dravid
Eds: Clyde Walcott
Valer: Charlie Turner
kyear2: Ricky Ponting
kingkallis: Everton Weekes
AndyZaltzHair: Neil Harvey
Monk: Sunil Gavaskar
MrPrez: Jeff Thomson
watson: Bill Lawry
Himannv: Frank Tyson
Cevno/Marcuss: Steve Waugh
Blakus: Richie Benaud

R5
Jager: Dudley Nourse
watson: Neil Adcock
kingkallis: Matthew Hayden
Valer: Javed Miandad
Monk: Kapil Dev
AndyZaltzHair: Arthur Morris
kyear2: Les Ames
Blakus: Denis Compton
Eds: WG Grace
Himannv: Ken Barrington
MrPrez: Fred Spofforth
Cevno/Marcuss: Alan Knott

R6
Jager: Stan McCabe
kyear2: Ian Bishop
AndyZaltzHair: Graham Gooch
Valer: Bruce Mitchell
Blakus: Wes Hall
MrPrez: Anil Kumble
Monk: Derek Underwood
watson: Bob Simpson
Himannv: Geoff Boycott
kingkallis: Hedley Verity
Cevno/Marcuss: Clive Lloyd
Eds: Colin Croft

R7
Jager: Shane Bond
Eds: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
MrPrez: Vijay Hazare
Himannv: Eddie Paynter
watson: Bill Ponsford
AndyZaltzHair: Peter Pollock
kingkallis: Doug Walters
Valer: George Lohmann
Blakus: Virender Sehwag
kyear2: Alec Bedser
Monk: Ian Chappell
Cevno/Marcuss: Hugh Tayfield

R8
Jager: Graeme Smith
kingkallis: Trevor Goddard
watson: John Waite
Himannv: Hugh Trumble
AndyZaltzHair: Fazal Mahmood
Eds: Maurice Tate
Valer: Mahela Jayawardene
kyear2: Lindsay Hassett
Marcuss: Archie Jackson
Monk: Frank Woolley
Blakus: Clem Hill
MrPrez: Ian Healy

R9
Jager: Matt Prior
Eds: Martin Crowe
AndyZaltzHair: Wilfred Rhodes
watson: Bill Johnston
MrPrez: Bill Woodfull
Blakus: Brian Statham
kyear2: Tony Greig
Monk: Michael Clarke
Valer: Eddie Barlow
kingkallis: Andrew Flintoff
Himannv: Douglas Jardine
Cevno/Marcuss: Bob Willis

R10
Jager: Mohammad Yousuf
Valer: Herbie Taylor
watson: Maurice Leyland
Eds: Desmond Haynes
AndyZaltzHair: Denis Lindsay
kingkallis: Jeffrey Dujon
Cevno/Marcuss: Justin Langer
Monk: Roy Fredericks
Blakus: Stanley Jackson
kyear2: Sid Barnes
Himannv: Conrad Hunte
MrPrez: Herschelle Gibbs

R11
Jager: Mark Waugh
Eds: -
Cevno/Marcuss: -
AndyZaltzHair: Michael Hussey
Himannv: Don Tallon
watson: Patsy Hendren
MrPrez: Jack Cowie
kingkallis: Hashim Amla
Valer: Mohammad Azharuddin
Monk: Farohk Engineer
kyear2: Seymour Nurse
Blakus: Michael Slater

Voodoo: Garfield Sobers, Richard Hadlee, Donald Bradman, Bill O’Reilly, Wasim Akram, Clarrie Grimmett, George Headley, Shaun Pollock, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Harold Larwood, Allan Border, Frank Worrell, Aubrey Faulkner, Kumar Sangakkara, Rohan Kanhai, Gordon Greenidge, Peter May, Kevin Pietersen, Ted Dexter, Kumar Ranjitsinhji, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Vijay Merchant, AB de Villiers, Hanif Mohammad, David Gower, Godfrey Evans, Richie Richardson, VVS Laxman

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Barry Richards
2. Sid Barnes
3. Ricky Ponting * '
4. Lindsay Hassett
5. Seymour Nurse '
6. Tony Greig '
7. Les Ames +
8. Malcom Marshall
9. Ian Bishop
10. Jim Laker
11. Alec Bedser

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Seymour Nurse: An interesting choice by kyear. A little mentioned, but classical WI batsman from the 60s.
Classical but also potentially destructive. Under-rated batsman and one of the greatest ever slip/close in fielders. Good last round pick I thought.

Jager

International Debutant
Classical but also potentially destructive. Under-rated batsman and one of the greatest ever slip/close in fielders. Good last round pick I thought.
Agreed! If I remember correctly, he made his runs in difficult situations, so in the standardised averages, Nurse's average went upwards

watson

Banned
1. Barry Richards
2. Sid Barnes
3. Ricky Ponting * '
4. Lindsay Hassett
5. Seymour Nurse '
6. Tony Greig '
7. Les Ames +
8. Malcom Marshall
9. Ian Bishop
10. Jim Laker
11. Alec Bedser
Nice team kyear. With Ames batting at No.7 the inclusion of Tony Grieg as the allrounder at No.6 does work.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice team kyear. With Ames batting at No.7 the inclusion of Tony Grieg as the allrounder at No.6 does work.
Thanks Guys, really missed out on a couple taboo openers that I wanted but it was a fun draft. Congrats Jager and co.

watson

Banned
Agreed! If I remember correctly, he made his runs in difficult situations, so in the standardised averages, Nurse's average went upwards
I like it when somone chooses an obtuse player, but with obvious skill and talent. Shows a bit of imagination.

I just checked Nurse's average. It's 47.60. At first glance that pays the bills.

watson

Banned
If you ignore the longevity factor and look purely at the averages, this is very telling

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...w-batting-list-post-444-bowling-445-a-30.html
Very neat table Jager.

Very happy that my favourite Pakistani player after Imran - Mushtaq Mohammad- sits above Aubrey Faulkner (especially), Arthur Morris, Ian Chappell and Richie Richardson with respect to the 'Value' Index.

Also interested to see that Maurice Leyland and Patsy Hendren are sandwiched between Kevin Pietersen and Michael Clarke on the list. I did think that Leyland would be higher though because of his 56 batting average against Australia.

Himannv

International Coach
My team is done. Some strong personalities in there

01. Geoff Boycott
02. Conrad Hunte
03. Ken Barrington
04. Greg Chappell
05. Douglas Jardine*
06. Eddie Paynter
07. Hugh Trumble
08. Don Talon+
09. Curtly Ambrose
10. Frank Tyson
11. Allan Donald

watson

Banned
My team is done. Some strong personalities in there

01. Geoff Boycott
02. Conrad Hunte
03. Ken Barrington
04. Greg Chappell
05. Douglas Jardine*
06. Eddie Paynter
07. Hugh Trumble
08. Don Talon+
09. Curtly Ambrose
10. Frank Tyson
11. Allan Donald
Sensational Himannv.

BTW You have three 'spearheads' to your bowling attack. So who do you reckon is the 'alpha male' of the three?

(Note: I've already decided that splitting most of our teams is bordering on impossible.)

Last edited: