• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

watson

Banned
watson, who will open Lawry/Simpson or Lawry/Ponsford
Definitely Simpson and Lawry opening without question. I'm tempted to put Ponsford at 3 as he has a century to his name in that position. Collins and Bardsley opened.

Plus Simpson-Lawry-Ponsford looks very solid to me. Although other people may have a different take on the matter.

But we shall see. Still a way to go in the draft.

(Although, I can safely say that Monk won't be voting for me even of I have a team of 6 Bradmans, Gilchrist, Warne, and 3 Marshalls )

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Given that Ponsford a very good player of particularly spin and old ball, you have the flexibility of moving him further down too but yeah Simpson-Lawry-Ponsford sounds good

Jager

International Debutant
Ponny the best player of those three easily IMO, especially taking in his record as an opener (works with Simmo too) but two quads in FC cricket and the fact he gave cricket away when he was truly starting to dominate sway me in his favour

watson

Banned
Ponny the best player of those three easily IMO, especially taking in his record as an opener (works with Simmo too) but two quads in FC cricket and the fact he gave cricket away when he was truly starting to dominate sway me in his favour
I slightly disagree. I believe Simpson to be the greatest player of the 3. As Australian Captain between 1963 and 1968 he averaged 60.10, scoring 8 hundreds and 19 fifties in 52 innings. Huge, especially considering the responsibilties of captaincy.

He and Lawry added 382 against Hall and Griffith at Bridgetown in 1965, and in 1966 they put on 244 at almost a run a minute after England had been bowled out for 241 at the Adelaide Oval. There's no way I'm breaking them two blokes up.

Jager

International Debutant
R8 time, gents

Jager: Jack Hobbs
AndyZaltzHair: Viv Richards
Eds: Shane Warne
watson: Sydney Barnes
kingkallis: Dennis Lillee
Monk: Keith Miller
Blakus: Adam Gilchrist
Himannv: Curtly Ambrose
Cevno/Marcuss: Imran Khan
kyear2: Malcolm Marshall
MrPrez: Wally Hammond
Valer: Muttiah Muralitharan

Jager: Mike Procter
Eds: Glenn McGrath
AndyZaltzHair: Jacques Kallis
Valer: Andy Flower
Blakus: Alan Davidson
watson: Ray Lindwall
kingkallis: Waqar Younis
MrPrez: Sachin Tendulkar
kyear2: Barry Richards
Monk: Brian Lara
Cevno/Marcuss: Fred Trueman
Himannv: Allan Donald

Jager: Dale Steyn
kyear2: Jim Laker
Eds: Graeme Pollock
Monk: John Snow
watson: Charlie Macartney
Valer: Courtney Walsh
kingkallis: Len Hutton
Himannv: Greg Chappell
Blakus: Ian Botham
AndyZaltzHair: Joel Garner
Cevno/Marcuss: Herbert Sutcliffe
MrPrez: Victor Trumper

Jager: Rahul Dravid
Eds: Clyde Walcott
Valer: Charlie Turner
kyear2: Ricky Ponting
kingkallis: Everton Weekes
AndyZaltzHair: Neil Harvey
Monk: Sunil Gavaskar
MrPrez: Jeff Thomson
watson: Bill Lawry
Himannv: Frank Tyson
Cevno/Marcuss: Steve Waugh
Blakus: Richie Benaud

Jager: Dudley Nourse
watson: Neil Adcock
kingkallis: Matthew Hayden
Valer: Javed Miandad
Monk: Kapil Dev
AndyZaltzHair: Arthur Morris
kyear2: Les Ames
Blakus: Denis Compton
Eds: WG Grace
Himannv: Ken Barrington
MrPrez: Fred Spofforth
Cevno/Marcuss: Alan Knott

Jager: Stan McCabe
kyear2: Ian Bishop
AndyZaltzHair: Graham Gooch
Valer: Bruce Mitchell
Blakus: Wes Hall
MrPrez: Anil Kumble
Monk: Derek Underwood
watson: Bob Simpson
Himannv: Geoff Boycott
kingkallis: Hedley Verity
Cevno/Marcuss: Clive Lloyd
Eds: Colin Croft

Jager: Shane Bond
Eds: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
MrPrez: Vijay Hazare
Himannv: Eddie Paynter
watson: Bill Ponsford
AndyZaltzHair: Peter Pollock
kingkallis: Doug Walters
Valer: George Lohmann
Blakus: Virender Sehwag
kyear2: Alec Bedser
Monk: Ian Chappell
Cevno/Marcuss: Hugh Tayfield

Voodoo: Garfield Sobers, Richard Hadlee, Donald Bradman, Bill O’Reilly, Wasim Akram, Clarrie Grimmett, George Headley, Shaun Pollock, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Harold Larwood, Allan Border, Frank Worrell, Aubrey Faulkner, Kumar Sangakkara, Rohan Kanhai, Gordon Greenidge, Peter May, Kevin Pietersen, Ted Dexter, Kumar Ranjitsinhji

MrPrez

International Debutant
You did get Hazare ages ago :laugh:
Haha missed that. Delighted.

1)Trumper
2)
3)Hammond
4)Tendulkar
5)Hazare
6)
7)
8)Kumble
9)
10)Spofforth
11)Thompson

Really liking my team now :) Got Hazare who is a more-than-useful 5th bowler.

Eds

International Debutant

1. WG Grace
2. -
3. -
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Clyde Walcott
6. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
7. -
8. -
9. Shane Warne
10. Colin Croft
11. Glenn McGrath

Might even bat Chanderpaul at 7 when the time comes. He's not bad at shepherding the strike, for obvious reasons, meaning he'd probably do well at 7 in a strong side such as this.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Could say the same about yours, kyear. Would like to see the current projected batting order, but it currently looks the strongest side to me. Alec Bedser a bargain at this stage - I would have picked him if I had a suitable #8.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Definitely Simpson and Lawry opening without question. I'm tempted to put Ponsford at 3 as he has a century to his name in that position. Collins and Bardsley opened.

Plus Simpson-Lawry-Ponsford looks very solid to me. Although other people may have a different take on the matter.

But we shall see. Still a way to go in the draft.

(Although, I can safely say that Monk won't be voting for me even of I have a team of 6 Bradmans, Gilchrist, Warne, and 3 Marshalls )
Why? :)

Sent...

Last edited: