"If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.
I definitely disagree that he's good enough to be a wicket-keeper at this level.
marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!
Anyone want to join the Society?
Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.
However, in the context of Jager's team he seems to fit very well.
1. Adam Gilchrist - 2. Sachin Tendulkar - 3. Brian Lara - 4. Viv Richards - 5. Michael Bevan - 6. AB De Villiers - 7. Kapil Dev - 8. Shaun Pollock - 9. Joel Garner - 10. Muttiah Muralitharan - 11. Glenn McGrath
Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick
Yeah watson Jardine fits more into Jager's team
I knew Wilfred Rhodes made some contribution opening the innings but just found out he surpassed the expectations. Wilfred Rhodes made 5 half centuries and 2 centuries opening the innings. His two centuries- 179 against Australia and 152 against South Africa
Trouble is, if you play Wilfred as an opener then you lose a spinner because he hardly ever bowled when he partnered Jack Hobbs.
I even think that No.8 or 9 is probably too high in the order. All his genius resides in his bowling skills prior to WWI. Back then, he was only vaguely competent with the bat. But what a bowler!
Just checked and he only opened and kept in the same innings 11 times out of 235, ftr.
Couple of strategies from here for Jager, IMO:
- Find another spinner, use Rhodes as part-time, and open the innings with Rhodes. Move Stewart to 7 and drop Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Find an opener, keep Rhodes where he is as a bowler, drop Stewart to 7 and drop Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Keep Stewart opening, recruit another WK to play instead of Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Drop someone, and replace them with a keeper that kept and opened together.
- Swap the batting positions of Stewart and Jardine.
Last edited by Eds; 17-07-2012 at 06:42 AM.
or I could just choose an opener next round and move him to 7
(and pick two other players that give me maximum versatility)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)