• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Clive Lloyd- captained against Ian Chappell.

-
-
- Wally Hammond
- Greg Chappell
- Clive Lloyd (c)
-
-
- Kapil Dev
- Allan Davidson
- Allan Donald
- Clarrie Grimmett

Himannv

International Coach
Lest I forget, team so far:

01. Trevor Goddard
02. Charles Bannerman
03. Neil Harvey
04. Dennis Compton
05. Steve Waugh
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Sydney Barnes

Himannv

International Coach
Planned to pick him for quite a while. Decided it was too much of a risk this round and took him in.

watson

Banned
Allan Border lost his wicket to Curtly Ambrose in this match

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 24-29, 1988 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

1.Bobby simpson
3.Rohan Kanhai
4.Graeme Pollock
5.Keith Miller
7.Matt Prior
8.Richard Hadlee
9.Curtly Ambrose

Pretty happy with that pace attack
Never mind the pace attack, you have Kanhai at No.3. Possibly the pick of the teams thus far IMO.

Still the Debut Clause to go though.....etc etc

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Everton Weekes (fredfertang article) for my next selection please

Charter 77 So Far

Everton Weekes
Frank Worrell (*)
Shaun Pollock
Amar Singh
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharin
Brian Statham

watson

Banned
Marcuss > KK > Dan

Nearly there KK.....your wait will be determined by Marcuss' sleeping habits.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
If so, just.

It's really about a particular Test match, but since it was 'Laker's match' it looks somewhat like a biographical piece. For example;

So what of Jim Laker? With all that good fortune and his relatively ordinary pre 1956 form does he really deserve to revered in the way in which he is today? I have to say I think he does. He was a genuine slow bowler, a master of flight and change of pace who gave the ball as vicious a tweak as any finger spinner in history. A relative lack of success on his two tours of the Caribbean, and a failure to do a great deal against Bradman's "Invincibles", all in conditions that did not suit his bowling, unfairly skewed his figures. The real test of Laker's class as a bowler came, in my view, in 1958/59 when, at the age of almost 37 he finally got to Australia, a trip he had missed out on in 1950/51 and 1954/55 on the basis that the selectors believed conditions would not suit his style of bowling. It was a very unhappy tour for England who played poorly and were beaten 4-0 by a keen young Australian side under Benaud's tutelage. Laker himself was troubled by injury, particularly to his overworked spinning finger. He still managed to silence his critics though as, with 15 wickets at 21 runs apiece, he was England's leading bowler, whether measured by average or by wickets taken.

After his return from Australia Laker had one more season with Surrey, but he was not as effective as in the past, and that coupled with the furore over a book of reminiscences, Over to me, meant he did not play for Surrey again. It was to the press box that Laker retired, and he became a respected writer and journalist and, as he passed 40, he turned out as an amateur occasionally for Essex for three seasons, enjoying considerable success. He went on to become, in partnership with Benaud amongst others, a respected BBC Television commentator whose laconic style, laced with a very dry humour, was loved by millions. Having listened to him for so many years I always found it easy to imagine the evening of Laker's greatest triumph when, half way back to London at about 10pm, he stopped off at a pub near Lichfield for sustenance, and sat unrecognised in the bar as the rest of the customers were huddled around a small black and white television set watching grainy footage of the remarkable events that unfolded at Old Trafford earlier that day.
Probably benefit of the doubt to Marcuss this time round, but I could easily be persuaded otherwise. Incidently, this piece never made to my personal list of players for the 'Fred Clause' because I wasn't sure at the time.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It made mine(obviously) whereas the one we rejected before didn't. All depends where you draw the line. Laker is mentioned 32 times in the piece and I'm not sure how a piece titled 19-90 could be construed as not being about laker. In the same way 400* would be Lara