Page 130 of 220 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 3288

Thread: CW Draft League

  1. #1936
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    Yeah I'd play Redpath if I were you. Not sure how she'd manage against Holding, Garner, Ambrose...
    That's my point, are we transferring their skills across and giving their career stats and achievements equal status with the men, meaning she (Bakewell) has an average of nearly 60? Or are we judging her as a women's cricketer playing against, as you say, Holding, Garner and Ambrose? In which case she'd struggle.

    My point is, if their skills don't transfer across in to these teams, we might as well have all researched who's the best women fielder, or the best drinks waitress, or who has the best thighs in short shorts (for team morale)!

    I'm not really fussed either way, but I'd probably have chosen someone else if the skills and achievements don't transfer and become comparable with the men's.....

    I'll never fear you, buddy.

  2. #1937
    Eds
    Eds is offline
    International Debutant Eds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,167
    It'd be based on how well we think they'd have played against these teams.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

  3. #1938
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,153
    The point of researching women cricketers is to learn something new. And learning something new is pretty cool. It makes us all more interesting people.

    However, it is more than likely that all of the women cricketers would struggle against an ATG bowling attack when batting or an ATG batting line-up when bowling. They would be out of their depth in the same way that the Womens England Football team would be out of their depth against the Mens England Football team. But worse because there is no where to hide for an individual batsman or bowler at the crease. They are not a back row defender with 3 fellow defenders and a goalie beside them.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

    Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

  4. #1939
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The point of researching women cricketers is to learn something new. And learning something new is pretty cool. It makes us all more interesting people.

    However, it is more than likely that all of the women cricketers would struggle against an ATG bowling attack when batting or an ATG batting line-up when bowling. They would be out of their depth in the same way that the Womens England Football team would be out of their depth against the Mens England Football team. But worse because there is no where to hide for an individual batsman or bowler at the crease. They are not a back row defender with 3 fellow defenders and a goalie beside them.
    I don't disagree that they'd struggle (clearly), but basically what we're doing with that rationale is selecting them as 12th "men".

    Far more interesting next time (if we did this type of clause in another draft) to select them to actually play a role in the team based on their performances in women's cricket, but transferring that across to this comp.

    So my XII is...

    Monk's 12

    - Gordon Greenidge
    - Enid Bakewell (6)
    - Ian Chappell
    - Vijay Hazare
    - Frank Worrell (c)
    - AB. DeVilliers (wk)
    - Jack Gregory (3)
    - Richie Benaud (4)
    - Hugh Trumble (5)
    - Fred Trueman (2)
    - Waqar Younis (1)

    12th- Ian Redpath

    But if I wanted to win a real test against someone else's draft team...

    Monk's 12

    - Gordon Greenidge
    - Ian Redpath
    - Ian Chappell
    - Vijay Hazare
    - Frank Worrell (c)
    - AB. DeVilliers (wk)
    - Jack Gregory (3)
    - Richie Benaud (4)
    - Hugh Trumble (5)
    - Fred Trueman (2)
    - Waqar Younis (1)

    12th- Enid Bakewell


  5. #1940
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,153
    But if I wanted to win a real test against someone else's draft team...
    I take that to be the underlying assumption behind all these Drafts.

    When fellow CWers vote for their favourite team they are thinking foremost which team would most likely win an inter-team Test series. Or something like that.

    It sounds all very pragmatic and un-idealistic I know. But if the goals and aspirations of this Draft were to be different from normal then they should have been stated from the get-up.

  6. #1941
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,236
    Female Cricketer

    Rachel Heyhoe-Flint (Hall of Famer)

    KYEAR XI

    Arthur Morris
    Bill Lawry *
    Greg Chappell (6) ^
    Brian Lara ^
    Inzamam Ul-Haq ^
    Mustaq Mohammad (5)
    Jock Cameron +
    Malcolm Marshall (1)
    Bill O'Reilly (3)
    Colin Croft (2)
    Ken Farnes (4)

    Rachel Heyhoe-Flint

    Quite happy with effort this draft. Had fun.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  7. #1942
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I take that to be the underlying assumption behind all these Drafts.

    When fellow CWers vote for their favourite team they are thinking foremost which team would most likely win an inter-team Test series. Or something like that.

    It sounds all very pragmatic and un-idealistic I know. But if the goals and aspirations of this Draft were to be different from normal then they should have been stated from the get-up.
    Yeh, fair enough. In that case, my line up will be the one with Redpath!

  8. #1943
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yeh, fair enough. In that case, my line up will be the one with Redpath!
    You have damned good cricket team Monk - Redpath or no Redpath.

    I'll be interested in reading your team write up about Redpath because he isn't a player that would readily spring to mind. However, I do have a recollection that Ian Chappell thought very highly of him.

  9. #1944
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    You have damned good cricket team Monk - Redpath or no Redpath.

    I'll be interested in reading your team write up about Redpath because he isn't a player that would readily spring to mind. However, I do have a recollection that Ian Chappell thought very highly of him.
    Cheers mate, to be honest I'm not entirely convinced about my line-up. I think they'd put up a very good fight though. Not entirely sure about AB keeping, but it does give my bowling attack nice variety with the three quicks plus an offie and a leggie. Bats well all the way to #9 as well, with Gregory, Benaud and Trumble all capable batsmen.

    Redpath a largely unmentioned player. Average of 43 as an opener is really good, and made runs against some decent attacks. Pretty quiet, unassuming guy, great guy but not a big personality, so probably easily forgotten.

  10. #1945
    International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6,095
    I'll pick Jan Brittin as the female cricketer
    CricZo XI - Draft League

    Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

    Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

    Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

  11. #1946
    International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6,095
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Female Cricketer

    Rachel Heyhoe-Flint (Hall of Famer)

    KYEAR XI

    Arthur Morris
    Bill Lawry *
    Greg Chappell (6) ^
    Brian Lara ^
    Inzamam Ul-Haq ^
    Mustaq Mohammad (5)
    Jock Cameron +
    Malcolm Marshall (1)
    Bill O'Reilly (3)
    Colin Croft (2)
    Ken Farnes (4)

    Rachel Heyhoe-Flint

    Quite happy with effort this draft. Had fun.
    Thats one of the best line-ups we have in this draft along with Monk, Blakus, AZH

  12. #1947
    International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6,095
    CricZo XI

    1. Jack Hobbs /
    2. Barry Richards /
    3. David Boon /
    4. Herbie Taylor /
    5. Clive Lloyd ( c ) /
    6. Alec Stewart ( + ) /
    7. Trevor Goddard / o
    8. Alan Davidson o /
    9. Hugh Tayfield o
    10. Curtly Ambrose o
    11. Herman Griffith o

    12. Jan Brittin /

    Bowling attack : Curtly Ambrose, Alan Davidson, Herman Griffith, Trevor Goddard and
    Hugh Tayfield
    Last edited by kingkallis; 14-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.

  13. #1948
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Had to do some digging to figure out who was in my team. Two days without internet does that to you.

    01. Geoffrey Boycott
    02. Alastair Cook
    03. Viv Richards
    04. Allan Border
    05. Lindsey Hassett*
    06. Graham Thorpe
    07. Les Ames+
    08. Shaun Pollock
    09. Harold Larwood
    10. Fred Spofforth
    11. Muthiah Muralitharan

    12. Ellyse Perry
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  14. #1949
    International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6,095
    Sam, thats a nice team. Voting is going to be extremely competitive this time.

  15. #1950
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Awesome opening combo, kk.

    Tried to pick a team with as less weak links as possible. I'm also counting on Perry to win me some votes.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Draft threads
    By Richard in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 27-05-2014, 05:26 PM
  2. Biggest plodders in international cricket history.
    By Camel56 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 02:34 PM
  3. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •