• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fifth Time Lucky for Javed

smash84

The Tiger King
absolutely loved this part

"In his autobiography All Round View Imran admitted to underestimating just how much the World Cup had meant to the people of Pakistan I have never seen the Pakistani public so disappointed as they were after our semi-final defeat. I had underestimated the depth of feeling about the World Cup: most of the people leaving the stadium had tears in their eyes. Javed himself went even further It seemed our national self-esteem had been staked on the outcome of that semi-final in Lahore. The entire Pakistani nation was inconsolable. Imran was then 35 and, once more, toying with retirement. Javed was 30 and at his absolute peak as a batsmen. The months of February and March 1992 were almost four and a half years away at that point, when the tournament would reconvene in Australia and New Zealand. That the two men would still be around and still be at the fulcrum of their side's efforts - with admittedly fresh and brilliant reinforcements - is perhaps the story of World Cup history. Imran Khan, a man whom Ray Illingworth once asserted had made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra was joined in ultimate triumph in 1992, after 17 years of trying, by Javed Miandad, whose batting efforts on that Melbourne afternoon presented a youthful Pakistani bowling attack with a total to bowl at. In the case of Javed, that effort, along with earlier ones in the tournament, came at considerable physical cost, for the Karachi man was in acute pain for much of the competition.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Nice article but one sentence is factually wrong "Pakistan's 220 was never going to prove enough as the West Indian openers picked off the runs without loss; both Haynes and Simmons hitting centuries"..Openers were Haynes and Lara and both scored fifties and not centuries . The only century in the match was by Rameez "I want SC umpires in SC" Raja...Javed common man's hero.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Fantastic read. Imran, rightfully IMO, gets the majority of the credit for the WC win. But Javed, much as he did for Imran throughout his career, was there to provide rock steady support in the batting department. In fact despite his "combative nature" as the author so aptly describes, it is to Javed's great credit that he was willing to be subservient to Imran, recognize that he was the better leader for Pakistan, and always served him as a loyal deputy. Imran would've never done the same if the roles were reversed. Javed was also the only man that Imran treated as an "equal"; he would often offer Imran tactical match advice or give him a pep talk after a tough loss - something that no other player would've dared to do.

The WC 92 win is probably my favorite cricket memory. There is one moment in particular that’s etched in my mind and always brings a smile to my face. After Pakistan had won and are celebrating on the field, someone grabs Imran’s arm and turns him around to get his attention. For a split second Imran is clearly annoyed by this rude action, until he turns around and realizes it’s Javed who has done it. Immediately he breaks into a smile and both men hug each other; relieved and joyous to have achieved their ultimate ambition. Ah memories. :)

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
There is one moment in particular that’s etched in my mind and always brings a smile to my face. After Pakistan had won and are celebrating on the field, someone grabs Imran’s arm and turns him around to get his attention. For a split second Imran is clearly annoyed by this rude action, until he turns around and realizes it’s Javed who has done it. Immediately he breaks into a smile and both men hug each other; relieved and joyous to have achieved their ultimate ambition. Ah memories. :)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Xuhaib

International Coach
wasn't Javed initially dropped from the squad for(alleged) fitness issues and only got in as a replacement after some political pressure when Waqar returned home with stress fracture. Do people think the result would have been same if Waqar was there in place of Javed remember this was a period when Waqar was at his scary best.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
wasn't Javed initially dropped from the squad for(alleged) fitness issues and only got in as a replacement after some political pressure when Waqar returned home with stress fracture. Do people think the result would have been same if Waqar was there in place of Javed remember this was a period when Waqar was at his scary best.
Tough to say of course, but remember, more often than not bowling was not the weak point, so the stability Javed provided was crucial.

Excellent article by the way. I was a young'un in '92 living in Al-Ain, UAE, who had never watched cricket before but knew about it and had even played it pretending to be Waqar (whom I had never watched, but had heard about). I also knew that there was a World Cup going on and that Pakistan were in it. People in my neighborhood had started getting excited when Pakistan reached the semis, and all got together in a restaurant late at night to watch the match. We hadn't gone that day but my father kept getting updates via phone on what was going on. I remember getting a LOT of calls when Inzi was on his rampage, and my sister and I were jumping all over the bed when Pakistan clinched the match not understanding exactly what we were celebrating. The excitement and joy and jumping around had doubled after finding out that Pakistan had won the cup over the phone. I remember my father repeating what he heard on the phone "We've won. They're going into sajda" and the both of us going into a sajda as Aamer Sohail had apparently done at the same time. We were just happy finding out that Pakistan had won something.

I also remember finally getting the VHS recordings almost a week later and having half the neighborhood in our house to watch the final as I got my first taste of international cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tough to say of course, but remember, more often than not bowling was not the weak point, so the stability Javed provided was crucial.

Excellent article by the way. I was a young'un in '92 living in Al-Ain, UAE, who had never watched cricket before but knew about it and had even played it pretending to be Waqar (whom I had never watched, but had heard about). I also knew that there was a World Cup going on and that Pakistan were in it. People in my neighborhood had started getting excited when Pakistan reached the semis, and all got together in a restaurant late at night to watch the match. We hadn't gone that day but my father kept getting updates via phone on what was going on. I remember getting a LOT of calls when Inzi was on his rampage, and my sister and I were jumping all over the bed when Pakistan clinched the match not understanding exactly what we were celebrating. The excitement and joy and jumping around had doubled after finding out that Pakistan had won the cup over the phone. I remember my father repeating what he heard on the phone "We've won. They're going into sajda" and the both of us going into a sajda as Aamer Sohail had apparently done at the same time. We were just happy finding out that Pakistan had won something.

I also remember finally getting the VHS recordings almost a week later and having half the neighborhood in our house to watch the final as I got my first taste of international cricket.
haha.....great memories man....

btw Al Ain is a breath of fresh air in the UAE. A relatively green city

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer

Pak WI Aus played a tri series in Aus immediately after the WC victory and that Pak team had Waqar and ofcourse Miandad as well and they did not perform credibly ..won only one match albeit against 2 strong teams..so u never know

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pak WI Aus played a tri series in Aus immediately after the WC victory and that Pak team had Waqar and ofcourse Miandad as well and they did not perform credibly ..won only one match albeit against 2 strong teams..so u never know
the two series are not even remotley connected. Imran had already retired and all the seniors had revolted against Miandad who was the captain Pakistan would have lost the series even if the opponents were Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe the two weakest test playing nations at that point.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
the two series are not even remotley connected. Imran had already retired and all the seniors had revolted against Miandad who was the captain Pakistan would have lost the series even if the opponents were Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe the two weakest test playing nations at that point.
There you go..you knew the answer all along IMRAN = Unity and that 4 letter word.. i meant LUCK