• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig - Cowdrey Lecture

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Who allowed this old fool to take charge of the Cowdrey Lecture? We've gone from one of the greatest and most pertinent speeches, from Dravid, to this old fool.

MCC Spirit of Cricket Lecture: Tony Greig implores India to govern for the world game | Cricket News | Marylebone Cricket Club | ESPN Cricinfo - Greig, one of the founders of the ICL, calls India out on for being money-hungry. Not so much interest when his finger isn't in the pie.

This is the essence of Greig and why he shouldn't be allowed near a commentary mike, a lecture or the game in general: Tony Greig: A racist with a Channel Nine 'job for life' | Green Left Weekly

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quoting a publication called 'Green Left Weekly' lol.

Pull your head in. He's been in cricket longer than you've been alive, so obviously has seen many changes through the course of history. He's more than qualified to give an address of this nature.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Quoting a publication called 'Green Left Weekly' lol.

Pull your head in. He's been in cricket longer than you've been alive, so obviously has seen many changes through the course of history. He's more than qualified to give an address of this nature.
Irrelevant who wrote the article, it sums him up nicely.

Who gives a hoot if he's been around for years? Shall we get Ravi Shastri on and see what he makes of it all? Maybe he'll wear a purple cap along.

If you can't see the hypocrisy of a man who helped launch a rebel competition given the lecturn to speak on the growth of the world game, then fire at India for being greedy, then I don't hold out much hope for you.

TNT

Banned
Some of Greigs speech.

Before examining the specific issues, we must acknowledge and praise India for embracing the spirit
of cricket through the financial opportunities it provides, which has enabled a number of Test playing
countries to survive, and some to thrive. World cricket would be in a sorry state if it weren’t for the money
shared with other countries from India’s television deals. You can imagine the indebtedness to India of
those cricket boards, which are able to negotiate a tour with the Board of Control for Cricket in India
(BCCI) to their country. It generates a spike in the host country’s revenue that they will not see until
India chooses to come again.
World cricket would also struggle if India didn’t have such sophisticated administrators as it does. More
recently, India has found a way to involve its wealthiest entrepreneurs and Bollywood stars through the
ownership of its IPL teams.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
God that article's written by an idiot or a person so far up his own arse its not even funny. Going on t him for saying 'The Indians' Greig's been politically incorrect and sometimes downright inappropriate but it'd be a push to say he's downright racist.

Greig ni the lecture actually goes more into the damage that the structure of the ICC causes international cricket and the influence of the BCCI on the voting process he says the IPL is too long but hardly criticises it for much other than the fact that the BCCI's board is tied to the franchise owners more than to governing cricket.

He suggests regional T20 leagues and a shortening of the IPL so it can be provisioned with a window in international cricket which is hardly a bad thing. The regional T20 leagues would most probably aid the development of cricket in the smaller cricketing countries like Bangladesh and Windies (financially).

The lecture isn't bad it does suggest some pretty interesting stuff and ideas.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Listened live and liked.
My knowledge of cricket is still inferior but he surely made a few valid points Id say, right?

And the Green Leaf whatever with Tony poaching players :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meh, didn't agree with some of it, but did with much of the rest of it. Whether you agree or disagree, he certainly is qualified to speak on the issue and I don't think he has said anything outrageous enough to warrant the reaction from the OP.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
GreenLeftWeekly said:
Now, instead of the ICL, it seems that Greig will have to suffice from the blood money of the genocidal state of Sri Lanka, whom he was appointed tourism ambassador of in March.
What a ridiculous statement. The article is making a mountain out of Greig's ethnocentric tendencies - tendencies almost everyone has exhibited at some point in time.

Makes me ashamed to be a 'part' of the political left.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh, didn't agree with some of it, but did with much of the rest of it. Whether you agree or disagree, he certainly is qualified to speak on the issue and I don't think he has said anything outrageous enough to warrant the reaction from the OP.
I don't think Greig is qualified to speak on the ethics of cricket in India, nor anywhere in the world. He's shown previously that he's not interested in the betterment of the international game, when there is rupees to be had.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haven't read or listened to the lecture, so I put that disclaimer, but I do agree it is slightly amusing Greig talking about India governing in the best interests of cricket when he created the ICL, which was ****house.

Doesn't mean what he says is wrong. It just means its rather odd coming from him.