• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig - Cowdrey Lecture

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I never really believe people who say they like the odd bad decision to make things interesting. Not once have I seen an Australian react to Ponting getting a dodgy one with "ho ho, what intrigue! how wonderful that we have such incidents in our sport."

benchmark00

I never really believe people who say they like the odd bad decision to make things interesting. Not once have I seen an Australian react to Ponting getting a dodgy one with "ho ho, what intrigue! how wonderful that we have such incidents in our sport."
This is such a great example of what I was saying earlier with UDRS fan boys just not getting it. Thanks for that.

Uppercut

Pulling off the bencheh technique- make your case really badly, then when no one can see what the hell you're banging on about, act like it's because everyone else is in some way deficient.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:

benchmark00

Pulling off the bencheh technique- make your case really badly, then when no one can see what the hell you're banging on about, act like it's because everyone else is in some way deficient.
I've made my point on this topic clearly a number of times, you in particular just come back with rubbish sarcastic posts over and over in relation to this topic.

Where has anyone said they're happy with bad decisions? I'm not happy when batsmen make mistakes or slogs, but do we ban them from the game? No, it's just one facet which makes up cricket. The answer to bad umpiring isn't bringing in technology, it's umpires making better decisions. And if they can't make better decisions then I'm happy with the 95%.

You'll find the only people that keep carrying on about bad decisions and whinging constantly is your little UDRS band wagon.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? You reckon the guy doesn't throw out things just to get a reaction?
Course he does. Inflammatory figures in sports=$

I'll never forget last season when someone in the box wanted to discuss Tendulkar and his retirement, or possibility of. Greig, clearly in a pompous mood, said 'who cares what I think, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks - he'll do it when he chooses to' End of.

Top_Cat

haha, inadvertent terrible example. One of the first things people talk about with regards P00ntang is the fact he was dudded for 96 in his first Test. A whole level of mystique and legend about the guy has been built on that.

That and being nutted at the Bourbon and Beefsteak in '98.

Uppercut

Haha well it still must have taken a hell of a lot of hindsight for people to start thinking of that incident positively.

I'll definitely miss a few things about having it all on-field- the finality of the umpire's finger, someone I hate getting a hilarious bad decision etc. But even so, pros of DRS comfortably outweigh cons. And that's the only quasi-reasonable objection, most of the reasons people give for opposing it are just dire- the whole "it's not 100% therefore there's no point" and "my eyes looking at a 2d tv screen are right and hawkeye is wrong" and "the answer isn't technology, it's to make the umpires do a better job (oh my god! why didn't we think of that before!)"

Langeveldt

Soutie
Some of the stuff he says about the BCCI may well be true, but surely pioneering a rebel league himself doesn't exactly give him much high ground to comment from when trying to preserve the sanctity of international test cricket?

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Some of the stuff he says about the BCCI may well be true, but surely pioneering a rebel league himself doesn't exactly give him much high ground to comment from when trying to preserve the sanctity of international test cricket?
He's doing his best to alienate himself. Frankly, people should atleast have the common sense to not bite the hand that feeds them.