• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig - Cowdrey Lecture

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you can't place trust in an outcome? It's not a scientific experiment ffs. The whole point is that you don't know who will win, and when there is an outcome, you have no idea if it will be the same the next time they play. That's the beauty of sport.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you can't place trust in an outcome? It's not a scientific experiment ffs. The whole point is that you don't know who will win, and when there is an outcome, you have no idea if it will be the same the next time they play. That's the beauty of sport.
Yes, when you can't trust the outcome.

You don't know who will win if someone is cheating is either, unless you're in on it. The point is that you trust the outcome if it's the players ability, their successes and their failures which decide the outcome. Not a third entity that is not one of the teams and shouldn't change the outcome by themselves. It has nothing to do with a scientific experiment nor am I trying to make it as such.

Historically we had to rely on the authority of umpires because there was nothing else. They aren't part of the sport - they are a necessary evil for lack of a better alternative. Now that such alternatives are beginning to be viable, we should use such a thing whenever possible - and good riddance to unfair decisions.

benchmark00

So we should take out umpires all together and implement cyclops technology that we see in tennis on the service line etc? Rubbish.

I prefer the little differences certain umpires bring to the game. Some you know are going to be stiff on LBW's whilst others give aggressive decisions.

What I think you and others don't see is that there's a difference between 'unfair' and 'incorrect'.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So we should take out umpires all together and implement cyclops technology that we see in tennis on the service line etc? Rubbish.

I prefer the little differences certain umpires bring to the game. Some you know are going to be stiff on LBW's whilst others give aggressive decisions.

What I think you and others don't see is that there's a difference between 'unfair' and 'incorrect'.
And that's fine provided that in being cautious or aggressive the umpires aren't getting things wrong.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If we can pull if off - yes. Right now unfortunately, we still need them for some things. Eventually - absolutely (for decisions at least), though I think you may need to keep them there to settle disputes between players, hold the hats, keep track of overs and such, and other such administrative work.

When it comes to the outcome of games, I consider incorrect to be the same as unfair.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only reason Benchy wants umpires still in the game is so he can press the Howzat button on Super International Cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Leg byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top_Cat

haha, such an ideological split between Bench**** and Silent Stri****.

For what it's worth, at lower levels I'm not so hot on the accuracy thing but when it comes to FC and Tests, with careers and livelihoods on the line, moar accuracy please.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The most frustrating part of UDRS fan boys is that they refuse to acknowledge and understand the other point of view.
This.

I was firmly in UDRS camp, I still am largely but have got some doubts crept in my mind. But I keep it to myself mostly because of the weird reactions that we get for voicing such opinions.

Guess what this situation is like? It is like suggesting that Bradman would have averaged 75 instead of 100 today. Gets same weird reactions.

#startofsachinvsbradman
#randomhashtagsftw

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Tony Greig would be a very credible man.................................................................. if idiots were running the game of cricket. Although I'm not sure if even they would agree to this two-faced nonsense, from a man who sold his soul to Kerry Packer and then, went to ICL and destroyed careers.

Ironical for a man in clear conflict of interest with the ICC to be invited to speak at the "Spirit of Cricket" lecture.

One-eyed arse.

benchmark00

Tony Greig would be a very credible man.................................................................. if idiots were running the game of cricket. Although I'm not sure if even they would agree to this two-faced nonsense, from a man who sold his soul to Kerry Packer and then, went to ICL and destroyed careers.

Ironical for a man in clear conflict of interest with the ICC to be invited to speak at the "Spirit of Cricket" lecture.

One-eyed arse.
If you have two eyes in your arse then you should consult your medical professional ASAP.

benchmark00

The only reason Benchy wants umpires still in the game is so he can press the Howzat button on Super International Cricket.

If you appeal enough the computer sometimes takes a run.

Always amused me when the umpy signals a four his arms grows about 10 inches.