• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salman Butt released early from prison

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Ah, Amir been a young offender probably releases him from that anyway although I think he served the minimum.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You won't find many on here who are more inclined towards wishy washy liberalism than I am but I can't help feeling this makes a mockery of a system that was, slightly to my surprise I am embarassed to say, robust enough to sentence him to 30 months in the first place.

Now if he had to serve the balance of his time in a Pakistani jail, or even just some of it, then I'd probably take a different view ............

smash84

The Tiger King
You won't find many on here who are more inclined towards wishy washy liberalism than I am but I can't help feeling this makes a mockery of a system that was, slightly to my surprise I am embarassed to say, robust enough to sentence him to 30 months in the first place.

Now if he had to serve the balance of his time in a Pakistani jail, or even just some of it, then I'd probably take a different view ............
it would have been nice to have him in a pakistani prison with the general inmates.

He might have gotten sodomized in prison though. Punishment enough I would think

jan

State Vice-Captain
What does general public in Pakistan say to his return home? How is he regarded now?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
News of his return might be overshadowed by the constitutional crisis on currently. He got lucky, IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disgraceful decision to let him out early. Should have served the full sentence in my view. Hopefully he will never play cricket again.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Looking at his comments after coming back it doesn't seem like he has grown any sense during his time in jail.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Eh? This seems to be a pretty open and shut use of the (English) early release system... I certainly wouldn't want to pay taxes for him to live in an Australian prison.

Butt is a non dangerous criminal and hence I see no problem with his early release. Prison as a punitive measure is poor use of public funds. Fwiw you also do the same thing with drug mules for example, I hardly think Butt's case is any worse.

Eta: This is NOT endorsement of him being able to return to cricket in any way.