• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Flintoff Jumps The Shark, But Does Correctly Call Michael Atherton A Prick

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket storm as Andrew Flintoff hits out at Michael Atherton - Diary - News - Evening Standard

Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff was not mincing his words at the Sky TV party at The Oxo Tower on Tuesday night. Speaking to the Londoner, all his bonhomie turned to scowls when the subject of his erstwhile England colleague, former captain and now Sky TV and Times journalist Michael Atherton, came up.

“He’s a p***k,” said Flintoff. “He’s a f*****g p***k.” Why so? “He sits there making judgments about players that are much better than he ever was, believe me, he’s a p***k.

“How can he talk about a player like [current England opening batsman] Alastair Cook who is 10 times the player he ever was — he has a much bigger average and will go on and on. Atherton averaged in the 30s for England and yet he thinks he can judge others.”

Asked whether he minded saying this to a journalist, Flintoff, who was accompanied by his glamorous wife Rachel, said: “I don’t care. Say what you like. There’s no love lost there.”
I would comment, but I never played professional cricket.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's nothing new though is it?

I seem to remember Botham when he'd just retired saying people shouldn't comment on modern cricket, now look what he's doing, sure there are plenty of others too. I'm sure Flintoff will be doing the same soon.

Jacknife

International Captain
Never been any love lost between those two.

Also agree with what George Dobell put up on twitter

Weird how newspapers that can't find the space to report games can, this week, find the space to report gossip and prurient pap...

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah agree with Benchy (damn!). Athers + Hussain are the two best comms for me on Sky, always love their concise commentary, and its just THE BEST when Beefy or Holding say the magic words - we now hand you over to Michael Atherton, and Nasser Hussain. At this point I'm literally dancing in my living room, no joke, though I could be happy that it will be at least 30 minutes until either of Beefy or Holding is back on air, and i can enjoy the cricket.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes Athers and Nasser are probably the best out of the bunch but in general i think that Sky have got a great mix of personalities, a bit of something for everyone, from the more jokey approach from Bumble to Gowers laid back stye to Holding's passion..... then there's Beefy.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A few hacks enjoying the chance to give Flintoff a whack on twitter.

As in, media hacks, not hack park cricketers.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I thought Lancastrians were the ones who were supposed to get along and us Yorkies the ones who argue amongst ourselves.

Mind you I don't think either of them live there anymore.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Good example from Flintoff of all that's wrong about so many players' attitudes. It's like KP whining about Knight's coment that KP shouldn't be in the one day side because KP is a better player than Knight ever was. Absolute bull**** of course. And a major concern if these guys reckon they're above any sort of criticism unless it's coming from an ATG. When they still wouldn't take it either, of course.

Beyond that, simplistic comparisons between the averages of Cook and Atherton are at best meaningless and at worst misleading. You'd struggle to find a weak attack that Atherton faced in his entire England career, which you really couldn't say about Cook at all.

tbf to Cook, he may not sign up to Flintoff's comments. Let's hope not, anyway.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Richards just said he wasn't in his weight class after that incident.

On the point about Cook been better you've got to take into account they've both developed in what are basically separate era on talent I'd say Cook would have done well in Atherton's era, had he grown up as a player in it, however he didn't so its not fair to compare.

As much as I like Flintoff his comments are bit uncalled for he should have had a go at one of the useless media hacks who really do write total bollocks.

Jacknife

International Captain
Good example from Flintoff of all that's wrong about so many players' attitudes. It's like KP whining about Knight's coment that KP shouldn't be in the one day side because KP is a better player than Knight ever was. Absolute bull**** of course. And a major concern if these guys reckon they're above any sort of criticism unless it's coming from an ATG. When they still wouldn't take it either, of course.

Beyond that, simplistic comparisons between the averages of Cook and Atherton are at best meaningless and at worst misleading. You'd struggle to find a weak attack that Atherton faced in his entire England career, which you really couldn't say about Cook at all.

tbf to Cook, he may not sign up to Flintoff's comments. Let's hope not, anyway.
As far as I know KP didn't whine directly about anything Knight said about him, just called him a **** commentator a couple of times.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Atherton gets gig with respected national newspaper and is leading Sky TV commentator - Flintoff stars in series of commercials for Morrisons

As players I preferred to watch Flintoff but as pundits I'll respect Fred's views on the best Beaujolais to stick in my picnic basket, then listen to what Athers has to say about the cricket.