• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Flintoff Jumps The Shark, But Does Correctly Call Michael Atherton A Prick

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Atherton had had Cook's back instead of his own his career average would have been much higher than it was, and higher than anything Cook will achieve

and if Freddie had Cooks ankles/knees he'd have been better than Imran. Pure speculation though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF Athers had ankylosing spondylitis, whereas Fred had a dodgy action that put too much force through his ankle during delivery.

When it was suggested he alter his delivery stride he said something like "I'm too old to change now" at the grand old age of thirty.

Meanwhile Atherton had to perform a whole series of exercises every day just to get himself on the pitch.

As harsh as it is, Fred could've probably prolonged his career if he'd have tried to do something about his delivery action.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Flintoff has waited rather a long time to respond to Atherton's honestly held opinions about his captaincy and overall record. 'Sticking up for Cook' is just his way of camouflaging one of the most embarrassing instances of l'esprit d'escalier of recent times.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF Athers had ankylosing spondylitis, whereas Fred had a dodgy action that put too much force through his ankle during delivery.

When it was suggested he alter his delivery stride he said something like "I'm too old to change now" at the grand old age of thirty.

Meanwhile Atherton had to perform a whole series of exercises every day just to get himself on the pitch.

As harsh as it is, Fred could've probably prolonged his career if he'd have tried to do something about his delivery action.
Tbf it's not as simple as changing his action. When he received that advice he'd been suffering with injuries for years, yes as a result of his action but also undoubtedly connected to an extraordinary workrate. There's been a lot of discussion here recently, and prior to both Bangladesh series in 2010, about us resting players but that never happened to Fred. He was thrown out there time after time to carry the team.

Debris

International 12th Man
You can't really judge a player's intelligence by a few public statements. You would think all former Australian players were idiots if all you listened to was the Channel 9 commentary. Think Channel 9 put it in their contract or something because they sound perfectly reasonable people before that.

Andre

International Regular
Flintoff has waited rather a long time to respond to Atherton's honestly held opinions about his captaincy and overall record. 'Sticking up for Cook' is just his way of camouflaging one of the most embarrassing instances of l'esprit d'escalier of recent times.
That's the thing that I found odd about the whole scenario - Athers comments were over a year ago - why is Freddy blwoing up about it now?

Just seemed odd to me. Flintoff strikes me more as a celebrity these days that he does a former cricketer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't really judge a player's intelligence by a few public statements. You would think all former Australian players were idiots if all you listened to was the Channel 9 commentary.

They aren't?

Seriously, some of the most inexplicably stupid things have been said by some who were guns on the field, Mark Taylor the best example. It defies belief that a guy who managed to combine being a top Test cricketer with being an awesome captain and really good in front the mics says some of the dumbest stuff as a commentator. I..... don't get it.

And before we lionise Flintoff too much and pin his lack of long-term success on being injury-prone, let's not forget he wasn't that good as a Test quick. 4 FC 5-fers and his style of bowling tells you a lot, classic case of a guy whose default length was 2 metres too short. Like Jason Gillespie (forgive me, Dizzy), he'd beat the bat a lot but not get too many bags. Again, like Gillespie, looked far better when he threw it up there and the usual conclusion to be drawn about blokes like that is that they're a bit afraid to be driven. It does and should count against him as a bowler.

uvelocity

International Coach
Won't have you attempting to besmirch the comments of somebody actually behind the microphone thanks

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Met Athers once.. Felt he was a bit of a prick. And I think he is a little too preachy when he talks about cricket..

That said, he is doing a job that is providing him a living. Freddie should know better.