• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Tom Maynard

ajdude

International Coach
wow like I might've never seen him bat but I've seen his name a few times in scorecards, and it's still gut-wrenching! terrible for somebody to die at the age of 23, let alone at all, very tragic

two in a year, first runako now this :\

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely horrible news. Fantastic young limited overs batsman, so much potential. Thoughts go out to his family, friends and teammates.

Was in a minor accident a couple of weeks ago, if memory serves.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
OMG such horrible news. He had so much potential as well, was around the England Lions team.

So young as well. :(

RIP, thoughts and wishes with his family.

Last edited:

jakob1978

School Boy/Girl Captain
Such sad news, he was such a talented young guy.

BBC news reporting that he was hit by a tube train :( so horrible I cant believe it

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
Very sad news.

Unusual accident, I wonder if we'll ever know the full details? :confused:

Still, a very sad loss and my thoughts go out to his family. Much too young to die.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jesus, didn't believe it when I first read it. Absolutely tragic. Such a shame.
Looked like he was finally starting to deliver on his talent too, played a few OD Lions games last year :(

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Just heard this andd sat here stunned.

Very fine player with easily enough talent to hve played at a higher level.

It's far from unkown for people to be killed in such accidents.Often, but by no means always, suicides.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Talented cricketer Tom Maynard was killed this morning after being struck by a Tube train in south London just minutes after he had been stopped by police in his car.

The 23-year-old Surrey batsman was pronounced dead at the scene after the incident near Wimbledon Park station just after 5am.

Scotland Yard said a man was stopped by police in his Mercedes car at 4.15am after he was spotted allegedly driving erratically.

The driver ran off and officers were unable to locate him but shortly after 5am a body - believed to be Mr Maynard’s - was found on the tracks near Wimbledon Park station.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “Officers were called to the line near Wimbledon Park London Underground station on Monday, 18 June after a man was struck by a District line train.

“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.03am and was also attended by Metropolitan Police officers.

“London Ambulance Service medics attended but the man, believed to be 23-years-old, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.03am and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.

“A file will be prepared for the Coroner.”

Surrey cricket star Tom Maynard stopped by police minutes before he was killed by Tube train - Cricket - Sport - Evening Standard