• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Tom Maynard

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Just heard this andd sat here stunned.

Very fine player with easily enough talent to hve played at a higher level.

It's far from unkown for people to be killed in such accidents.Often, but by no means always, suicides.
I think it's probably best not to speculate at the moment.

Still sitting here in shock.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Talented cricketer Tom Maynard was killed this morning after being struck by a Tube train in south London just minutes after he had been stopped by police in his car.

The 23-year-old Surrey batsman was pronounced dead at the scene after the incident near Wimbledon Park station just after 5am.

Scotland Yard said a man was stopped by police in his Mercedes car at 4.15am after he was spotted allegedly driving erratically.

The driver ran off and officers were unable to locate him but shortly after 5am a body - believed to be Mr Maynard’s - was found on the tracks near Wimbledon Park station.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “Officers were called to the line near Wimbledon Park London Underground station on Monday, 18 June after a man was struck by a District line train.

“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.03am and was also attended by Metropolitan Police officers.

“London Ambulance Service medics attended but the man, believed to be 23-years-old, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.03am and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.

“A file will be prepared for the Coroner.”

Surrey cricket star Tom Maynard stopped by police minutes before he was killed by Tube train - Cricket - Sport - Evening Standard
Bloody hell.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My elder son is 23 - my thoughts go out to his family - can't even begin to imagine how they must be feeling

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tragic. RIP.

Oh and the very last thing that the family will need is this kind of journalism from the half-wits of the Press:

half-witted Evening Standard reporter said:
Mr Maynard’s father Matthew, a former Glamorgan batsman who played Test and one day cricket for England, today said he was too upset to talk.
Speaking from the family home in Cardiff, he struggled through tears to say he was not able to talk about his son’s death at this stage.

Eds

International Debutant
Wow, this is so incredibly shocking. Was genuinely speechless. Far too young. :(

RIP.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Miight be some more sad news coming of of cricket in Surrey.

You might have seen a story concerning three young boys injured by a falling tree at Spencer CC on Saturday.

I've just been told by a friend that one has died.

This person is pretty reliable and not at aall inclined to give out wrong information bt I;ve checked some news sources and found no updates yet.

I hope he is wrong but.......

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Miight be some more sad news coming of of cricket in Surrey.

You might have seen a story concerning three young boys injured by a falling tree at Spencer CC on Saturday.

I've just been told by a friend that one has died.

This person is pretty reliable and not at aall inclined to give out wrong information bt I;ve checked some news sources and found no updates yet.

I hope he is wrong but.......
Please let him be wrong. Please.

stumpski

International Captain
Awful, shocking news. Good player to watch and one who'd really settled in at the Oval. Surrey have postponed their next match which was to be played on Wednesday.

Brings back memories of hearing the news about Ben Hollioake, and Graham Kersey before him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Please let him be wrong. Please.
Amen to that. MInd you, the one article I saw talkied about the boys' condition improving, so hopefully they're on the mend.

Shocking news though. My son is 10 and he'll be in the nets tonight. Spencer are one of the teams we play against, so this feels pretty close to home. I reckon all of the parents will be pretty sombre.

Jacknife

International Captain
Absolutely shocking news, had such a big future and seemed a real nice guy, gutted.

The events prior to his death all seem a little strange to say the least, what a waste.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
This sounds like a ****-up on the police's part, I know details are sketchy but eh.

Clearly he was on some kind of drug and not in a normal state of mind. Cant help but feel the police might've prevented this.

Anyway RIP, this is horrible

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This sounds like a ****-up on the police's part, I know details are sketchy but eh.

Clearly he was on some kind of drug and not in a normal state of mind. Cant help but feel the police might've prevented this.

Anyway RIP, this is horrible
Lets wait for more details before passing judgement on Maynard or the police.