Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 181 to 192 of 192

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Pakistan

  1. #181
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,585
    Originally posted by THE MINGSTER
    I'm sure Bond and Astle is out, but Hart and Fleming seem more likely to play. It would be harsh if Hart is dropped, seeing he has done nothing wrong in the Tests, and has been a gritty performer for us.

    What the hell do you mean Harris in the Test side? Riiiiiight......


    I was just responding to your earlier post re Bond & Hart being out for 2 months........as I said I hadn't heard anything else & you had McCullum in your lineup so I agreed that it was the logical progression......I also agree that it would be harsh if he was dropped from the Test team if he is fit, as IMO McCullum has done nothing in comparison head to head to warrant inclusion ahead of Hart.

    Re Harris........if you think I was really serious about that one - he has played over 2 dozen Tests for NZ. In reality his Test career is all but over & I was just using the opportunity to further comment about his time being up & Cairns must be running out of time if Bracewell's form holds true to his comments re players being fit to do their jobs & roles selected for.....

    Good to see Wilson back bowling with pace & taking wickets. Traditionally at this time of year you expect the seam bowlers to be getting some assistance from the wicket, but there have been some big innings & individual scores posted as well, and McIntosh got a big ton in that game so the bowlers have not had it all their own way - which further adds to Wilson's form.

    If the likes of Mason & Walmsley are not too old for ODI selection then neither is Wilson (same age). With Bond out & Butler more of a Test bowler re his control, then I can see no reason why Wilson should not come into contention for the ODI series at least, and as possible cover during the Test series.

    Further more if he opens the bowling for Otago & can bowl at that sort of pace, then I see no reason why he should not be considered in that role with Tuffey in the ODI series, as most of the International bowlers do not bowl a lot quicker than the mid to high 130s mark apart from the genuine quicks.

    I also agree that if Oram looses form then Wilson could get the nod in the Test series, although I would expect Oram to be retained in the first instance.

    The big question mark for me is will they play Cairns, and in what role? I doubt that he has shown enough form with either bat or ball for inclusion, and would have to play man of the match for Cantebury, taking a couple of 5 wicket bags for bugger all and scoring a dominating ton to get even close!!!


  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    75
    Originally posted by anzac
    I was just responding to your earlier post re Bond & Hart being out for 2 months........as I said I hadn't heard anything else & you had McCullum in your lineup so I agreed that it was the logical progression......I also agree that it would be harsh if he was dropped from the Test team if he is fit, as IMO McCullum has done nothing in comparison head to head to warrant inclusion ahead of Hart.

    Re Harris........if you think I was really serious about that one - he has played over 2 dozen Tests for NZ. In reality his Test career is all but over & I was just using the opportunity to further comment about his time being up & Cairns must be running out of time if Bracewell's form holds true to his comments re players being fit to do their jobs & roles selected for.....

    Good to see Wilson back bowling with pace & taking wickets. Traditionally at this time of year you expect the seam bowlers to be getting some assistance from the wicket, but there have been some big innings & individual scores posted as well, and McIntosh got a big ton in that game so the bowlers have not had it all their own way - which further adds to Wilson's form.

    If the likes of Mason & Walmsley are not too old for ODI selection then neither is Wilson (same age). With Bond out & Butler more of a Test bowler re his control, then I can see no reason why Wilson should not come into contention for the ODI series at least, and as possible cover during the Test series.

    Further more if he opens the bowling for Otago & can bowl at that sort of pace, then I see no reason why he should not be considered in that role with Tuffey in the ODI series, as most of the International bowlers do not bowl a lot quicker than the mid to high 130s mark apart from the genuine quicks.

    I also agree that if Oram looses form then Wilson could get the nod in the Test series, although I would expect Oram to be retained in the first instance.

    The big question mark for me is will they play Cairns, and in what role? I doubt that he has shown enough form with either bat or ball for inclusion, and would have to play man of the match for Cantebury, taking a couple of 5 wicket bags for bugger all and scoring a dominating ton to get even close!!!

    Unforunately the selection for the Tests in named on Friday so this was the last chance to impress with the other State Champs game starting on Friday.

    Don't play Cairns. Please.

  3. #183
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    773
    MINGSTER - how did you know Wilson was bowling 137km/h? It sounds an odd number to just pick out of the air. Don't tell me the Outer Oval has a radar more accurate than the cheap one Martin Crowe got from the poilice!

    Which reminds me, I hope Sky have got their act together about that this year. Having Shoaib and Sami registering in the low 130's will be internationally embarrassing.

  4. #184
    U19 Cricketer southern man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    dunedin new zealand
    Posts
    461
    Well at the canterbury game he was bowling at an average of about 135.


  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    75
    Originally posted by Kent
    MINGSTER - how did you know Wilson was bowling 137km/h? It sounds an odd number to just pick out of the air. Don't tell me the Outer Oval has a radar more accurate than the cheap one Martin Crowe got from the poilice!

    Which reminds me, I hope Sky have got their act together about that this year. Having Shoaib and Sami registering in the low 130's will be internationally embarrassing.
    I talked to him, and he said he trained at the indoor facility the other night and said he reached speeds max 137. And I asked him whether he thought he bowled around the same and he said yes.

  6. #186
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,585
    Originally posted by THE MINGSTER
    Unforunately the selection for the Tests in named on Friday so this was the last chance to impress with the other State Champs game starting on Friday.

    Don't play Cairns. Please.

    well surely this means that Cairns has missed his opportunity to show any form to justify his selection...........


    what are the papers saying - are they still in support of his selection? what's the public opinion like??????

  7. #187
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    773
    Anzac - The naming of the test side has been pushed back to Sunday. It's fine here in Wellington so Cairns should get a couple of days to perform with the ball and as a leader.

    To be honest I think most of the media are keen to welcome him back with open arms with so many other star names dropping like flies. Fleming didn't sound too optimistic on the radio this morning - he's seeing a specialist about his prospects, with speculation he may actually have a hernia or a stress fractured pelvis.
    Last edited by Kent; 10-12-2003 at 06:41 PM.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    75
    If Fleming is out. McMillan will be the Test captain, is what I have heard so far.

  9. #189
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    773
    If that's the case, why is Bracewell letting Cairns take over from McMillan for Canterbury tomorrow?

    He does actually have some sway with the provincial side of things, e.g. instructing ND to bat H. Marshall at #3 for the rest of the summer.

  10. #190
    U19 Cricketer southern man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    dunedin new zealand
    Posts
    461
    Originally posted by Kent
    If that's the case, why is Bracewell letting Cairns take over from McMillan for Canterbury tomorrow?

    He does actually have some sway with the provincial side of things, e.g. instructing ND to bat H. Marshall at #3 for the rest of the summer.
    Braceweel is not the canterbury coach is not his choice who captains the team and from what i know Cairns is the offical captain of canterbury.
    Last edited by southern man; 10-12-2003 at 05:52 PM.

  11. #191
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,585
    I can understand them wanting to put back the naming of the squad to have a look at Cairns, but I'm concerned that his selection may be influenced by the injuries to other players.

    IMO this is contrary to what Bracewell has said in the media regarding what he wants from his players. Furthermore of Cairns is not showing form / consistency with bat & ball, then his inclusion will IMO weaken the side as a form batsman will probably be dropped to make way for him - as I can't see them dropping Oram, Tuffey, Vettori & I'm sure they don't want to play Cairns or Oram as opening bowler with Tuffey.

    That type of selection has been the subject of much criticism over the past couple of seasons.


  12. #192
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    773
    Southern Man - sorry, yeah you're right. I now vaguely remember Gary Stead getting the chop and Cairns being installed as their season's captain.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •