Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get rid of over limits in short forms of the game?

Time to get rid of over limits in short forms of the game?

I have been trying to think of a reason why the limit on the number of overs in ODIs and T20s is a good idea and can't really see one. There are several negatives from my point of view

It forces teams to weaken the batting line-up as you need really need 6 players who can bowl. It can also affect the bowling line-up as now you can't afford to have too many bowlers who cannot bat. This often results in teams picking 'reverse all-rounders' (trademark by Dazinho) who should be nowhere near the national side.

Great bowlers can be batted around. I have lost count of the times where batsmen are just blocking out a great bowler so they can attack the lesser bowlers. It feels kind of flat when a bowler is taken off because he is running out of overs to bowl.

You get the unedifying spectacle of some part-timer bowler being carted round by the batsman. As a cricket fan, I want to see the best batsmen facing the best bowlers and not that garbage. Who wants to watch Viv Richards bowl when you could be watching Malcolm Marshall or Joel Garner?

Maybe I am missing something. Anyone have any reasons why over limits are a good idea?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    At school level I'd say it's so others get a chance instead of the premier spinner just bowling all the overs

Leave it as it is. It's an interesting constraint for the captains to manage within.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    At school level I'd say it's so others get a chance instead of the premier spinner just bowling all the overs
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    somewhat agree with Ankit and debris both.

In the sense that the max allotted overs should be 15 instead of 10

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Initially it was probably so limited overs games resembled tests, by forcing captains into using 5 bowlers, as you would do in a test.

I don't mind it the way it is, but I also wouldn't mind if they made it that teams only had to use four bowlers rather than five:

3 bowlers bowl 12 overs

1 nominated 'premier' bowler can bowl 14.

The other possibility (which negates negative bowling), is that a bowler can only continue to bowl beyond his ten overs is if he has a wicket (maybe each wicket "buys" him two more overs). Gets complicated though.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Initially it was probably so limited overs games resembled tests, by forcing captains into using 5 bowlers, as you would do in a test.

I don't mind it the way it is, but I also wouldn't mind if they made it that teams only had to use four bowlers rather than five:

3 bowlers bowl 12 overs

1 nominated 'premier' bowler can bowl 14.

The other possibility (which negates negative bowling), is that a bowler can only continue to bowl beyond his ten overs is if he has a wicket (maybe each wicket "buys" him two more overs). Gets complicated though.
    Flattered that something I came up with has entered the CricketWeb lexicon. Looks like 'Reverse All-Rounders' are here to stay.

One of the positive aspects with the current format in ODIs is that it evens the game up somewhat and increases the risk of upsets. I appreciate that beyond a certain point it becomes a total lottery, so there's a valid question.

Maybe increasing the maximum per bowler to 11 from 10 would cover most of the angles - this would leave six overs instead of ten for the captain to 'find' from somewhere and also remove the convenient symetry of bowlers delivering even numbers of overs.

To some extent, this evens out the situation while delivering more of 'elite vs elite' as per the OP's understandable wishes.

It would also mean fewer RARs in the game, which can only be a good thing!!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I agree with Debris. Hate the fact that teams have to get rid of a batsman in order to accommodate an extra bowler. No wonder Pakistan is **** in this format at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

In Australian domestic cricket bowlers are allowed to bowl 13 overs in an innings now. It definitely adds something to the game, as you can't just block out the best bowler.

10 seems more balanced, but the system we have in place domestically might be worth a go in the stale ODI format.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    somewhat agree with Ankit and debris both.

In the sense that the max allotted overs should be 15 instead of 10
    That would get rid of most of the issues I have. It might end up be effectively no limit because it would be fairly rare for a captain to want to bowl one bowler more than that.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I kinda like it how it is tbh. It adds a spectacle to the game, when you know that you're best bowler only has a few overs left when a game is tight. The captains are forced to decide whether to go in for the kill with their best bowler, or delay him for the end. If you take away restrictions, the best bowler would just bowl all the way through that period.

I also think it causes a much more interesting balance issue for teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    In Australian domestic cricket bowlers are allowed to bowl 13 overs in an innings now. It definitely adds something to the game, as you can't just block out the best bowler.

10 seems more balanced, but the system we have in place domestically might be worth a go in the stale ODI format.
    only 2 allowed 13 overs iirc
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    IMO the limit should be 5
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    IMO the limit should be 5
    And batsmen should be forced to retire after batting 10 overs.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Should have happened ages ago. I don't see what benefit forcing weaker bowlers and weaker batsmen to play has on the game. The reason ODI's stop dead after the 15th over mark is because bowlers more or less stop trying to take wickets, that's partly 'cause you've got the ****ty bowlers on. If Saeed Ajmal is good enough to bowl 25 overs let him do so. Further more, I find it astonishing that there isn't a massive group of people trying to lobby the ICC to change it

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Huh? I mean, Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Lee. Holding, Marshall, Garner, Walsh/Croft. Anderson, Broad, Swann, Bres/Trem etc
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information