• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI All Time XI

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Based on player performance in ODIs

1. Adam Gilchrist (wk)

2. Sachin Tendulkar

3. Viv Richards

4. Ricky Ponting

5. AB DeVilliers

6. Mike Hussey

7. Andrew Symonds

8. Imran Khan (c)

9. Wasim Akram

10. Muralitharan

11. Joel Garner

Notes:

Great opening combo. L/R handed. Both can be destructive.

Viv, Ponting, DeVilliers, Symonds and Hussey provide a brilliant fielding combo in the inner circle.

Hussey could be replaced with some others, but I wanted the left hander in the middle order. Bevan is overrated in my opinion, Hussey a better big hitter and equal at turning the strike over.

Symonds over Klusener and Kapil, because of his fielding, which I rate as vital in ODIs. Also can bowl med pace or offies.

Imran captain and fine AR.

Wasim, beast of and ODI bowler and adds left arm variety.

Murali, best of the ODI spinners.

Garner just edges out McGrath, just try and score off him.

Last edited:

Khaseer

Cricket Spectator
Quality line up. Don't see anything wrong with it. Perhaps de Villiers can be replaced by someone imo

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Sachin Tendulkar
Hashim Amla
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
Michael Hussey
MS Dhoni (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Joel Garner

12th Man Shoaib Akhtar

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Viv Richards
Dean Jones
Martin Crowe
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Shahid Afridi
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Joel Garner

Shane Bond (12th man)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Based on player performance in ODIs

1. Adam Gilchrist (wk)

2. Sachin Tendulkar

3. Viv Richards

4. Ricky Ponting

5. AB DeVilliers

6. Mike Hussey

7. Andrew Symonds

8. Imran Khan (c)

9. Wasim Akram

10. Muralitharan

11. Joel Garner
5th bowler might be an issue

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Wow, completely forgot Lance Klusener, one of my favourite ODI players. Still remember his heroics in the 99 World Cup. He would definitely make it into the All Time XI ODI team.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Ponting
Hussey/Dhoni
Bevan
Klusener/Watson
Lee
Akram
Warne
McGrath

Last edited:

Red

5th bowler might be an issue
Symonds. Can do the job.

Kapil (or Klusener) would be the only change I'd possible make. Kapil was a remarkable one day cricketer, averaged 24 with the bat at a SR of over 95, as well as being an excellent bowler.

I do love Symonds' fielding element though, which is a large part of why I chose him. But Kapil is a beast of a lower order batsman, and a better bowler.....hmmmm

S. Tendulkar

A. Gilchrist

V. Richards

R. Ponting

AB DeVilliers

M. Hussey

A. Symonds OR Kapil Dev

Imran

Wasim

Murali

Garner

BTW, Hashim Amla is putting together a pretty impressive career, isn't he? Almost an ATG already.

Blokes like Dean Jones can be forgotten here. Bat technology has come a long way in the last 20 year, meaning more boundaries and higher SRs. But for a while, he was probably the best ODI bat in the world.

Last edited:

Red

I'll post my second XI as well, just because I'm pretty bored today!

First XI

1. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Ricky Ponting
5. AB DeVilliers
6. Mike Hussey
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Imran Khan (c)
9. Wasim Akram
10. Muralitharan
11. Joel Garner

Second XI

1. H. Amla
2. S. Jayasuriya
3. D. Jones
4. J. Kallis
5. MS Dhoni
6. M. Bevan
7. K. Dev
8. S. Afridi
9. A. Donald
10. Waqar Younis
11. G. McGrath

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar
Watson
Richards
Jones
Abbas
Bevan
Dhoni
Akram
Garner
Muralitharan
McGrath

Tough call between Ambrose and McGrath there. Went for the one who did it for longer.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Dean Jones
4. Zaheer Abbas
5. Viv Richards
6. Michael Bevan
7. Lance Klusener
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Wasim Akram
10. Joel Garner
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

12. Shane Bond/Jonty Rhodes

An opening partnership of Tendulkar and Gilchrist would work extremely well. The top runscorer in ODIs ever, and the man who redefined the wicketkeeper-batsman role in ODIs would form a formidable partnership.

Jones redefined running between the wickets in his era (and, as I worked out in another thread, his statistics roughly equate to Ponting's when adjusted for era); Abbas averaged near-as-makes-no-difference 50 batting in the top order; and Viv is, well, Viv. Average of 40+ at an SR of 90 in the 1980s was a superhuman effort.

Michael Bevan and Lance Klusener, should they be required, would be a formidable finishing pair - Bevan's calculating efficiency and ability to bat under pressure, combined with Kluesner's hard-hitting style would be a perfect match to round out an innings.

Shaun Pollock and Wasim Akram can chip in with vital runs, should a bowling attack get that far down in 50 overs.

An opening bowling partnership of Akram and Garner would be lethal; Garner gaining steep bounce from any surface and not letting batsmen score, while Akram swings it all over the place. Both operate at good pace, and would make even the best batsmen uncomfortable.

Shaun Pollock and Muttiah Muralitharan are both dangerous and economical - 393 wickets at 24, econ 3.7 & 534 wickets at 23, econ 3.9, respectively - they would put the brakes on any batting line-up, and strike regularly throughout.

Klusener is a more than capable, if somewhat expensive, fifth bowler, but that load can be shared between Richards, Tendulkar and Bevan if need be. Getting another 10 overs would not be a problem.

Shane Bond is unlucky to miss out, and as such is named 12th man. However, Jonty Rhodes would be the one called upon to field if someone needs a break.

Second XI:
Hashim Amla | Mark Waugh | Brian Lara | Jacques Kallis | Inzamam-ul-Haq | MS Dhoni | Imran Khan | Brett Lee | Saqlain Mushtaq | Shane Bond | Waqar Younis
(12th: Virat Kohli)

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Tendulkar
Watson
Richards
Jones
Abbas
Bevan
Dhoni
Akram
Garner
Muralitharan
McGrath

Tough call between Ambrose and McGrath there. Went for the one who did it for longer.
This is the best team so far IMO. Excellent batting and bowling, quality fifth bowling option, match winners everywhere.

smash84

The Tiger King
This is the best team so far IMO. Excellent batting and bowling, quality fifth bowling option, match winners everywhere.
pretty solid team indeed.

Interesting choice of keeper in dhoni.

I do think Dhoni has done enough to merit a place in AT ODI side ahead of Gilchrist.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1st XI

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards*
Zaheer Abbas
AB de Villiers
Micheal Bevan
MS Dhoni+
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

2nd XI

Adam Gilchrist+
Saeed Anwar
Hashim Amla
Ricky Ponting
Micheal Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Lance Klusener
Waqar Younis
Curtley Ambrose
Saqlain Mushtaq
Joel Garner

Edit; forgot Garner. He replaces Marshall.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me, it would have to be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist (w)
Viv
Ponting
Lara
Bevan
Pollock (c)
Wasim