• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI All Time XI

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm gonna put it out there that I'd seriously consider picking Flintoff. The only thing is, Flintoff took some time to get set, so I'm not sure #7 would really work out, and I don't think I could justify batting him higher at this sort of level.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Flintoff, in the 2005 Ashes series, was an absolute force.

If he'd sustained that sort of form for 3-4 years, he'd be considered one of the greatest all rounders of all time, no questions. Quite possibly the greatest.

His bowling was completely brutal, and his batting the same.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff, in the 2005 Ashes series, was an absolute force.

If he'd sustained that sort of form for 3-4 years, he'd be considered one of the greatest all rounders of all time, no questions. Quite possibly the greatest.

His bowling was completely brutal, and his batting the same.
I beg to differ. Flintoff even at his peak is class below what Imran and Hadlee being doing for half of their careers with the ball in tests. In ODIs it goes to Pollock and Klusener.

Last edited:

Red

I beg to differ. Flintoff even at his peak is class below what Imran and Hadlee being doing for half of their careers with the ball in tests. In ODIs it goes to Pollock and Klusener.
You're probably right, I concede. My memory of him in that series is probably better than the reality.

He was one of those guys who I thought could have been an out and out ATG, but in the end just looks like a decent all-rounder. Batting and bowling average of around 30 for each discipline. At times he looked absolutely devastating, both with bat and ball, but I think lack of fitness and discipline meant he didn't quite reach his potential.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised Anwar doesn't get more of a mention when you consider the era he played in (pitches, attacks he faced and the way ODIs were generally played). Then I remember the competition he's up against and it suddenly seems a lot fairer.

H4G

Banned
Saeed Anwar
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni (WK)
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (C)
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Saqlain Mushtaq

In tests Murali >> Saqlain
In ODIs Saqlain > Murali

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
The opener slot is a nightmare to decide.

Two out of Sachin, Gilchrist, M Waugh, Jayasuriya, Anwar and a few other guns...

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I just explained how it doesn't.

Can you explain how it does?

Unless you have the wrong concept for batting average (which I think you do) otherwise Ankit's statement is correct.

Great Point
Is this a serious post? More not outs = less no. of completed innings = dividing the total no. of runs by a smaller number = higher outcome!

If someone never got out, his average would be something/0 = infinity!!

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Surprised Anwar doesn't get more of a mention when you consider the era he played in (pitches, attacks he faced and the way ODIs were generally played). Then I remember the competition he's up against and it suddenly seems a lot fairer.
Plus he pounded the Indian dross for a lot of those runs.

Red

For today:

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
AB DeVilliers
Mike Hussey
Andrew Flintoff
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Murali

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
This will take some beating:

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Brian Lara
AB De Villiers
Yuvraj Singh
Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

Looking at the field of Yuvraj, AB and Rhodes, with McGrath moving it away from the right hander... good luck!

Last edited:

Red

I don't really get picking Jonty when you could have Ponting or Symonds who are as good as fielders as Jonty and better batsmen

kingkallis

International Coach
If we do this today, my favorite would be:

Sachin Tendulkar /
Hashim Amla /
Viv Richards / o
Ricky Ponting /
AB de Villiers / +
Micheal Bevan /
Lance Klusener / o
Shaun Pollock o /
Wasim Akram o /