Thread: Test cricket in Victoria Park, Auckland

Test cricket in Victoria Park, Auckland

Cricket: Test vision for Victoria Park - Sport - NZ Herald News

Absolutely love the idea. Don't see the rugby club just saying "fair enough" and moving out of the way, though.

But good on Wells for trying to get us a decent cricket ground (especially one a 5min walk away from my work!)

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    You can have Napier's test matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Always thought Western Springs speedway was a fair candidate. No complaints about Vic though, would be a similar setup to what Seddon Park is to Hamilton, being just minutes from town and all. From what I remember of living in Aucks, anyway.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 13-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Cricket: Test vision for Victoria Park - Sport - NZ Herald News

Absolutely love the idea. Don't see the rugby club just saying "fair enough" and moving out of the way, though.
    Yeah, it's a bit much to expect rugby players to comprehend that Cricket and Rugby are played in different seasons.

Haha, yeah. And I'm not sure how the permanent grass bank mentioned in that Vic Park plan will work with the rugby club's desire to squeeze as many rugby fields as they possibly can into that space.

Having said that, maybe having one team have to run uphill could make some rugby contests more interesting - the current NZ-Ireland series, for instance.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Excellent idea. It's a disgrace that Auckland does not have test cricket at the moment. Plus could watch the game by repeatedly driving past on the motorway in both directions

motorway patrol: old beat up commodore pulled over for repeatedly driving up and down freeway, find 49 year old virgin at the wheel dressed in cricketing attire
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Very very much in favour of this idea - has been fairly pathetic that Auckland hasn't had a decent test ground in, well, ever. Eden Park was always too small, lacked atmosphere and was a royal pain in the backside to get to, while grounds like Colin Maiden Park were too far away from the city centre.

Hopefully it won't be killed by the clash with rugby/bureaucratic red tape which stops things ever happening in Auckland.

On a completely different note, wish Jeremy Wells was still on tv.

International 12th Man
    I love Jeremy Wells.

This is pretty pie in the sky stuff and probably won't get off the ground, but it has merit. What a great spot for an international venue.

There wil be a few homeless people opposed to this move as well. I've played there more than a few times (awful ground) and shared changing rooms with a few bums, including some very unsavoury moments that I don't wish to share.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    motorway patrol: old beat up commodore pulled over for repeatedly driving up and down freeway, find 49 year old virgin at the wheel dressed in cricketing attire
    You should have told me earlier you were planning to be over. I would have started clearing it with border controls

Thread Information