• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket in Victoria Park, Auckland

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Always thought Western Springs speedway was a fair candidate. No complaints about Vic though, would be a similar setup to what Seddon Park is to Hamilton, being just minutes from town and all. From what I remember of living in Aucks, anyway.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, yeah. And I'm not sure how the permanent grass bank mentioned in that Vic Park plan will work with the rugby club's desire to squeeze as many rugby fields as they possibly can into that space.

Having said that, maybe having one team have to run uphill could make some rugby contests more interesting - the current NZ-Ireland series, for instance.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent idea. It's a disgrace that Auckland does not have test cricket at the moment. Plus could watch the game by repeatedly driving past on the motorway in both directions :happy:

uvelocity

International Coach
motorway patrol: old beat up commodore pulled over for repeatedly driving up and down freeway, find 49 year old virgin at the wheel dressed in cricketing attire

Meridio

International Regular
Very very much in favour of this idea - has been fairly pathetic that Auckland hasn't had a decent test ground in, well, ever. Eden Park was always too small, lacked atmosphere and was a royal pain in the backside to get to, while grounds like Colin Maiden Park were too far away from the city centre.

Hopefully it won't be killed by the clash with rugby/bureaucratic red tape which stops things ever happening in Auckland.

On a completely different note, wish Jeremy Wells was still on tv.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I love Jeremy Wells.

This is pretty pie in the sky stuff and probably won't get off the ground, but it has merit. What a great spot for an international venue.

There wil be a few homeless people opposed to this move as well. I've played there more than a few times (awful ground) and shared changing rooms with a few bums, including some very unsavoury moments that I don't wish to share.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
motorway patrol: old beat up commodore pulled over for repeatedly driving up and down freeway, find 49 year old virgin at the wheel dressed in cricketing attire
You should have told me earlier you were planning to be over. I would have started clearing it with border controls