• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, one or two of the English posters anyway. Most of us thought it might be an idea to wait until we were more than one day into the series before making any sort of judgement.
It was only Philanderer I slagged off and even in perfect bowling conditions yesterday the only wicket he got was the number 9.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
runs have started to come
Aye - which was always likely to happen after Smith & Amla had settled in again. This is looking like being a very long day from an English pov. Even if they are 150 behind when the new ball arrives that won't count for much if these two are still in.

flibbertyjibber

Aye - which was always likely to happen after Smith & Amla had settled in again. This is looking like being a very long day from an English pov. Even if they are 150 behind when the new ball arrives that won't count for much if these two are still in.
Depends if that ball swings much though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was only Philanderer I slagged off and even in perfect bowling conditions yesterday the only wicket he got was the number 9.
One or two guys were bagging Morkel as well. And it's still too early to write off Philander after a day and a bit.

I'm just a bit fatalistic about these things - what goes around tends to come around.

benchmark00

It's the worst of the worst for people to say that SA had such elite bowling conditions but all of a sudden England are operating in a batsman's paradise. Looks pretty overcast out there to me, and Philander had no problem getting it to nip around off the seam.

flibbertyjibber

One or two guys were bagging Morkel as well. And it's still too early to write off Philander after a day and a bit.

I'm just a bit fatalistic about these things - what goes around tends to come around.
I have always been a Morkel fan, he looks underdone and still got 4 wickets. He may be firing and extremely dangerous by the time Headingley arrives.

As for Steyn, well he is class. You do wonder if he is carrying an injury though as he only bowled 5 overs in the morning session yesterday and looked brilliant yet wasn't used again till after lunch which seemed strange.

Spikey

Not to mention Philander was derided for supposedly only performing in supposed elite conditions

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's the worst of the worst for people to say that SA had such elite bowling conditions but all of a sudden England are operating in a batsman's paradise. Looks pretty overcast out there to me, and Philander had no problem getting it to nip around off the seam.
Yup, there is some cloud cover in these parts. And wtf is Broad still bowling round the wicket at Smith? Sort it out Strauss.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought that the dry wicket was really going to come into play for Swann here.

How's that rough helping against the left-hander, btw?

Burgey

While Parra were dismembering the hapless co-competition leaders, it seems SA has really kicked on runs-wise.

Want to hear Hussain an Botham back with the cheer leading now. From the way they were commentating, every ball was a wicket waiting to happen. Good to hear Gower giving some credit where it's due.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I have always been a Morkel fan, he looks underdone and still got 4 wickets. He may be firing and extremely dangerous by the time Headingley arrives.

As for Steyn, well he is class. You do wonder if he is carrying an injury though as he only bowled 5 overs in the morning session yesterday and looked brilliant yet wasn't used again till after lunch which seemed strange.
Yup. btw are you going to any of the Headingly test?

flibbertyjibber

While Parra were dismembering the hapless co-competition leaders, it seems SA has really kicked on runs-wise.

Want to hear Hussain an Botham back with the cheer leading now. From the way they were commentating, every ball was a wicket waiting to happen. Good to hear Gower giving some credit where it's due.
These two have batted really well, England haven't bowled badly or brilliantly but these two have batted sensibly and safely. Fascinating cricket to watch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara bowling ahead of Bresnan?

EDIT
and promptly taking the edge of Smith's bat.

Last edited: