• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not before 6:30pm on Monday 20th August at Lords. :D
lol ... :p

This one is for SA to loose - and boy - they are certainly good at loosing an advantage.
England with Bopara possibly anchoring might still make a game out of it and if Prior adds some runs like in the 1st innings and SA has to bat again, time might be running out.

But lets face it, 6 wickets to get and still 150 runs to make to make SA bat again is a tallish order.

Well - thanks everybody - had a great time. See you all tomorrow I should hope!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think this will come down to the first session. If we get through it wicketless I can see us finishing with a comfortable draw. Lose one in the first few overs and I think we'll be all out half an hour after lunch.

Runs are vital though. Get that lead wiped out and it's a different game because then the Saffas start worrying about time that bit more. So we need to be positive but sensible. It's certainly not the two batsmen I'd choose to have fighting our corner in this situation but so be it.

If Ravi sees us through tomorrow .then I forgive him for Headingley 09 and all that jazz

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some quality beersnaking though. Particularly proud of my effort
There sure was, loved the Wiggins celebration as well.

Actually really enjoyed today despite the score, I know we are supposed to be good now and everything but there still is something perfectly natural about us getting steadily more humiliated on a rare day of lovely weather.

Seeing someone getting a triple is also pretty special particularly in England and made all the better by the fact it was one my favourite batsmen. Kallis just ridiculously untroubled but did enjoy that now and again he would play a shot that would remind you quite how talented he.

Less said about England the better of course, KP pathetic but nothing compared to that ****ing sweep. P

Going tomorrow to watch Bopara's match saving heroics.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Seems like Pieterson's old mate Afridi is starting to have a lot of influence on him. The brainless batting, the retiring and un-retiring and before you know it he will turn into a tail ender like Afridi.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I haven't been online for so long, BUT WDAF AMLA (Anagram for ALAM) what a performance you beautiful, beautiful man.

Gelmatron

Cricket Spectator
Well done, Amla!! A simply brilliant 300 by him. I always knew that he had the talent and quiet determination to succeed at the highest level since I first saw him bat at this level a number of years ago. Hashim resounds that classic quote "Form is temporary, Class is permanent". Congrats to him again, and good luck for the rest of the series.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tour match at Worcester, then onto Headingly, Smith'll miss the tour match to return home for the birth of his first child then be back for Leeds I think.

BeeGee

International Captain
One thing that worries me is that Anderson was unable to swing three new balls between yesterday and today yet Steyn and Philander have been getting gentle outswing with this ball.

England are usually masters of making the new ball swing and the old one reverse, so what has been going wrong in this innings? Have they all lost their mojo?
This has been the main difference between the teams, imo.

The SA batsmen are just as vulnerable to the moving ball as anyone. In their last Test series, NZ managed to bowl SA out for under 260 twice. This is the same NZ side that has almost lost by an innings to the WI presidents XI. :dry:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England are losing but SA are beating them. So conflicted right now.

Bopara to end day 5 undefeated. Just feel like something (incredible/amazingly/apocalyptically) unlikely is in the wind.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the same NZ side that has almost lost by an innings to the WI presidents XI. :dry:
This is a pretty good point. Clearly Swann has underperformed here as well. During the 1st session of day one, all the commentators were banging on about how dangerous the rough would be for the left handers, but Swann only got Smith to play and miss a couple of times at most from what I saw. I suspect the commentators misread the extent of the spin on offer, but I think you'd have hoped for more action from Swann - at least from what I've seen (which, to be fair, is only the first session of each day)

Top_Cat

tbh, I find Swann a bit of an all-or-nothing bowler. If the conditions are good for spin or he's just taken a wicket, he's all over you. Bit of resistance or the pitch a bit benign, backs right off from what I've seen.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just saw highlights of the England innings. What the **** was KP playing at? What happened to get yourself in, see off the opening burst, play circumspect until you're set? And how in all that is holy do you forget that a length ball on middle stump should be - gasp - defended on the front foot? The shot that he got dropped on too, awful.

Strauss needs a bollocking too.

Last edited:

Burgey

Tour match at Worcester, then onto Headingly, Smith'll miss the tour match to return home for the birth of his first child then be back for Leeds I think.
England need to think about not letting any of their bowlers play between Tests. Get the impression they're very jaded. Maybe make one change - get some fresh legs in. I'll let others contemplate who they think may need a rest.

And it would be just that, a rest. Much as players hate the notion, it's the coming reality of a busy schedule.