Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't actually hate Bopara thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Pretty sure you're the only one who still thinks he's got it in him to make a success international #4 consistently, barring perhaps his mother and the Cricinfo staff.
    Well I do think it would be the best chance of him to succeed in an England shirt as a batsman, but I also appreciate there are currently better options than him. He was excellent in that position against the Aussies though last year.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Gonna be honest I'd rather see Trego at this point.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    He was pretty damn good in the summer though, in a wide variety of conditions. The big issues though is that pretty much all of those overs were in the middle, and if you want those overs used by Woakes and the spinners it leaves just Bopara and Finn for the death.

Of course it's all pointless talk really, because it will never come close to happening. England have usually favoured 5 bowlers in limited overs recently, so the idea that they'll have a part time bowler at 8 and a guy who averages nearly 40 with the bat in FC cricket at 9 is just madness.
    Woakes will be gone when Broad's back though. Bopara in for Jade.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I doubt Broad will play a part in the series. He was only planned to arrive in the country in time for the 3rd or 4th ODI, and as far as I know his flights have been delayed due to the weather. It's unlikely he would have been fit anyway though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Meant more from a future perspective. What with Ravi not being in the squad for India either.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Jimmeh will be back in the frame then though. And he's obviously a better bowler than Bopara, so that ends the whole idea of Bopara getting a place as one of the best seamers.

Bopara's bowling is so good that he nearly has the worst average in Test history.

You can get a few cheap spells in if you're a part-timer in ODIs. It's part of the problem with the format. Doesn't make him a reliable bowling option. The moment you had to rely on Sad Sack bowling a few overs he'd get hammered.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

If he's going to succeed anywhere as an ODI player it's going to be at #4. We can big up his bowling all we like but realistically he's a batsman first, and yes we do have much better seamers, just not necessarily ones in India right now.

I want Cook and KP opening, and the only reason Trott isn't batting #3 right now is because Bell's in good nick and they're trying things. Morgan should really bat #5 with a succession of keepers, allrounders and unproven 21-year olds to follow. Lumping together Bairstow, Buttler and Keiswetter does not a middle order make. So our #4 options right now look like Bell, Root, and Ravi, with a view to the likes of Stokes in the future.

Bell is probably the most negative option there as it's compromising the bloke away from what is clearly a better position for him, and he doesn't bring anything with the ball (though tbf, of those, he is the best fielder). It seems annoying to go back to Bopara at this stage, but last summer he was putting in some fine performances and as long as Stokes puts together enough domestic performances to make everyone forget how pants he was in his first run then there's no one else who fits - in theory - quite as well as Bopara.

To be honest I see him as something of a placeholder even if he does get another gig, and if they want to run with Root to take a longer term approach then that's fine, but we're kidding ourselves if we're saying the bloke has more of anything than Bopara other than potential.

I find it weird to be defending him as I don't actually care about his inclusion at all. The way people rag him can get quite bizarre though. He's been a frustrating presence for the most part but he's also won matches, which I don't think should be swept under the rug just for convenience's sake.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 17-01-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Pick James Taylor at 4 #ainthappening
    Last edited by Marcuss; 17-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    If he's going to succeed anywhere as an ODI player it's going to be at #4. We can big up his bowling all we like but realistically he's a batsman first, and yes we do have much better seamers, just not necessarily ones in India right now.

I want Cook and KP opening, and the only reason Trott isn't batting #3 right now is because Bell's in good nick and they're trying things. Morgan should really bat #5 with a succession of keepers, allrounders and unproven 21-year olds to follow. Lumping together Bairstow, Buttler and Keiswetter does not a middle order make. So our #4 options right now look like Bell, Root, and Ravi, with a view to the likes of Stokes in the future.

Bell is probably the most negative option there as it's compromising the bloke away from what is clearly a better position for him, and he doesn't bring anything with the ball (though tbf, of those, he is the best fielder). It seems annoying to go back to Bopara at this stage, but last summer he was putting in some fine performances and as long as Stokes puts together enough domestic performances to make everyone forget how pants he was in his first run then there's no one else who fits - in theory - quite as well as Bopara.

To be honest I see him as something of a placeholder even if he does get another gig, and if they want to run with Root to take a longer term approach then that's fine, but we're kidding ourselves if we're saying the bloke has more of anything than Bopara other than potential.

I find it weird to be defending him as I don't actually care about his inclusion at all. The way people rag him can get quite bizarre though. He's been a frustrating presence for the most part but he's also won matches, which I don't think should be swept under the rug just for convenience's sake.
    We've every right to have a go at someone who's bizarrely and shamelessly plugged by the media and Cricinfo in particular when he has been unrelentingly **** for England, yet has somehow accumulated 118 matches for the side.

His attitude stinks, he whines about the ball doing too much. He's soft as ****e. He goes missing for weeks because he gets dumped by his girlfriend. He doesn't have half as much talent and potential as is made out - he's just an above average county batsman who hasn't even dominated at that level. His batting technique is pretty weak, if he didn't get out so meekly in the first place he would get worked over anyway.

As for Stokes he's had 4 innings for England - hell he top scored in one of them. Most of the time he was facing Ashwin, someone who is difficult initially, particularly if you've not faced anyone like him before. He also wasn't fit to bowl at the time, which is a big part of his armoury. Sad Sack has had 118 games. Been proven turd and people are on about giving him more chances when there are guys who could have a future with England being pissed about or waiting on the sidelines. It's the unfairness that really gets on my tits.

Essex wide boy has his time about 6 times over. Enough already.

He is back. He will always be back.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Thank you KP
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Unbelievable, would rather have about 10 blokes over him, and I started this train-wreck of a thread.

but, um, yay, I suppose.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

It's impossible to feel happy or angry any more. It's just kind of a numbness.

Oh this is brilliant

Cricinfo now to plug for Ravi to replace Trott in the top order because he is a better bowler.

England to "rest" Trott again in the near future...

They may have finally dropped Sammy and Dirtbag, but this More than makes up for it in my book.

P.s. Brezo is another persistent ODI selection I never quite got (even when not recovering from surgery) as he has never taken many wickets and tends to get spanked a bit as well.

Edit oh wait he's in there for his lower order batting isn't he
    Last edited by KungFu_Kallis; 03-05-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information