• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I don't actually hate Bopara thread

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Jimmeh will be back in the frame then though. And he's obviously a better bowler than Bopara, so that ends the whole idea of Bopara getting a place as one of the best seamers.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bopara's bowling is so good that he nearly has the worst average in Test history.

You can get a few cheap spells in if you're a part-timer in ODIs. It's part of the problem with the format. Doesn't make him a reliable bowling option. The moment you had to rely on Sad Sack bowling a few overs he'd get hammered.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If he's going to succeed anywhere as an ODI player it's going to be at #4. We can big up his bowling all we like but realistically he's a batsman first, and yes we do have much better seamers, just not necessarily ones in India right now.

I want Cook and KP opening, and the only reason Trott isn't batting #3 right now is because Bell's in good nick and they're trying things. Morgan should really bat #5 with a succession of keepers, allrounders and unproven 21-year olds to follow. Lumping together Bairstow, Buttler and Keiswetter does not a middle order make. So our #4 options right now look like Bell, Root, and Ravi, with a view to the likes of Stokes in the future.

Bell is probably the most negative option there as it's compromising the bloke away from what is clearly a better position for him, and he doesn't bring anything with the ball (though tbf, of those, he is the best fielder). It seems annoying to go back to Bopara at this stage, but last summer he was putting in some fine performances and as long as Stokes puts together enough domestic performances to make everyone forget how pants he was in his first run then there's no one else who fits - in theory - quite as well as Bopara.

To be honest I see him as something of a placeholder even if he does get another gig, and if they want to run with Root to take a longer term approach then that's fine, but we're kidding ourselves if we're saying the bloke has more of anything than Bopara other than potential.

I find it weird to be defending him as I don't actually care about his inclusion at all. The way people rag him can get quite bizarre though. He's been a frustrating presence for the most part but he's also won matches, which I don't think should be swept under the rug just for convenience's sake.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

If he's going to succeed anywhere as an ODI player it's going to be at #4. We can big up his bowling all we like but realistically he's a batsman first, and yes we do have much better seamers, just not necessarily ones in India right now.

I want Cook and KP opening, and the only reason Trott isn't batting #3 right now is because Bell's in good nick and they're trying things. Morgan should really bat #5 with a succession of keepers, allrounders and unproven 21-year olds to follow. Lumping together Bairstow, Buttler and Keiswetter does not a middle order make. So our #4 options right now look like Bell, Root, and Ravi, with a view to the likes of Stokes in the future.

Bell is probably the most negative option there as it's compromising the bloke away from what is clearly a better position for him, and he doesn't bring anything with the ball (though tbf, of those, he is the best fielder). It seems annoying to go back to Bopara at this stage, but last summer he was putting in some fine performances and as long as Stokes puts together enough domestic performances to make everyone forget how pants he was in his first run then there's no one else who fits - in theory - quite as well as Bopara.

To be honest I see him as something of a placeholder even if he does get another gig, and if they want to run with Root to take a longer term approach then that's fine, but we're kidding ourselves if we're saying the bloke has more of anything than Bopara other than potential.

I find it weird to be defending him as I don't actually care about his inclusion at all. The way people rag him can get quite bizarre though. He's been a frustrating presence for the most part but he's also won matches, which I don't think should be swept under the rug just for convenience's sake.
We've every right to have a go at someone who's bizarrely and shamelessly plugged by the media and Cricinfo in particular when he has been unrelentingly **** for England, yet has somehow accumulated 118 matches for the side.

His attitude stinks, he whines about the ball doing too much. He's soft as ****e. He goes missing for weeks because he gets dumped by his girlfriend. He doesn't have half as much talent and potential as is made out - he's just an above average county batsman who hasn't even dominated at that level. His batting technique is pretty weak, if he didn't get out so meekly in the first place he would get worked over anyway.

As for Stokes he's had 4 innings for England - hell he top scored in one of them. Most of the time he was facing Ashwin, someone who is difficult initially, particularly if you've not faced anyone like him before. He also wasn't fit to bowl at the time, which is a big part of his armoury. Sad Sack has had 118 games. Been proven turd and people are on about giving him more chances when there are guys who could have a future with England being pissed about or waiting on the sidelines. It's the unfairness that really gets on my ****.

Essex wide boy has his time about 6 times over. Enough already.

grecian

Unbelievable, would rather have about 10 blokes over him, and I started this train-wreck of a thread.

but, um, yay, I suppose.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Oh this is brilliant :lol:

Cricinfo now to plug for Ravi to replace Trott in the top order because he is a better bowler.

England to "rest" Trott again in the near future...

They may have finally dropped Sammy and Dirtbag, but this More than makes up for it in my book.

P.s. Brezo is another persistent ODI selection I never quite got (even when not recovering from surgery) as he has never taken many wickets and tends to get spanked a bit as well.

Edit oh wait he's in there for his lower order batting isn't he

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He needs to do it on a regular basis. Had enough chances and only now starting to give a return. Very lucky to have been given as many chances but glad he is finally doing something.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Obviously a good knock today but it's actually far from the best he's done for England. We've been here before as well.

That said I do agree that this should be his ongoing role in the side, if anything, with the top four out of bounds.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Meh, I don't like the balance of the side at the moment. Could've really done with Finn yesterday. Bopara's nearly undroppable now though, given his last two performances. WAC.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't actually think he deserved to get canned after last summer. In 2012 he averaged 40 with the bat and 25 with the ball.

It just seemed like it was about time he should be dropped again.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The main issue was the personal off-field issues and the subsequent lack of form in county cricket after his return, wasn't it?