Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse finds a way to legally punch his critics

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Jesse finds a way to legally punch his critics

Radio Sport host Mark Watson has agreed to fight New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder next month.

The pair will make their boxing debuts on the undercard of the KFC Godfather of all Fight Nights, featuring Shane Cameron v Monte Barrett, on July 5 at SkyCity in Auckland.

Watson hosts The Cauldron on Saturday mornings at Radio Sport and will fight over three two-minute rounds with the cricketer.

Ryder is using the bout to get fit in his drive to return to cricket in a healthy state. He aims to reduce his 106kg weight to 96kg during the training.

Watson says he is a keen sportsperson looking for a different challenge.

"I'm just a keen sportsperson looking for a challenge in a different sport," Watson says.

"Will I be terrified on the night? Hell yes.

"But I want to front up. I need to push myself in something. It's really about me versus me."

He has been guaranteed it won't be promoted as a grudge match.

"I have no personal issue with Jesse and have been guaranteed it will not be promoted as a grudge match.

"I thought hard about this but concluded it's easy for talkshow hosts to be accused of hiding behind the mike."

Watson, who formerly ran Triathlon New Zealand's European base, for several years, is renowned for hard-hitting opinions.

In the past he has accused New Zealand cricketers, including Ryder, of failing to meet the standards of physical fitness required at elite level in other sports.
    Ryder takes critic into boxing ring - National - NZ Herald News

Allow me to introduce our international readers to Mark Watson's opinions, from just two test matches.

Quote Originally Posted by 99*
    Gave a quick listen to him tonight to see what he had to say about the cricket.

Could only last 10 minutes. A few key highlights:

- Both teams are **** and only the fact that we played less **** than Aussie is the reason we won.
    - The result proves that Vettori is not needed in the side.
    - The players will let the result get to their ego's and will make them think they're unstoppable.
    The first two are arguable, but the last point is his usual brand of misery he spouts when we aren't winning. See below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    A highlight from last week when I listened;

"I would drop McCullum, drop Ryder, sit down with Taylor and ask him some serious questions and then I would look at Vettori. The team culture needs to change (player power etc) and I think he plays a big part in that."

The same Vettori who had just scored 96 to save us from embarrassment for a few more days ftr.
    A couple of Cricketwebbers on Mark Watson;

Quote Originally Posted by straw man (not the argument)
    Mark Watson is an ignorant, arrogant, dense, dribbling troglodyte whose complete lack of insight into cricket is only rivalled by his lack of insight into the fatuousness of his own commentary.

... and those are only his best qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ
    He deserves the late shift with the glue sniffers and AA members ringing up slurring.
    So yeah, this will be entertaining.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 10-06-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    stevenz lol
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Hope Jesse knocks him out tbh.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Haha wtf. Reminds me of when Uwe Boll (****house film maker extraordinaire) challenged several of his critics to boxing matches. He beat the **** out of all of them, but he's still a tool and his films are still ****.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

106kg. Bloody hell.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Feck me, that's over 16 and a half stone. How tall is Ryder?

Angry young man in any event; I saw on cricinfo t'other day he'd "offered out" (as I believe you kids don't say) Craig McMillian for "dissing" him.

WAC tbh.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Ryder is about 6' or a fraction more. Big lad all over.

Honestly I'm pretty surprised he only weighs 106kg. I'm shorter than him and 100kg and maybe it's just my reverse-anorexia playing tricks on me, but I swear he's noticeably bigger than me.

I thought it said 160 at first and was like woah he's really let himself go
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    stevenz lol
    Haha, I like my work there. And I was right. No idea how he gets the Saturday morning shift.

And..

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS. I will pay whatever Dean Lonegan wants me to for this fight.

And I know a fair few cricketers who will be lined up on the couch as well, and urging Jesse to kill him.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Ryder's career is just one big joke. No way he should be involved in boxing fights if he wants to be playing professional cricket again - no matter how amateur or small time the fight is. imo.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    From the sounds of it I hope Jesse smashes him.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Ryder's career is just one big joke. No way he should be involved in boxing fights if he wants to be playing professional cricket again - no matter how amateur or small time the fight is. imo.
    Disagree. It's a great way to get him fit - he's working towards something tangible. Trying to get fit via other methods hasn't worked in the past.

He won't get hurt. He'll get a lot fitter than he's ever been, he's got real motivation to do it and he's not sacrificing any cricket. He's not going to the Windies, nor probably India, so it's his off-season. His perogative now is to get fit and be ready to perform when summer comes around.

I honestly can't see a down side.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Disagree. It's a great way to get him fit - he's working towards something tangible. Trying to get fit via other methods hasn't worked in the past.

He won't get hurt. He'll get a lot fitter than he's ever been, he's got real motivation to do it and he's not sacrificing any cricket. He's not going to the Windies, nor probably India, so it's his off-season. His perogative now is to get fit and be ready to perform when summer comes around.

Well he could do an injury to his hand, but I doubt it's a great risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post

Don't know why you would assume he would get fit this way. He might but I have seen some really unfit guys in these charity matches. That is why they makes them 2 minute rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information