• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Media influence in cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I honestly don't think which county a player plays for affects much at all in this day and age.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Flower really doesn't come across as the kind of weak-willed, lilly-livered type to be influenced by squawk from the media.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flower really doesn't come across as the kind of weak-willed, lilly-livered type to be influenced by squawk from the media.
He'll be affected on some level, otherwise why would people bother with advertising and buying reviews? There's a whole massive industry dedicated to this subconscious level of influence.

Would like to know why on earth he persisted with Dernbach and Bopara... I don't think anyone can deny the latter's county helped a little bit.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I don't think anyone can deny the latter's county helped a little bit.
Yeah, it's really helped Jamie Foster's international career. Essex are not a fashionable county - they probably were back in the mid 80s-mid 90s period when Gooch was in his prime and people like Derek Pringle and Mark Ilott were getting picked, but with Bopara I think its more to do with desperately trying to get a return on the investment that England have put in him over the years.

Flem274*

123/5
You know what? I like Meaker, and I think he's going to be a good Test cricketer. I certainly never said it about Amjad Khan, Saj Mahmood or Darren Pattinson, but comparing Meaker to them is a bit off.

Sure, he sent down some wayward stuff in ODIs, but his domestic one day record pales in comparison to his four day record so that was to be expected, and he's got all the tools to be successful at Test level. He might not be ready quite yet and I'm not saying he should be picked ahead of Onions, but when you've got a 23 year old bowler who bowls genuinely quick outswingers and is coming off the back of two very, very good domestic seasons (44w @ 22 and 44w @ 23), then what's not to like? That's what every country wants from its young bowlers, surely.
Well he's doomed now you support him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I freaking hate it when the camera zooms in on any semi-decent looking girl in the crowd. Especially when it comes up on the big screen.

it's basically saying:

"Here crowd and rest of the world, have a perv!"

I'll have a perv in my own time thankyou very much, I don't need to watch the cricket to see hot girls.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
when you've got a 23 year old bowler who bowls genuinely quick outswingers and is coming off the back of two very, very good domestic seasons (44w @ 22 and 44w @ 23), then what's not to like? That's what every country wants from its young bowlers, surely.
That seems like an awfully low number of wickets when you consider that the FC season in England is 16 games.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That seems like an awfully low number of wickets when you consider that the FC season in England is 16 games.
Depends how many he has missed with lions games etc... as they can take up 2 county games for one lions match and they have a couple a season. Add in injuries and I bet he hasn't played many more than 25 times for Slurrey over the 2 seasons..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depends how many he has missed with lions games etc... as they can take up 2 county games for one lions match and they have a couple a season. Add in injuries and I bet he hasn't played many more than 25 times for Slurrey over the 2 seasons..
Ten games both seasons. So over his last 20 games for Surrey he's taken 88 wickets @ 22. Plenty good.

You blokes who don't rate him much have seen more of him than me so I won't force it down your throats (I can just imagine someone trying to tell me Ben Cutting was a good bowler using the same method) but it's not like he's been under-performing domestically. The little I have seen reminded me a bit of Yadav, and that was with the white ball where he's clearly nowhere near as good.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ten games both seasons. So over his last 20 games for Surrey he's taken 88 wickets @ 22. Plenty good.

You blokes who don't rate him much have seen more of him than me so I won't force it down your throats (I can just imagine someone trying to tell me Ben Cutting was a good bowler using the same method) but it's not like he's been under-performing domestically. The little I have seen reminded me a bit of Yadav, and that was with the white ball where he's clearly nowhere near as good.
This. If Finn isn't fit for the 3rd test, I'd play Meaker instead of Broad.

Kallis was gun before I supported him though tbf.
Yeah, but it clearly hasn't hurt him, as he's been as gun as ever in the last two years.

grecian

I don't rate Meaker, but I wouldn't mind him playing the next match. Mainly for the Scaly lolz, but also Monty and Swann will be bowling most of the overs, and his novelty factor may just sneak a couple of top order wickets, and tail-enders don't like genuine pace.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Yeah, fair enough. Haven't followed County Cricket at all this year so 40-odd wickets in a season just didn't seem that impressive which was why I flagged it up.