• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Media influence in cricket

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And explain to me how that article and similar articles are having an influence on cricket? Its certainly not reducing the amount of T20 matches played.

Either rename this thread "opinions in the media that I disagree with" or actually make points that stick with the contention of your first point.

Well said, as much as I disagree with, I think it is a perfectly valid opinion. I dont know how to react when same people at one hand claim that Cricinfo articles are influenced by BCCI and they dont want to write anything that upsets BCCI and when the same media publishes an article which is critical of IPL and its influence on Test cricket it is termed ad T20 bashing.

Why would Cricinfo , if it doesn't want to upset BCCI, publish an article bashing IPL ?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well said, as much as I disagree with, I think it is a perfectly valid opinion. I dont know how to react when same people at one hand claim that Cricinfo articles are influenced by BCCI and they dont want to write anything that upsets BCCI and when the same media publishes an article which is critical of IPL and its influence on Test cricket it is termed ad T20 bashing.

Why would Cricinfo , if it doesn't want to upset BCCI, publish an article bashing IPL ?
Read the article. There's more content designated to building up the IPL (at the start) than there is bashing it. Most of the piece is about bashing T20 in general. With the same absurd tripe used elsewhere on Cricinfo.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What makes you think that I didn't read the article, I hope you are not reading the same article because the article I read is clearly a critique of IPL. because that link is clearly an anti-IPL article. Here is why :-

In addition to the IPL myths section the author goes at length to make following comments :-

"Domestic coaches say bowlers increasingly go AWOL during the first-class season, and turn up fit for the IPL."

".. the biggest trick the IPL has played is that every year an Indian side wins the most-watched, richest tournament in cricket."

"India's last year in Test cricket - their worst away streak since the '60s - was merely a continuation (you can only hope it was also the culmination) of their scant regard for international cricket since the advent of IPL"

"...the board and the players - chose to not give their best to Test cricket. The choice was simple for Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar: play IPL or the Tests in the West Indies. "

"...in 2010, India landed in the West Indies without any warm-up games, without any time to come together as a team. Later that year they rested almost the whole side for a triangular series in Zimbabwe, and finished third. Nobody chose to not play in the IPL, though."

".. Indian cricketers practically use first-class cricket to fine-tune their IPL skills. "

"Australia and South Africa are playing two-Test series. South Africa have followed New Zealand in giving up the Boxing Day Test. West Indies, partly because of the IPL, and New Zealand entirely because of the clash with it, are not fielding their best teams in Test cricket. India are not interested in giving their best in Tests."

If that is not a criticism of IPL then what is ? Ofcourse any critic of IPL is a criticism of T20 because IPL is played in T20 format.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Onions should be selected. He's never let England down and has already played a few Tests, he's not yet another overhyped ****house Slurry bowler. He should have been selected in the Summer. He took 64 wickets at under 15, he bowls long spells, he can manage heavy workloads and in reality he bowls virtually as quickly as Meaker does. The only thing he's got going against him is he plays for Durham and the hyped nonentity plays for Slurry and has a South African background.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Onions should be selected. He's never let England down and has already played a few Tests, he's not yet another overhyped ****house Slurry bowler. He should have been selected in the Summer. He took 64 wickets at under 15, he bowls long spells, he can manage heavy workloads and in reality he bowls virtually as quickly as Meaker does. The only thing he's got going against him is he plays for Durham and the hyped nonentity plays for Slurry and has a South African background.
Doesn't answer his question. Would you be up in arms if they tried to use their influence to get Onions in the team?

Scaly piscine

Yes I would be up in arms but it's irrelevant because it doesn't happen. The media regularly **** over players from up here. First Harmison, Collingwood and now Onions. It's total bull**** the way Cricinfo are basically already picking Meaker ahead of Onions purely on some hearsay, if indeed they haven't just taken one look at a scorecard and invented 'struggling for rhythm'. They're not presenting facts, they're not giving the full picture. They're just conjuring up some hearsay in favour of Meaker, pushing his name forward and ignoring everything else that's happened before.

There is no unbiased reporting of the facts, if there were it would clearly go in favour of Onions.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So this thread has gone from the media influencing cricket to Cricinfo being biased against Durham. Right.

I'm sure Andy Flower selects all his sides by reading what cricinfo says.

grecian

People always like stuff that's shiny and new. Meaker can make it into that great pantheon of bowlers including Amjad Khan, Saj Mahmood, Liam Plunkett (who oddly Scaly liked despite being as bad as any of them) and Darren Pattinson, I look forward to it:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I for one am sure that the Cricinfo writers out in India have far less clue about how the people bowled in the warm up games than Scaly.

Scaly piscine

I for one am sure that the Cricinfo writers out in India have far less clue about how the people bowled in the warm up games than Scaly.
Good old marc chiming in with his strawman.

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the accuracy of Cricinfo's in-match commentary and reports on County Cricket. Then think about how likely it is that Cricinfo's journalists - with their recent history of Bopara worship - have watched warm-up games and training properly and written and followed that up with an unbiased report.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can only comment on the accuracy of such things by watching the game though can't you?

I personally would have Onions ahead of Meaker, but if one was bowling dross and one looking good then you have to rely on the people who were there to make the call.

Pothas

People always like stuff that's shiny and new. Meaker can make it into that great pantheon of bowlers including Amjad Khan, Saj Mahmood, Liam Plunkett (who oddly Scaly liked despite being as bad as any of them) and Darren Pattinson, I look forward to it:D
I don't think Meaker is actually THAT bad but we shall see.

Scaly has obviously gone well beyond self-parody a long time ago but in the specific case of Onions then I think he probably has been a little unlucky with selection.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm more concerned with the talk of Morgan over Bairstow than Meaker over Onions. Meaker would be a horses for courses selection because he has more pace and Finn is injured and I am certain that Onions will be selected ahead of him for the NZ tour. I don't mind that at all. It is picking Morgan who has done diddly squat to deserve a recall over Bairstow who has got runs on tour and in his last test that worries me. Can't for the life of me see why Morgan should get another chance when we have a quality player waiting in the wings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You know what? I like Meaker, and I think he's going to be a good Test cricketer. I certainly never said it about Amjad Khan, Saj Mahmood or Darren Pattinson, but comparing Meaker to them is a bit off.

Sure, he sent down some wayward stuff in ODIs, but his domestic one day record pales in comparison to his four day record so that was to be expected, and he's got all the tools to be successful at Test level. He might not be ready quite yet and I'm not saying he should be picked ahead of Onions, but when you've got a 23 year old bowler who bowls genuinely quick outswingers and is coming off the back of two very, very good domestic seasons (44w @ 22 and 44w @ 23), then what's not to like? That's what every country wants from its young bowlers, surely.

grecian

You know what? I like Meaker, and I think he's going to be a good Test cricketer. I certainly never said it about Amjad Khan, Saj Mahmood or Darren Pattinson, but comparing Meaker to them is a bit off.

Sure, he sent down some wayward stuff in ODIs, but his domestic one day record pales in comparison to his four day record so that was to be expected, and he's got all the tools to be successful at Test level. He might not be ready quite yet and I'm not saying he should be picked ahead of Onions, but when you've got a 23 year old bowler who bowls genuinely quick outswingers and is coming off the back of two very, very good domestic seasons (44w @ 22 and 44w @ 23), then what's not to like? That's what every country wants from its young bowlers, surely.
You did say it about Plunkers though. I said I wanted him picked over Onions because of the amusement over Scaly's reaction, he's not let me down so far.

4-0 anyway whomever plays.

Meh, he's just not very accurate at all, and seems to do very little with the ball, I've not really see him swing it, not a good combination. Soo not ready. He's still youngish though, and I'm glad they called him up other than his saffie Surrey friend.

Hope he proves me wrong, and takes a hatful.

Last edited: