• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Media influence in cricket

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd actually say cricket has some of the best sports writers around: Selvey, Marks, James, Nobbs, Ronay, Fraser, Hayter, Haigh, Frith, etc. One only has to compare Cricket Writers on TV to its football equivalent for the proof. The latter deals almost exclusively in bluster and bull**** (with Paddy Barclay & Henry Winter noble exceptions) whereas the former seems like a symposium by comparison.
True. But did you ever read any of Hugh Mcilvanney's writing on football? It really was a class apart. And I'm aware I'm using the past tense when I genuinely have no idea whether he's still writing or even alive.

And is this the right place to add how must I detest James Lawton's pieces in The Indy?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
True. But did you ever read any of Hugh Mcilvanney's writing on football? It really was a class apart. And I'm aware I'm using the past tense when I genuinely have no idea whether he's still writing or even alive.

And is this the right place to add how must I detest James Lawton's pieces in The Indy?
Still writes a weekly column for The Sunday Times; sadly Murdoch being what he is one would have to pay to see it.

But yeah, great writer. Made a three part documentary called something like The Football Men, with an episode on Matt Busby, Bill Shankly & Jock Stein. One of the very best I've seen.

I'm not quite so anti Lawton as you, but I do feel slightly queasy sometimes when he ramps up the sanctimony, as is his increasing wont.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Still writes a weekly column for The Sunday Times; sadly Murdoch being what he is one would have to pay to see it.

But yeah, great writer. Made a three part documentary called something like The Football Men, with an episode on Matt Busby, Bill Shankly & Jock Stein. One of the very best I've seen.

I'm not quite so anti Lawton as you, but I do feel slightly queasy sometimes when he ramps up the sanctimony, as is his increasing wont.
Yes, I saw the series about Busby, Shankly & Stein. Absolutely magnificent it was too.

btw nothing whatsoever to do with this thread, but have you caught 'Punk Britannia' on BBC 4? Well worth catching.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yes, I saw the series about Busby, Shankly & Stein. Absolutely magnificent it was too.

btw nothing whatsoever to do with this thread, but have you caught 'Punk Britannia' on BBC 4? Well worth catching.
Haven't no; might have a gander on i-player tomorrow if the weather curtails the cricket as expected.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't no; might have a gander on i-player tomorrow if the weather curtails the cricket as expected.
I would. It's a 3-part series. Last week was pre-punk, this week is the brief golden age from 1976 to 1978 and next week is the post-punk period in the late 1970s & early 1980s. Lots of the key players are interviewed and there's some great footage.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Interesting, I was watching a segment on the England's young squad preparations, and I heard Vaughan say 'The Media is your chance to show the world who you want to be shown as' or something along the lines, is that a bias or ...?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmmm ... one or two contributors here with agendas of their own afaics. An alternative view to writing off Bopara's one-day 100 because it was in an 'easy win' is that the win was only easy because Bopara and his partner batted as well as they did. And that writing off his current innings because it's against Northants rather ignores the state of the Essex innings when he came in at 15 for 2, soon to become 50odd for 4.
I wasn't criticising the innings, I was criticising their headline worthiness. In the context of what was going on (lots of other matches) they weren't particularly newsworthy innings.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Scaly's got a point. Before the Sri Lanka series last summer after Collingwood's retirement opened up a spot, cricinfo had Bopara nailed on as his replacement and called Morgan's selection a shock, despite Morgan quite obviously being the next in line.
And Cricinfo was the only one to say so ?

England pick Eoin Morgan ahead of Ravi Bopara for first Sri Lanka Test | Sport | guardian.co.uk

The Guardian wrote the same :-

"Eoin Morgan was unexpectedly preferred to Ravi Bopara as England's likely No6 batsman in a 12-man squad for the first Test against Sri Lanka."

Eoin Morgan flays Sri Lanka but Ravi Bopara remains ahead in Test race | Sport | The Guardian

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Generally like to get the bedroom stuff over asap so I can go back to reading my Hi Living magazine:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And explain to me how that article and similar articles are having an influence on cricket? Its certainly not reducing the amount of T20 matches played.

Either rename this thread "opinions in the media that I disagree with" or actually make points that stick with the contention of your first point.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It fits the Cricinfo theme of bashing T20 with misguided bollocks.

It seems to be in fashion at the moment and Cricinfo is perpetuating it. Of course it will hardly make a dent in terms of impact on T20 cricket, but that's because it's a popular format.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And Cricinfo was the only one to say so ?

England pick Eoin Morgan ahead of Ravi Bopara for first Sri Lanka Test | Sport | guardian.co.uk

The Guardian wrote the same :-

"Eoin Morgan was unexpectedly preferred to Ravi Bopara as England's likely No6 batsman in a 12-man squad for the first Test against Sri Lanka."

Eoin Morgan flays Sri Lanka but Ravi Bopara remains ahead in Test race | Sport | The Guardian
Lol, that's terrible journalism.

Morgan played all 6 home Tests in 2010, went to Australia as the back up batsman and scored 190-odd in a warm up game. Anyone who expected Bopara to be picked ahead of Morgan last year is an idiot frankly.