• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Media influence in cricket

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Funny thing is, a lot of people here bemoan the media and their radical/rubbish views - yet a lot of the stuff on here is just as outrageous, if not worse (because they know it's not going to be printed on a website/paper).

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
But we here don't have any pretenses to be influencing the decisions of our own teams selectors and lets be equally honest, there's a few on here who arguably know more about and have mos certainly seen more cricket than a good many of the writers on cricinfo.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But no one has the platform to influence selectors on here, so it's a moot point. I can say as part of any NZ-based thread there's definitely a barrow-pushing of players from certain districts, which if in print would be classed as influencing selectors.

It's partly bias, partly that these writers/whoever have a much more intimate knowledge of certain players and can push their case better, whilst not realising the extent of talent of others.

Certainly there are some knowledgeable posters and some would better equipped than people in media outlets, that I completely agree. The trouble is, anyone with a writing degree can work in the industry. You don't have to prove you know your BCCIs from your LBWs and your RPOs, not in some jobs anyway. And sure, there's some posters on here who are completely clueless, but that's their right to give their views. Not so enamoured with it when those sorts are in print, as you say. There's one particular Cricinfo writer from the No.2 ranked nation in the world that is absolutely diabolical.

Jacknife

International Captain
But no one has the platform to influence selectors on here, so it's a moot point. I can say as part of any NZ-based thread there's definitely a barrow-pushing of players from certain districts, which if in print would be classed as influencing selectors.

It's partly bias, partly that these writers/whoever have a much more intimate knowledge of certain players and can push their case better, whilst not realising the extent of talent of others.

Certainly there are some knowledgeable posters and some would better equipped than people in media outlets, that I completely agree. The trouble is, anyone with a writing degree can work in the industry. You don't have to prove you know your BCCIs from your LBWs and your RPOs, not in some jobs anyway. And sure, there's some posters on here who are completely clueless, but that's their right to give their views. Not so enamoured with it when those sorts are in print, as you say. There's one particular Cricinfo writer from the No.2 ranked nation in the world that is absolutely diabolical.
I think I've read a few articles by a female writer from SA, is that the one?

Flem274*

123/5
Sinclair is God and you know it.:cool:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I've read a few articles by a female writer from SA, is that the one?
Bingo. And if it's directed at me that I'm being ***ist, I had no idea what the *** of that particular writer was when I formed the opinion.

And Flem, I said certain districts not central districts :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't agree or disagree about Cricinfo's obsession with Bopara, but isn't the fact that he wasn't selected ahead of Morgan in that test match that you blokes keep talking about a suggestion that Cricinfo actually doesn't have much influence at all?

And since this thread is about media influence on team selection and cricket policies, and not just bad reporting, I think that example goes against the whole contention of this thread.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
You've got to realise when reading this stuff that most of it is reporting based on 'sources' rather than opinion. Cricinfo's biggest crime is that it's sources are nowhere near as well in the loop as the press journo's, so they more often than not have incorrect mail. The newspapers etc have proven sources over a number of years who are always pretty close to the mark.

So realistically, cricinfo's news stories are based on weak/out of the loop sources with bad mail rather than their writers opinions. They don't have any journalistic credibility as such compared to many.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You've got to realise when reading this stuff that most of it is reporting based on 'sources' rather than opinion. Cricinfo's biggest crime is that it's sources are nowhere near as well in the loop as the press journo's, so they more often than not have incorrect mail. The newspapers etc have proven sources over a number of years who are always pretty close to the mark.

So realistically, cricinfo's news stories are based on weak/out of the loop sources with bad mail rather than their writers opinions. They don't have any journalistic credibility as such compared to many.
Yeah, the feigned shock/surprise when their predicted selection doesn't occur is what gets to me. If you're consistently wrong, stop pretending its a shock. :dry:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Are we better off with Cricinfo or without it ? Stop looking for perfection on a website that provides free content. You have the freedom to not click on the link or not visit the site.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This thread started with the Subject of "Media Influence in Cricket" and ended up bashing "Cricinfo" and how its writers are biased because of their connection with IPL and BCCI, Which is the most common and consistent theme of Scaly's posting.

Jacknife

International Captain
It's not just cricinfo, the journalists at Fleet Street have always thought they held some sort of sway over selection. This is not just confined to cricket mind, when it comes to Football it's on a whole different scale.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must confess I never read cricinfo articles. I only use the site for live scores when I'm not near a tv or on the odd occasion I want refer to and bastardise some statistics to support a specious argument which I have.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
To be honest I read a lot less of Cricinfo than I used to. I do find a lot of their opinion pieces to be dull/repetitive. So many writers seem to been grinding the same axe over and over again.

Having said that, if it wasn't for Cricinfo I certainly wouldn't have nearly as much of an appreciation for cricket as I do now. Growing up in a rugby oriented country there really isn't a lot of cricket coverage in our media so Cricinfo was pretty much it. Reading the views of their writers and seeing how statistics can be (ab)used has been fairly important in me forming my own opinions on the game. I still use the site every day for live scoring and match reports too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You should stop posting here and start posting there. It'll lift the standard of both :cool:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmmm ... one or two contributors here with agendas of their own afaics. An alternative view to writing off Bopara's one-day 100 because it was in an 'easy win' is that the win was only easy because Bopara and his partner batted as well as they did. And that writing off his current innings because it's against Northants rather ignores the state of the Essex innings when he came in at 15 for 2, soon to become 50odd for 4.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd actually say cricket has some of the best sports writers around: Selvey, Marks, James, Nobbs, Ronay, Fraser, Hayter, Haigh, Frith, etc. One only has to compare Cricket Writers on TV to its football equivalent for the proof. The latter deals almost exclusively in bluster and bull**** (with Paddy Barclay & Henry Winter noble exceptions) whereas the former seems like a symposium by comparison.