• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatever happened to Copeland?

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is it just that he was blown away by pace?

When he toured SL recently I thought he had a good future ahead of him. Yes he lacks pace, but for a medium pacer to perform like he did on SC tracks, you got to have some serious talent. But he seems now to be completely out of the radar.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think the unconventional aspects of his success made it harder to trust him. And then when you had other guys firing people didn't see the need to find out. Hope he gets another shot in the future.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had a poor shield season. Would have thought he'd do some county stuff but he's not so he's probably off the radar for awhile.

Jager

International Debutant
Was wondering the same thing just recently. He didn't perform badly at all, but I can't help but feel that the selectors were concerned by his lack of pace (which is completely ridiculous).

Spikey

Of course, his dropping in SA was stupid, as shown by MJ and Siddle having no ****ing idea what to do on the same pitch we were 9/21 on

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Should have retained his spot in South Africa, but then had a horrid time of it in the Shield.

Didn't help that his MO is to bowl long spells and work away at batsmen. With the NSW selectors intent on picking 8 bowlers last year, it meant he wouldn't get spells nearly as long as he needs to work batsmen out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah his dropping was harsh but he's since gone back to Shield cricket and not been able to buy a wicket while his replacements have all performed. A fair way down the pecking order now and rightly so, regardless of how harsh his dropping was.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
His dropping after Sri Lanka did appear harsh, however I'd like to think the selectors seen something in his Sheffield Shield performance prior to South Africa, and his limited impact in the practice match.

Scott Coyte managed 3 less wickets than Copeland despite bowling under 1,000 less deliveries. Copeland was just that poor last season.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
He's rubbish. If Watson is fit to bowl he becomes totally redundant - on merit as a strike bowler by comparison to the others available no better than a guy to hold an end up whilst the mainline seamers take a breather. Australia have Hussey and Clarke who can do that whilst being probably more likely to take a wicket even if Watson cannot bowl. And if Watson is fit to bowl I can't see 'em ever needing to toss the ball to Copeland, who hardly moves the ball and never looks like taking a wicket.

Andre

International Regular
I've heard a couple of rumours about his dropping. It was absolutely justified on form etc that he was left out, and probably won't play Test cricket again. However the whisper I hear is that he hardly endeared himself to some of the senior guys - he's a pretty headstrong sort of a fella and that can sometimes harm you in a squad situation.

Spikey

Turns out articles about his sister gets linked on his cricinfo page. seems fitting

Flem274*

123/5
He's rubbish. If Watson is fit to bowl he becomes totally redundant - on merit as a strike bowler by comparison to the others available no better than a guy to hold an end up whilst the mainline seamers take a breather. Australia have Hussey and Clarke who can do that whilst being probably more likely to take a wicket even if Watson cannot bowl. And if Watson is fit to bowl I can't see 'em ever needing to toss the ball to Copeland, who hardly moves the ball and never looks like taking a wicket.
Which explains why he had lots at an average under 20 at one stage.

You've basically said he looks crap, therefore he is, and ignored any evidence to the contrary. Dire argument.

I don't think he's the greatest thing ever, or even necessarily test standard. I can only go by what I've read on here since I've never had the opportunity to watch him, but to write someone off because they don't look much is terrible logic.

Arguably the greatest seamer of all time, Glenn McGrath, was far from the prettiest in the traditional sense.

And ftr from what I've read and heard he does move the ball and bowls with superb accuracy. The only trait that is questioned is his pace. The Watson comparison sucks as well, because when bowled in the right manner the guy is a weapon. Conventional and reverse swing, depending on the overhead conditions and the age of the ball. He can ramp up the pace when he wants as well, though ironically when he did that regularly he would have been labelled the most innocuous bowler to ever crack 140kph if Sami didn't already have a life membership for that.

I've never seen Copeland so I don't really know if he had the assets to crack the top level, but he had an excellent record in one of the best FC competitions in the world and once you pick someone, you don't just drop them for the hell of it. His dumping was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thanks for the input on his recent shield performances. Yeah it was way harsh on him to be dropped straight away after the SL tour without any apparent reason, and now it seems there's no way back for him.

Maybe he'll hope all Australian pacemen go under a wicketless couple of years in international cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've heard a couple of rumours about his dropping. It was absolutely justified on form etc that he was left out, and probably won't play Test cricket again. However the whisper I hear is that he hardly endeared himself to some of the senior guys - he's a pretty headstrong sort of a fella and that can sometimes harm you in a squad situation.
I heard his mother had a go at Clarke about how he was handled in South Africa. Now I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Arthur said there were some bowlers who he felt were benefitting out of some very friendly Sheffied Shield wickets over the past few years. I think there's little doubt that Copeland was one of the guys he was referring to.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you based this purely on SL then I think you're gravely mistaken.

Guy could swing a brick.