Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Copeland?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB304 View Post
    He's rubbish. If Watson is fit to bowl he becomes totally redundant - on merit as a strike bowler by comparison to the others available no better than a guy to hold an end up whilst the mainline seamers take a breather. Australia have Hussey and Clarke who can do that whilst being probably more likely to take a wicket even if Watson cannot bowl. And if Watson is fit to bowl I can't see 'em ever needing to toss the ball to Copeland, who hardly moves the ball and never looks like taking a wicket.
    Which explains why he had lots at an average under 20 at one stage.

You've basically said he looks crap, therefore he is, and ignored any evidence to the contrary. Dire argument.

I don't think he's the greatest thing ever, or even necessarily test standard. I can only go by what I've read on here since I've never had the opportunity to watch him, but to write someone off because they don't look much is terrible logic.

Arguably the greatest seamer of all time, Glenn McGrath, was far from the prettiest in the traditional sense.

And ftr from what I've read and heard he does move the ball and bowls with superb accuracy. The only trait that is questioned is his pace. The Watson comparison sucks as well, because when bowled in the right manner the guy is a weapon. Conventional and reverse swing, depending on the overhead conditions and the age of the ball. He can ramp up the pace when he wants as well, though ironically when he did that regularly he would have been labelled the most innocuous bowler to ever crack 140kph if Sami didn't already have a life membership for that.

I've never seen Copeland so I don't really know if he had the assets to crack the top level, but he had an excellent record in one of the best FC competitions in the world and once you pick someone, you don't just drop them for the hell of it. His dumping was ridiculous.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 07-06-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Captain Nomanculture's Avatar
    Thanks for the input on his recent shield performances. Yeah it was way harsh on him to be dropped straight away after the SL tour without any apparent reason, and now it seems there's no way back for him.

Maybe he'll hope all Australian pacemen go under a wicketless couple of years in international cricket.
    I'll show how it's done....

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I've heard a couple of rumours about his dropping. It was absolutely justified on form etc that he was left out, and probably won't play Test cricket again. However the whisper I hear is that he hardly endeared himself to some of the senior guys - he's a pretty headstrong sort of a fella and that can sometimes harm you in a squad situation.
    I heard his mother had a go at Clarke about how he was handled in South Africa. Now I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is...
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Arthur said there were some bowlers who he felt were benefitting out of some very friendly Sheffied Shield wickets over the past few years. I think there's little doubt that Copeland was one of the guys he was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by CWB304 View Post
    He's rubbish. If Watson is fit to bowl he becomes totally redundant - on merit as a strike bowler by comparison to the others available no better than a guy to hold an end up whilst the mainline seamers take a breather. Australia have Hussey and Clarke who can do that whilst being probably more likely to take a wicket even if Watson cannot bowl. And if Watson is fit to bowl I can't see 'em ever needing to toss the ball to Copeland, who hardly moves the ball and never looks like taking a wicket.
    If you based this purely on SL then I think you're gravely mistaken.

Guy could swing a brick.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

You'd hope most people could at 120km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I heard his mother had a go at Clarke about how he was handled in South Africa. Now I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is...

What is it with mothers of Australian cricketers atm? First Mother Mitch and now Copeland's...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Arthur said there were some bowlers who he felt were benefitting out of some very friendly Sheffied Shield wickets over the past few years. I think there's little doubt that Copeland was one of the guys he was referring to.
    Wasn't it Sutherland? I don't remember the Arthur one. I mean, he's right. I just don't remember him saying it.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

What is it with mothers of Australian cricketers atm? First Mother Mitch and now Copeland's...
    How on earth can you forget about: Mum's bitter hit at Test selectors | Herald Sun

She's disappointed in you.

You've basically said he looks crap, therefore he is, and ignored any evidence to the contrary. Dire argument.

I don't think he's the greatest thing ever, or even necessarily test standard. I can only go by what I've read on here since I've never had the opportunity to watch him, but to write someone off because they don't look much is terrible logic.

Arguably the greatest seamer of all time, Glenn McGrath, was far from the prettiest in the traditional sense.
    I don't think he looked 'crap' by any means in SL, but if you hadn't seen him bowl before then I could understand why you'd think he wasn't very good. After the new ball got older, he did struggle to get much movement... on pretty flat wickets mind. But he still bowled with extreme accuracy and created a fair bit of pressure, which I'm sure would of helped Harris to some degree. There's no doubt that someone like McGrath looks (and is) far better than Copeland though. What CWB said though was essentially crap imo...you can't judge him after one series on flat wickets and in conditions completely foreign to him. It was balls he was dropped after the SL series, cause the SA conditions in that series would have been ideal for him. But nonetheless he probably isn't the bowler some of us hoped he'd be, might struggle too much when the conditions don't suit. He isn't a bad bowler by any means though, and would make a fine back up bowler in the right circumstances. Think the main thing though is we just don't really need someone like Copeland at moment.
    Last edited by Ruckus; 07-06-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    How on earth can you forget about: Mum's bitter hit at Test selectors | Herald Sun

She's disappointed in you.

The children of these mothers must die inside when they see these articles. Surely the parents must have some inkling of what bitching in the media about their kid looks like?

Now I remember it, didn't Hauritz' old man slam the selectors as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Wasn't it Sutherland? I don't remember the Arthur one. I mean, he's right. I just don't remember him saying it.
    Nah it was definitely Arthur. He said it while he was coaching WA. No surprise the Copeland suddenly dropped about ten places in the pecking order as soon as he got the Australian job.

Gotta say though, I never really disagreed with him. I really like Copeland and always hope he does well because I think there's a cancerous pace bias in Australian cricket but there's no doubt that the pitches in Shield cricket in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons comparatively favoured his bowling style overs others.

The children of these mothers must die inside when they see these articles. Surely the parents must have some inkling of what bitching in the media about their kid looks like?

Now I remember it, didn't Hauritz' old man slam the selectors as well?
    I think he did, but his son had just been over-looked for Xaiver Doherty, so it was fair enough really.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yeah agreed. He's a very good bowler but realistically his average will rise over time, he just doesn't have that extra gear required to get really good players in all conditions.

That said, it's one thing getting favourable wickets, it's another to perform on them so he is no mug.

All aside, he's a guy who has an opinion on a lot of things and rightly or wrongly I've heard that hasn't helped his cause. Can occasionally happen with country boys.

I'm pretty sure back in the U14's, they were kids who got over-looked for Doherty, and man their fathers did not take it well

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information