• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand only gets two Tests in South Africa next year

Marius

International Debutant
South Africa have not scheduled the traditional Boxing Day Test for the 2012-13 season, and will instead play a Twenty20 against New Zealand on December 26 this year. A Cricket South Africa release on Tuesday said that New Zealand's tour of South Africa will begin with three Twenty20s, followed by two Tests - the first being the traditional New Year's Test in Cape Town - and three ODIs.

After New Zealand, Pakistan will tour South Africa between January 25 and March 24, for three Tests, two Twenty20s and five ODIs.
South Africa news: South Africa replace Boxing Day Test with T20 | South Africa Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket South Africa | News Article

Cricket South Africa has released its schedule for next season, NZ is only getting two Tests, and the traditional Boxing Day Test has been scrapped. Durban doesn't even host a Test match this upcoming season, probably the first time that has happened since isolation ended.

What a load of nonsense, it is actually obscene.

Flem274*

123/5
And right on schedule...

20/20 internationals are boring and lame. Tests are cool, even though we lose lots. Play tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wasn't one of the alleged reasons we only got a two-test series between SA & Oz last year that the South Africans wouldn't conceive of not having their own Boxing Day test...?

Mind you we've only given NZ two tests next year too, so glass houses and all that.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmm, hardly thread worthy is it, New Zealand just doesn't get away three test series anymore. I wasn't expecting this to be anything different either. We tour England during the middle of 2013 for two tests, which will make it about 30 months since we last had an away three test match series. Staggering huh, wouldn't put it past us making it to three years either tbh.

Marius

International Debutant
Hmmm, hardly thread worthy is it, New Zealand just doesn't get away three test series anymore. I wasn't expecting this to be anything different either. We tour England during the middle of 2013 for two tests, which will make it about 30 months since we last had an away three test match series. Staggering huh, wouldn't put it past us making it to three years either tbh.
I think what makes it threadworthy is the demise of the Boxing Day Test.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think what makes it threadworthy is the demise of the Boxing Day Test.
Especially not that long after saying they wouldn't be touring Australia over the Christmas/New Year period anywhere in the near future because they wanted to keep their Boxing Day Test.

Marius

International Debutant
Especially not that long after saying they wouldn't be touring Australia over the Christmas/New Year period anywhere in the near future because they wanted to keep their Boxing Day Test.
Yup, agree completely.

And a Boxing Day Test is probably one of the greatest things that a Test cricketer can ever experience, and now we have decided we don't want that.

It would be like us saying to England we don't want to play any more Tests at Lords because it detracts from the majesty of the Wanderers (although Wanderers is a pretty cool ground too).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nah the point still stands. ('we want to play at home during the most lucrative part of our cricketing calendar, so unless you (Aus) comprise are come here now and again during this time, we're not coming there".)

Now if they were pissing off to india or something during this time

Marius

International Debutant
nah the point still stands. ('we want to play at home during the most lucrative part of our cricketing calendar, so unless you (Aus) comprise are come here now and again during this time, we're not coming there".)

Now if they were pissing off to india or something during this time
You get 100 000 people at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test, you get maybe 20 000 at Kingsmead for the equivalent fixture.

Nah, I'm with the Aussies on this one.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
You guys do realise that the New Years test is by far the biggest test match in South Africa? I'm actually glad they're moving that one back to the second day of January. Durban just doesn't pull the crowd unless a subcontinent team tours and then the stadium is filled with Indians not supporting the country they were born in. Why Durban even got it to begin with I don't know. The Boxing day test should probably be given to Centurion or the Wandererers, while St. George's Park takes over 4th test duties (even though I think it's one of the worst stadiums in the world as far as view is concerned.) I'm wondering if this is just to ease the Boxing Day test from the grasp of Kingsmead.

What Spikey says is completely true - this is the most lucrative time for CSA. CA didn't offer them enough money to tour Australia during this time. Nothing to do with Boxing Days or anything.

Marius

International Debutant
You guys do realise that the New Years test is by far the biggest test match in South Africa? I'm actually glad they're moving that one back to the second day of January. Durban just doesn't pull the crowd unless a subcontinent team tours and then the stadium is filled with Indians not supporting the country they were born in. Why Durban even got it to begin with I don't know. The Boxing day test should probably be given to Centurion or the Wandererers, while St. George's Park takes over 4th test duties (even though I think it's one of the worst stadiums in the world as far as view is concerned.) I'm wondering if this is just to ease the Boxing Day test from the grasp of Kingsmead.

What Spikey says is completely true - this is the most lucrative time for CSA. CA didn't offer them enough money to tour Australia during this time. Nothing to do with Boxing Days or anything.
Problem is there is hardly anyone in Gauteng over Christmas, so the Wanderers and Centurion will struggle to sell out anyway.

And are you sure about the "Indians not supporting the country they were born in"?

But you know those treacherous brown types! Not believing in Jesus and all!

8-)

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't mind the additional T20I but really hate two test series. The Ausralia-RSA two test series was a great competition to watch and should ideally have been three tests.

At least Pakistan is getting the three tests.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Problem is there is hardly anyone in Gauteng over Christmas, so the Wanderers and Centurion will struggle to sell out anyway.

And are you sure about the "Indians not supporting the country they were born in"?

But you know those treacherous brown types! Not believing in Jesus and all!

8-)
Hardly anyone? There would still be more people than in Durban.

When last did you watch a cricket match played in Durban? Have you looked to see what flags are waving?

Nice try at sarcasm, only I don't care - being an atheist who lives with people of multiple ethnicities.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No boxing day test sucks big time.

Wasn't one of the alleged reasons we only got a two-test series between SA & Oz last year that the South Africans wouldn't conceive of not having their own Boxing Day test...?
Yes it was. And in fact South Africa are going to Australia in their early summer instead of the festive season. That means Australia's marquee series will be while everyone is at work and all the kids our at school. The reason they didn't go during the festive period was that they wanted a boxing day test of their own, and obviously that isn't happening now.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Argh, now we play one more T20I against NZL in the format they are most likely to win in and sacrifice a Test match to make it a two Test series, so if we end up losing one, we have no way of winning the series. I can see why CSA has done it from a financial POV but it's seriously frustrating to give up Test matches just to accommodate T20s. I'm a fan of T20s and there is a definite place in the game for them but never at the expense of Test matches.