Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand only gets two Tests in South Africa next year

U19 Cricketer

New Zealand only gets two Tests in South Africa next year

South Africa have not scheduled the traditional Boxing Day Test for the 2012-13 season, and will instead play a Twenty20 against New Zealand on December 26 this year. A Cricket South Africa release on Tuesday said that New Zealand's tour of South Africa will begin with three Twenty20s, followed by two Tests - the first being the traditional New Year's Test in Cape Town - and three ODIs.

After New Zealand, Pakistan will tour South Africa between January 25 and March 24, for three Tests, two Twenty20s and five ODIs.
    South Africa news: South Africa replace Boxing Day Test with T20 | South Africa Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket South Africa | News Article

Cricket South Africa has released its schedule for next season, NZ is only getting two Tests, and the traditional Boxing Day Test has been scrapped. Durban doesn't even host a Test match this upcoming season, probably the first time that has happened since isolation ended.

What a load of nonsense, it is actually obscene.

Hmm yea was just viewing the article myself. I expect the T20 haters will be here shortly...
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    And right on schedule...

20/20 internationals are boring and lame. Tests are cool, even though we lose lots. Play tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Wasn't one of the alleged reasons we only got a two-test series between SA & Oz last year that the South Africans wouldn't conceive of not having their own Boxing Day test...?

Mind you we've only given NZ two tests next year too, so glass houses and all that.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Hmmm, hardly thread worthy is it, New Zealand just doesn't get away three test series anymore. I wasn't expecting this to be anything different either. We tour England during the middle of 2013 for two tests, which will make it about 30 months since we last had an away three test match series. Staggering huh, wouldn't put it past us making it to three years either tbh.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Hmmm, hardly thread worthy is it, New Zealand just doesn't get away three test series anymore. I wasn't expecting this to be anything different either. We tour England during the middle of 2013 for two tests, which will make it about 30 months since we last had an away three test match series. Staggering huh, wouldn't put it past us making it to three years either tbh.
    I think what makes it threadworthy is the demise of the Boxing Day Test.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I think what makes it threadworthy is the demise of the Boxing Day Test.
    Especially not that long after saying they wouldn't be touring Australia over the Christmas/New Year period anywhere in the near future because they wanted to keep their Boxing Day Test.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

****ing hypocrites.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Especially not that long after saying they wouldn't be touring Australia over the Christmas/New Year period anywhere in the near future because they wanted to keep their Boxing Day Test.
    Yup, agree completely.

And a Boxing Day Test is probably one of the greatest things that a Test cricketer can ever experience, and now we have decided we don't want that.

It would be like us saying to England we don't want to play any more Tests at Lords because it detracts from the majesty of the Wanderers (although Wanderers is a pretty cool ground too).

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    nah the point still stands. ('we want to play at home during the most lucrative part of our cricketing calendar, so unless you (Aus) comprise are come here now and again during this time, we're not coming there".)

Now if they were pissing off to india or something during this time
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    nah the point still stands. ('we want to play at home during the most lucrative part of our cricketing calendar, so unless you (Aus) comprise are come here now and again during this time, we're not coming there".)

Now if they were pissing off to india or something during this time
    You get 100 000 people at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test, you get maybe 20 000 at Kingsmead for the equivalent fixture.

Nah, I'm with the Aussies on this one.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    and what gets SA cricket more money

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    and what gets SA cricket more money
    Not a Boxing Day Test if they are prepared to sacrifice it for a T20.

State Vice-Captain
    You guys do realise that the New Years test is by far the biggest test match in South Africa? I'm actually glad they're moving that one back to the second day of January. Durban just doesn't pull the crowd unless a subcontinent team tours and then the stadium is filled with Indians not supporting the country they were born in. Why Durban even got it to begin with I don't know. The Boxing day test should probably be given to Centurion or the Wandererers, while St. George's Park takes over 4th test duties (even though I think it's one of the worst stadiums in the world as far as view is concerned.) I'm wondering if this is just to ease the Boxing Day test from the grasp of Kingsmead.

What Spikey says is completely true - this is the most lucrative time for CSA. CA didn't offer them enough money to tour Australia during this time. Nothing to do with Boxing Days or anything.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    You guys do realise that the New Years test is by far the biggest test match in South Africa? I'm actually glad they're moving that one back to the second day of January. Durban just doesn't pull the crowd unless a subcontinent team tours and then the stadium is filled with Indians not supporting the country they were born in. Why Durban even got it to begin with I don't know. The Boxing day test should probably be given to Centurion or the Wandererers, while St. George's Park takes over 4th test duties (even though I think it's one of the worst stadiums in the world as far as view is concerned.) I'm wondering if this is just to ease the Boxing Day test from the grasp of Kingsmead.

What Spikey says is completely true - this is the most lucrative time for CSA. CA didn't offer them enough money to tour Australia during this time. Nothing to do with Boxing Days or anything.
    Problem is there is hardly anyone in Gauteng over Christmas, so the Wanderers and Centurion will struggle to sell out anyway.

And are you sure about the "Indians not supporting the country they were born in"?

But you know those treacherous brown types! Not believing in Jesus and all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information