• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball on Bat impact temperature?

paologray

Cricket Spectator
Hi Guys,

I'm Paul from West Wales. How are you all? I hope you are well.

Me and my pals have been talking about the Hot Spot technology, and this question came up:

What temperature do you think the ball creates on the bat face on impact?

I understand different speed bowlers mixed with different shots (a fast bowler getting smashed out the middle to cow corner probably creates more friction than a back foot defensive), but what do you guys reckon? How hot will the spot where the ball meets the bat get?

30 degrees C? 40 Degrees?? 55???

On the Hot Spot replays, the temperature of the bare skin of the batsman always looks a lot cooler than the impact of the ball on bat, which leads me to think the 'Hot spot' is around 45 degrees C?

Discuss?! I've done some searching online and I've nothing.

Cheers!

Paul

uvelocity

International Coach
nah dunno

seems high though. I think you might be confusing body temp with skin temp, which could be lower. Wouldn't think the friction would cause much more than a degree or two difference at most.

paologray

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, it's something I cant find any information on. I even contacted the chap at BGG sports who invented the Hot Spot system and they dont know. They said that the camera's are just set to the level, and they dont know what temp that is...

I'm quite surprised to find no-one has done any research into it...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Someone who is half decent at Physics could probably calculate you a rough estimate by using a few ugly assumptions, and they'd need to find the right data from TV broadcast records (things like speed of ball leaving bat vs speed of ball arriving at bat). Wouldn't be as good as a real measurement of course.

Not volunteering sorry :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The speed of the stroke and the weight of the bat would need to be known too wouldn't it..

I don't think it would be hot at all, although my brain isn't really weird for this sort of thing.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Great question, would love it if someone smarter than me knows!

Skin temperature is around 37 degrees on average.

Just as a simple exercise, if you quickly and firmly rub your palms over each other once (like if your hands were cold, but only do one quick pressured stroke). you can feel a decent amount of heat generated (hotter than your normal skin surface temp), which then cools quickly.

I'd imagine hot spot would be similar. Maybe a bit hotter than skin temp?

paologray

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, if you watch the replays on hotspot, and take in to account the colour of the bat, the player's skin, and then the impact area - there may be a correlation there, or a way to work out the temp the impact makes. Obviously as suggested before, on a few assumptions. But I think it could be more than what we think....

paologray

Cricket Spectator
...and on another note, who remembers that BURN on their hands after deflecting a seriously hard struck ball?? I do - I had one last night, but it was on the side of my knee!

paologray

Cricket Spectator
I've got 2 lovely cherries on my right leg from last night. One on the outside of the knee, and the other in the middle of the thigh. Superb! Feel the burn!

cpr

International Coach
Depends what you want to define as temperature really.

In the very small area of impact, the energy given off by the forces acting against each other will cause heat to be created. Thats what hotspot is picking up. Whilst the area it covers is wide (the width of the ball), theres no depth to it (only on the surface of the bat), so the felt heat change will be very low. Also the short period of time the energy is being expelled means the effects are very short lived (a second or two at the most??)

Personally I wouldn't define that as a temperature change though. The measurable effect on the atmosphere around is virtually nil. Its the same for all forces reacting. For example clapping your hands releases energy using the same principles, and if you clap long enough the surface of your hands feels warmer, but the air around them doesnt (ie 100 people clapping wont heat a room)

Ruckus

International Captain
It's the temperature change of the localized area of the bat though, not the air around it? I think it could actually be surprisingly high, considering the speed the ball is travelling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd suggest it's not particularly high. Only have to see how hot spot works better over here when it's a damp cold day (cue Burgey comment) then it does on warm days.

paologray

Cricket Spectator
Well, I remember seeing a hot spot clip that was just doing some test recording and it showed a player playing his shot, defending the ball back to the bowler. The hot spot was there bright as hell for all to see, and you could still just see it as the next delivery was bowled. Maybe about 45 seconds later. I'lls ee if I can find that clip...

Ruckus

International Captain
Well, I remember seeing a hot spot clip that was just doing some test recording and it showed a player playing his shot, defending the ball back to the bowler. The hot spot was there bright as hell for all to see, and you could still just see it as the next delivery was bowled. Maybe about 45 seconds later. I'lls ee if I can find that clip...
That doesn't really clarify much though does it? Because it might mean either the temperature increase is quite large, and therefore the area remains 'hot' some time after, or the temperature increase is small, but the equipment is super-sensitive and can pick up even minute differences.

paologray

Cricket Spectator
That doesn't really clarify much though does it? Because it might mean either the temperature increase is quite large, and therefore the area remains 'hot' some time after, or the temperature increase is small, but the equipment is super-sensitive and can pick up even minute differences.

No I suppose it doesn't! I'm just looking at the temps of the bat v players skin v the impact zone.

I have a digi-temp zapper thing, and I've found that the bat stays at around 20 degrees with my skin is 34 degrees. If you look at a hotspot reply, and try to gauge how the hotspot compares in whiteness to the surrounding objects (clothes, skin, bat gloves etc) then I'd say the hotspot is around skin temp (34 degrees).

Thats quite a significant increase in temperature I'd say...?