• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical World Cup

Craig

World Traveller
This Hypothetical Cricket World Cup will be 50 over a-side one-day matches involving all the great or some good one-day international teams since 1970-71 to 2003.

Format: 16 teams divided into 4 teams of 4 groups. The two top finishers go through into a Super Eights where they play off into knockout matches where the winners go through into the semi-finals where the two winners play off in the Hypothetical World Cup Final to have the opportunity of being the winner of the Hypothetical World Cup.

Teams: All the winners of the Cricket World Cup will take part plus eight other great one-day international teams. These don’t have to be World Cup winners. Teams include World Cup winners Australia (1987, 1999, 2003), India (1983), Pakistan (1992), Sri Lanka (1996) and West Indies (1975, 1979).

For multiple winners they field teams for each year of their triumphs. Other teams include New Zealand (1992 [WC semi-finalist who played out of their skin until Inzaman played one heck of a innings]), West Indies (1984-86), Australia (1999-00), South Africa (1992 [semi-finalists in their first WC]), West Indies (1994-96), Zimbabwe (1996-97 [where they beat England 3-0]), South Africa (00-01), and TBC. TBC is for a team to be decided.

Groups:
A – Australia 1987, West Indies 1979, South Africa 1992, TBC
B – Australia 1999, India 1983, New Zealand 1992, West Indies 194-86
C – Australia 2003, Sri Lanka 1996, Zimbabwe 1996-97,West Indies 1994-96
D – West Indies 1975, Pakistan 1992, South Africa 00-01, Australia 1999-00

I will let you posters nominate the 16th team, however there will be no more teams from Australia or WI nominated.

Teams will play against each other by people voting for the likely result so the team with the most amount of votes wins. AlsoI want people to give their reasons why for a team's nomination.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
VC 4 is awful.

ITC only does Tests.

I must say if you have SA and NZ 92, then you have to have England (seeing as they reached the final, and but for rain would've knocked Pakistan out in the Group stage!)

If you do intend simulating the game, then I have Howzat (used in the very successful VWC about 12 months ago) and would be prepared to help out post exams (much better than doing a voting thing which will soon become nationalised)

Craig

World Traveller
Then if you are willing to do that, then yes thank you as I dont have a sim program on my computer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Like I say, it'll be a fortnight or so.

You now have MSN, don't you?

marc at robbins 46 dot freeserve dot co dot uk

amits

Banned
my teams will be almost the same as craig, but it makes no sense to have 2 almost same teams - Aus 1999 and Aus 1999-00

I would go for -

8 wc winners +

NZ 1992, SA 1992 (these 2 teams played out of their skins in the 1992 wc)
Zim 1996 (beat eng 3-0 in an odi series)
WI 1984 (great team to have at that time)
Ind 2003 (u cant leave the 2003 indians who played the wc, amazing comeback)
Ken 2003 (u cant leave even the 2003 kenyans out, played out of their skins to reach the semi-finals)
SA 1999-00 (strong team and were unlucky to go out in the 1999 wc. also beat nz 5-0 later on and won consistently most of the time.
TBC - yet to be decided.

now pools -

Pool A -
WI 1975
Aus 2003
NZ 1992
TBC

Pool B -
WI 1979
Aus 1999
SA 1992
Ken 2003

Pool C -
Ind 1983
SL 1996
WI 1984
Zim 1996

Pool D -
Aus 1987
Pak 1992
SA 1999/00
Ind 2003

i havent inculded the same team twice in the same pool.

u can use VC4 or Total Cricket to run this game.

iamdavid

International Debutant
amits said:
Ind 2003 (u cant leave the 2003 indians who played the wc, amazing comeback)
Ken 2003 (u cant leave even the 2003 kenyans out, played out of their skins to reach the semi-finals)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Amits , you are being very very fanciful there , even the most one eyed of Indian supporters would likely agree with me.

As for Kenya , try again:lol: :lol:

I would prefer the 2000/01 Australians to either the 2003 or 1999 outfit.

1.M.Waugh
2.A.Gilchrist
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Bevan
5.S.Waugh
6.D.Martyn/D.Lehmann
7.A.Symonds/I.Harvey
8.S.Warne
9.B.Lee
10.D.Fleming/J.Gillespie
11.G.McGrath

Having the Waugh's there is just so much better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How about the 8 winners and 8 runners up?

I maintain that you cannot have NZ and SA from 92 without having England.

And it's already established it will be on Howzat.

amits

Banned
iamdavid, stop being so arrogant here.

if zim 1996 can come here, so can ind 2003
if nz 1992 can come here, so can ind 2003
if wi 1994-96 can come here, so can ind 2003

Craig

World Traveller
I will put each of the WC winning teams in the next week and England '92 are at this stage there.

It will give one from all major Test teams (including Zimbabwe).

Craig

World Traveller
Teams:

World Cup winners:

West Indies 1975: RC Fredericks, CG Greenidge, AI Kallicharran, RB Kanhai, *CH Lloyd, IVA Richards, KD Boyce, BD Julien, +DL Murray, VA Holder, AME Roberts.

West Indies 1979: CG Greenidge, DL Haynes, IVA Richards, AI Kallicharran, *CH Lloyd, CL King, +DL Murray, AME Roberts, J Garner, MA Holding, CEH Croft.

India 1983: SM Gavaskar, K Srikkanth, M Amarnath, Yashpal Sharma, SM Patil, *Kapil Dev, K Azad, RMH Binny, Madan Lal, +SMH Kirmani, BS Sandhu.

Australia 1987: DC Boon, SG Marsh, DM Jones, CJ McDermott, *AR Border, MRJ Veletta, SR Waugh, SP O’Donnell, +GC Dyer, TBA May, BA Reid.

Pakistan 1992: Aamir Sohail, Ramiz Raja, *Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Inzamam ul-Haq, Wasim Akram, Salim Malik, Ijaz Ahmed, +Moin Khan, Mushtaq Ahmed, Aqib Javed.

Sri Lanka 1996: ST Jayasuriya, +RS Kaluwitharana, AP Gurusinha, PA de Silva, *A Ranatunga, HP Tillekeratne, RS Mahanama, HDPK Dharmasena, WPUJC Vaas, M Muraltharan, GGP Wickremasinghe.

Australia 1999: ME Waugh, +AC Gilchrist, RT Ponting, DS Lehmann, *SR Waugh, MG Bevan, TM Moody, SK Warne, PR Reiffel, DW Fleming, GD McGrath.

Australia 2003: +AC Gilchrist, ML Hayden, *RT Ponting, DR Martyn, DS Lehmann, MG Bevan, GB Hogg, IJ Harvey, AJ Bichel, B Lee, GDMcGrath.

Non World Cup winners:

New Zealand 1992: MJ Greatbatch, RT Latham, AH Jones, *MD Crowe, CL Cairns, KR Rutherford, CZ Harris, DN Patel, +IDS Smith, GR Larsen, DK Morrison.

South Africa 1992: *KC Wessels, AC Hudson, PN Kirsten, AP Kuiper, WJ Cronje, JN Rhodes, BM McMillan, +DJ Richardson, RP Snell, MW Pringle, AA Donald.

England 1992: *GA Gooch, IT Botham, +AJ Stewart, GA Hick, NH Fairbrother, AJ Lamb, CC Lewis, DA Reeve, DR Pringle, PAJ DeFreitias, RK Illingworth.

All errors noticed please let me know as I will go with Australia 00-01.

If somebody could fill in the rest of the teams, it would be a nice help.