• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England 2012

uvelocity

International Coach
will cycle them like so imo, either one from each row barring injuries

lee & hilf
patto & cummo
johnson & popgun mackay

lee cummo johnson our best lineup

Spark

Global Moderator
Well it looks like Cummins is in. I'd personally like to see Patto too simply because that would be ~beautiful~ buuut

uvelocity

International Coach
rpo is the risk, but I think with those there's plenty of wickets in them. The only other choice would be MacKay but nobody has figured out why he gets wickets. lee cummo popgun.

lee cummo patto would be good but risky.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think we will win this series, Aussie batting to get exposed by our attack as usual. Not that it matters a jot, would far rather had an extra test v SA than this pointless one day series.

Ruckus

International Captain
Exposed as usual? This isn't test cricket. Australia has rarely, if ever, been exposed by England's OD bowling. It has happened in reverse a fair bit though. Think Aus will win this series, but don't expect it to be overly one sided, given Hussey's absence and the away conditions. Neither side looks particularly strong on paper either.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Both sides crazy top-heavy tbh. England look reliant on Bell/Cook/Trott, we look reliant on Watson/Clarke/Hussey.

And yes, frankly, aside from possibly getting some bowling into the young'uns, I don't think this will be particularly meaningful. We know Clarke can bat in England, Warner is just random and Watson will just score 50s. Similar on the other side.

Jacknife

International Captain
I wasn't too arsed a few weeks ago but now it's here it should be good. Obviously want us to win and I'll be gutted if we don't manage to put this Aussie side away.

Some of the articles that have been put out there have been a bit wide of the mark imo. Some journos seem to think that whoever wins this series will have a mental edge when the Ashes come around next year, personally can't see this series having any effect on next years Ashes, it will be long forgotten simply because it's a different format and a year away.

Bit of a crazy stat I've heard mentioned coming into this series, If England win the series 5-0, they will move to the top of the ODI rankings.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
It'll all be on the new Aussie quicks against our top order. It's one thing to say Aus are top heavy because of the likes of Watson, but he's long since batted until the 12th over and the Aussies are perfectly used to that, while we've been relying on hundreds from the top three or it all goes to ****.

Their middle order looks a lot stronger, and a lot of it's from the lack of testing ours has had. We've either had them in during a collapse or in the final few overs. when was the last time we had a healthy scoring partnership from, say, 100/3? Doesn't seem to happen. and while Bresnan would be one of the top #8s around, even I'll admit there are much better #7s.

That said, a big part of the reason we haven't seen much of 4,5,6 is because the top three really have been so good lately. We've also got the better spinner and, I'll venture, the better fielding side (as a bit of a guess because I don't know much about the Aus bowlers).

Home advantage plays a big part for us too with all the wet around. a lot of people thought India would smash us last year just because it was England v India, but we got the ball to swing and got into the top order on a regular basis. Warner, Wade and the like could well be susceptible too. We've won against every team in the world on their last tour here bar NZ back in 2008, so clearly I haven't made this up.

From the squad, I'll play

Cook
Bell
Trott
Bopara
Morgan
Bairstow
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Finn

Doubt there's a point in Kieswetter unless he opens, and since Bell is the man in possession, he's out. There's plenty of pressure on Morgan to hold up that middle order (I still like Ravider's mediums more than I like his batting) and so it's tempting to play Patel ahead of Finn or someone, but I think our best shot is to play to our strengths and make sure we've enough bowling to get through the deep Aussie batting. If the tourists get past the top three, then I don't see Patel being that much help either way, personally.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually really excited for tonight, gonna have some friends around to watch the game. Even if it is a pointless ODI series, at least it's some international cricket!

One thing I've been pondering, is that it seems we (Australia) have more players who can deliver an absolutely disastrous match-winning knock than England. Sure if any of Cook/Bell/Trott ton up it's gonna be hard to overcome, but I'm not sure any English players can really make a huge score at a ridiculous strike rate in the way that Watto and Warner can (although I saw that Morgan scored a ton at >200SR for his county, WAG).

Despite this, there is every chance we will collapse and our bowling will be ****e. But fingers crossed!