• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arguably England's greatest wicketkeeper-batsman

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At Test level Ames was, with all due respect to him, a bit of a minnow basher, and despite the uncovered wickets he did have the benefit of playing in what was essentially a batsman's era.

Knotty on the other hand was all that stood between England and oblivion against Lillee and Thomson and the 1976 WIndians - he was a magnificent keeper and a reassuring sight when he came in at 50-5 - best keeper/batsman in history by a distance imo, and yes I have heard of Adam Gilchrist

Jager

International Debutant
At Test level Ames was, with all due respect to him, a bit of a minnow basher, and despite the uncovered wickets he did have the benefit of playing in what was essentially a batsman's era.

Knotty on the other hand was all that stood between England and oblivion against Lillee and Thomson and the 1976 WIndians - he was a magnificent keeper and a reassuring sight when he came in at 50-5 - best keeper/batsman in history by a distance imo, and yes I have heard of Adam Gilchrist
Fred, obviously Denis Lindsay was South African but how do you rate him?

fredfertang

All the evidence suggests he was just a one series wonder, although what a series it was!

Although it had got him in bother earlier in his career his signature shot was the hook - from what I've read he got it spot on that series but the Aussies couldn't get it out of their head that that was the way to get him out so they kept on feeding it - I've also read that the boundaries were short and that he'd never have come off like that in Oz - can't recall who wrote it, but probably a safe bet the author was Australian

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I would rate Alec Stewarts ton in the 1st innings of the 1994 Barbados test as his best test knock. Much harder conditions than Old Trafford, and the 2nd innings Barbados ton would be 2nd. Would also rate his tons vs Pakistan in 92 and 96 right up there too, cracking innings those, especially the 170 in 1996.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
All the evidence suggests he was just a one series wonder, although what a series it was!

Although it had got him in bother earlier in his career his signature shot was the hook - from what I've read he got it spot on that series but the Aussies couldn't get it out of their head that that was the way to get him out so they kept on feeding it - I've also read that the boundaries were short and that he'd never have come off like that in Oz - can't recall who wrote it, but probably a safe bet the author was Australian
No doubt he was an Aussie :p Was he a good wicketkeeper?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
An awful lot of time for the gaffer; the ultimate professional and how much playing for England meant to him was very palpable.

However, the author of the article the OP posted is making a bit of a stretch when he says Atherton is more a man of the cricketing establishment than Alec was. As a scion of both Surrey and a famous cricketing family (dad ex-test player and England coach and all; Mark Butcher his ex-brother-in-law) Stewie is from the very heart of the cricketing establishment. I think I'm right in saying he was named after Alec Bedser too.

Anyhoo, I think his keeping is sometimes slightly underrated now. When he first took the job he was very inexperienced and did badly in comparison to Jack Russell, who's probably the best pure keeper I've seen. However, typically of the man, he worked very hard at it and improved immeasurably. It's no coincidence the quality of Matty Prior's keeping has undergone a similar upward trajectory since he started working with Alec.

Last edited:

fredfertang

No doubt he was an Aussie :p Was he a good wicketkeeper?
I believe so - he must have been extremely competent if nothing else as he only conced 6 byes in the whole of that 1966/67 series, and held 24 catches as well

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too young to remember Knott, Ames was way before my time. Prior the best I have seen and he would sit well just behind the other two in all fairness. Having watched old clips of Knott he was clearly very good and would be my choice but I respect anyone who would say Ames or Prior instead.

Stewart was good that is all, a lot lower standard than the rest.

greg

International Debutant
Anyhoo, I think his keeping is sometimes slightly underrated now. When he first took the job he was very inexperienced and did badly in comparison to Jack Russell, who's probably the best pure keeper I've seen. However, typically of the man, he worked very hard at it and improved immeasurably. It's no coincidence the quality of Matty Prior's keeping has undergone a similar upward trajectory since he started working with Alec.
Isn't it Bruce French who has been credited with much of the improvement in Prior's glovework?

I still think that in some quarters Prior is a bit underrated for his keeping. I think that the English pace bowlers in particular owe a tremendous amount to his consistent excellence and also his style of keeping. He is quite 'Australian' in his keeping, consistently standing close enough to take the ball high. Russell and Stewart by comparison generally liked to take the ball below their knees (this isn't just a commentary on the pace of the bowlers - I once saw a 'masterclass' with Russell where he said that taking the ball low was a deliberate choice). This allows all the slips to stand closer, which means it is very rare that edges fail to carry. That he and the slips drop so few is amazing.

Also there is Prior's coverage - watch the England slip cordon and see how wide Strauss stands at first slip - in most test sides his position would put him closer to second slip. Prior has licence to go for anything he can reach and usually catches everything. I can't remember the last time i saw a ball pass between keeper and first slip.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't it Bruce French who has been credited with much of the improvement in Prior's glovework?

I still think that in some quarters Prior is a bit underrated for his keeping. I think that the English pace bowlers in particular owe a tremendous amount to his consistent excellence and also his style of keeping. He is quite 'Australian' in his keeping, consistently standing close enough to take the ball high. Russell and Stewart by comparison generally liked to take the ball below their knees (this isn't just a commentary on the pace of the bowlers - I once saw a 'masterclass' with Russell where he said that taking the ball low was a deliberate choice). This allows all the slips to stand closer, which means it is very rare that edges fail to carry. That he and the slips drop so few is amazing.

Also there is Prior's coverage - watch the England slip cordon and see how wide Strauss stands at first slip - in most test sides his position would put him closer to second slip. Prior has licence to go for anything he can reach and usually catches everything. I can't remember the last time i saw a ball pass between keeper and first slip.
I love it when people who know about keeping talk about keeping. This could all be complete bollocks for all I know, but it's convincing enough to me to count as a great post.