• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand domestic season 03/04

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Should be the best domestic season yet for NZ...alot of exciting new players coming through & alot at stake now that payments have been settled & there are clear pathways for the players.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah and it has Craig Spearman and Mohammed Wasim as overseas players.

I predict Nicol, Ryder, Cumming, McIntosh, Papps to have good seasons with the bat. Also how good is Jamie How? He has a decent record and I like the look of Peter Fulton.

I know his only big score is a 300, but at least it does show he can bat for long periods and score the runs.

BTW how long is Wasim contracted to Otago for?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe Wasim will be playing for Otago for the whole domestic season, as he did last season.
Apparently he had some good advice for his team mate Craig Cumming on the Pakistani bowlers.

Jamie How is a good player, his average was tripe though until he scored 2 big hundreds at the end of last season. I recall that he batted well in that World Domestic Championship a few years back in Perth & Dean Jones thought he had a good future. He's probably well down the list of NZ candidates though, he should probably aim for NZ 'A' honours this season.

Yeah Fulton pretty much scored 300 & then a few 50's here & there, but if he can become more consistent then he could force his way into the NZ squad to England, I think he too will be looking at a spot in the NZ 'A' team.

The players with a realistic chance of making the NZ team this season are McIntosh & perhaps either Ryder or Nicol...Cumming may also come into calculations, but the selectors would probably give Richard Jones the nod before him.

I have a feeling though that Jones will be another Matthew Bell and that his technique could well be vunerable at international level.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From the lists I have seen, there are no new spinners this season...but i'd say the players who will look to achieve higher honours than FC level are:

Aaron Redmond (Canterbury)
Jeetan Patel (Wellington)
Luke Woodcock (Wellington)
Bruce Martin (Northern Districts)

Im absolutely sure that in a few years Auckland will produce a very good spinner.

anzac

International Debutant
I'm looking forward to this season and predict some interesting selections at rep level, particularly with Braces' County success at OD level & the upcoming tour to England.

:)

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
From the lists I have seen, there are no new spinners this season...but i'd say the players who will look to achieve higher honours than FC level are:

Aaron Redmond (Canterbury)
Jeetan Patel (Wellington)
Luke Woodcock (Wellington)
Bruce Martin (Northern Districts)

Im absolutely sure that in a few years Auckland will produce a very good spinner.
Aaron Redmond might have sneaked up the list as he can bowl some wrist spin.

anzac

International Debutant
hey guys we are now into the 2nd round in the State Championship.....

can we have some updates from the local correspondents not just of the scores, but also of individual performances - particularly regarding the form etc of current & fringe players....

I know we can get the stats etc elsewhere (main menu), but some local 'colour' / discussion etc would be appreciated...

ta muchly

:D

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Luke Woodcock is more of a batting allrounder who can bowl left arm spin.

Redmond is only a part time option for Canterbury.

Jeff Wilson is by the far the best performer so far in the State Championship.

anzac

International Debutant
is Wilson back to bowling medium fast as he did during his ODI days???? I recall he got an ankle injury which meant he was restricted in movement & changed to bowling spin.

Perhaps if the Pakistan series was being selected now he could have made the team ahead of some of the players that did go - another lower order allrounder of established ODI credentials & perhaps a 'sleeper' for the upcoming Home series?????

I fondly remember his VB Series exploits with Cairns some years back........

anzac

International Debutant
I am having real trouble with my links to getting much info on the Domestic scene....

The old NZ crick info home site has been revamped & I can not find anything other than the headlines, and the wisden cricinfo link won't let me open the domestic links!!!!!!!

:(

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Whatever happened to that legsinner Brooke Walker? He seemed to be on the cusp of being a Test regular and has seemed to disappear?

Craig

World Traveller
James Franklin bats at 5 for Wellington :O

Oh and well done to Fulton for his 114.

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
James Franklin bats at 5 for Wellington :O

Oh and well done to Fulton for his 114.

not really surprised re Franklin - when he gained ODI selection some years back he was actually being considered more as a long term prospect to replace Cairns as the allrounder in the Test team, as he was originally noticed as a youngster as a batsman b4 his bowling came to the fore........