• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saker rates attack as good as great Australians

smash84

The Tiger King
It helps if you're going to be playing for your country. I think top of off is top of off though generally speaking. Again, within reason. I'm not sure a bloke who's 5 foot tall trying to hit the top of off would be that threatening. Although, if he was bowling 150 clicks it would be difficult to face.

emmm.....I wasn't trying to point out bowlers playing for their country. Just that these bowlers all had a good height and a high arm action and it made it difficult to play them

Sami isn't that tough to face

Ruckus

International Captain
I read something in another player's biography (I think it was Adam Gilchrist) where he said when they held meetings to discuss where they were going to bowl to certain players McGrath would just say "top of off". It really is that simple basically.

I think where you can get yourself in trouble as a bowler is when you worry about what the batsman is doing and make them the focus as you run in. When you're bowling well it's almost like the batsman isn't even there.
yeah indeed. It's one thing having a good, simple bowling plan though and another thing to be able to execute it so well. You often hear massive praise over skills like being able to swing the ball both ways etc., but being able to bowl in the same areas so consistently surely has to be something that requires a damn lot of talent as well.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure, and I was saying that while that is important, if you bowl to hit the top of off, and can do it consistently regardless of your height, you'll cause a few issues (other attributes like sufficient pace and the ability to create a bit of movement not withstanding).

(In reply to Smalishah)

Last edited: