• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saker rates attack as good as great Australians

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Lee took 310 wickets at 30 apiece from memory, surely that rates well compared to Broad and especially Bresnan?
Broad actually has about 160 wickets at a better average than Lee at the moment, and if you just look at the last 2 years he averages about 24 I believe. Bresnan's sample size is probably a bit too small, but he has done very well for himself.

Debris

International 12th Man
Lee took 310 wickets at 30 apiece from memory, surely that rates well compared to Broad and especially Bresnan?
And Lee's average probably took a fair hit because he was being asked to play a role for a lot of his career. Steve Waugh in particular want him to rough opposition batsman up rather than get them out.

It was noticable how much better he became after McGrath retired. He was finally bowling to get batsmen out rather than knock them out.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad actually has about 160 wickets at a better average than Lee at the moment, and if you just look at the last 2 years he averages about 24 I believe. Bresnan's sample size is probably a bit too small, but he has done very well for himself.

Well lee took 148 wickets at 26.92 from the 2005 aus summer til about the end of his career, and then of course, the 80 odd wickets at 26 at the start of his career,...so yeah that's about 230 wickets at around 26-27.oh and at a strike rate probably below 50.

Of course the time inbetween was fairly shocking...but still. Broad from the start of his career til that SL series before the India series is actually probably fairly similar to Lee in that 'middle' period, in terms of results anyway. And Broad's performance since that India series is probably fairly similar to Lee's start

Last edited:

Spikey

i'm trying to say that Lee has two golden periods that are really awesome and also one really bad one

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My enduring memory of Brett Lee bowling will always be at the end of the 2005 Ashes when he was throwing everything at Hoggard, being gun barrel straight and Matthew played him with a stick of rhubarb.

Would struggle to get into England's second seam bowling attack for me. Massively over-rated Test bowler.

Jacknife

International Captain
Obviously the England bowling attack isn't as good as Warne, McGrath, Gillespie and AN Other, but I'm not sure that Saker was really saying that it is, when you consider his comments as a whole. Makes a good headline, though.
Pretty much what I thought, don't like the headline but when you read it I don't think that's what he's saying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad has the potential to be as good or better than Dizzy but not yet. Needs to do what he's doing for longer.

Anderson though is gun.
Yeah I probably could have worded it better, but if you take the way Broad has bowled in the last year or so, it matches up to any period from Dizzy IMO. If you looked at careers overall it's a none starter at this point, but that's a question for Broad's career being over.

My overall point, anyway, is that McGrath & Warne are two of the best ever but I think Anderson & Broad could have got into that Australia XI, which suggests certain comments in this thread have been OTT. There are some posters round here who for some reason still aren't giving this attack the credit it deserves and I don't know what more they can do to get it.

Son Of Coco

It was noticable how much better he became after McGrath retired. He was finally bowling to get batsmen out rather than knock them out.
Was thinking this as well, the bowler he was after McGrath retired made you think "Where the **** was this for the last however many years!?"

Think Kasper and Bichel are a little under-rated because they struggled to get in the team for the most part. They would've walked in the past 3-4 years.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Kaspa was very important in the 2003-05 period, the tours to SL and India he was huge. Made a weird career progression, started off as a guy bowling big hooping out-swingers, and towards the end seemed to slide most balls in towards the stumps, sort of like a slinger.

I don't think that you could ever say that Bichel was part of the Australian first choice Test attack. Kaspa certainly was at one stage.

Son Of Coco

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah I probably could have worded it better, but if you take the way Broad has bowled in the last year or so, it matches up to any period from Dizzy IMO. If you looked at careers overall it's a none starter at this point, but that's a question for Broad's career being over.

My overall point, anyway, is that McGrath & Warne are two of the best ever but I think Anderson & Broad could have got into that Australia XI, which suggests certain comments in this thread have been OTT. There are some posters round here who for some reason still aren't giving this attack the credit it deserves and I don't know what more they can do to get it.
Face SA and do well for starters. I'd like to see them bowl to a side in form and willing to grind them down, not people like Kieron Powell, and then see if they have a plan B or C.

Spikey

i think Bichel has been ever so slightly over-rated due to the whole 12th man thing

Spikey

can't believe rob hasn't uploaded every single stuart clark wicket. disappointing to say the least

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Face SA and do well for starters. I'd like to see them bowl to a side in form and willing to grind them down, not people like Kieron Powell, and then see if they have a plan B or C.
If they manage that then people like you will find something else to nit pick about.

After demolishing Pakistan in summer 2010, people said "well, we'll see how they go in Australia." Broad got injured, but Anderson had the best series by a visiting quick for 20 years.

"Ah, but that Australian line up was crap" people said. "Sri Lanka and India will pose a much sterner test of their abilities."

Then they dominated both. "Oh, but that's at home. Let's see how they do in Asia."

They both averaged under 30 in the UAE, and Anderson bowled beautifully in Sri Lanka.

Now it's "we'll ignore how well they've bowled against the West Indies because they're crap. Let's see how they fare against South Africa."

Then, should they do well against South Africa, it'll be "they haven't done it in India." (even though Anderson has.)

Jacknife

International Captain
If they manage that then people like you will find something else to nit pick about.

After demolishing Pakistan in summer 2010, people said "well, we'll see how they go in Australia." Broad got injured, but Anderson had the best series by a visiting quick for 20 years.

"Ah, but that Australian line up was crap" people said. "Sri Lanka and India will pose a much sterner test of their abilities."

Then they dominated both. "Oh, but that's at home. Let's see how they do in Asia."

They both averaged under 30 in the UAE, and Anderson bowled beautifully in Sri Lanka.

Now it's "we'll ignore how well they've bowled against the West Indies because they're crap. Let's see how they fare against South Africa."

Then, should they do well against South Africa, it'll be "they haven't done it in India." (even though Anderson has.)
Sure will, it's almost a given now.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes because they've only bowled well to the WI haven't they mate.:laugh:

Uppercut

Some shocking use of stats in here. It's as if there's a rule of cricket I've never heard of stating that bowlers aren't allowed to improve over the course of their test career.

Also, lol Saker. Swann especially must be a bit embarrassed. It's like your Mum publicly declaring to the school that you're as good looking as Brad Pitt.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The headline is a bit misleading. Saker doesn't really suggest they're as good as them. But I guess he should have known how his words may have been used by the media.