Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket's great all-rounders

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar

Cricket's great all-rounders

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been done, but I was reading the Shaun Pollock thread and thought it'd be interesting to discuss the merits of history's all-rounders.

Who do you think are the greatest, and who were of most value to their team. I'll begin by naming some off the top of my head, and you can add those I forget.

Complete All Rounders (who would be selected as either a batsman or bowler in their side)

Keith Miller
    Imran Khan
    Ian Botham
    Kapil Dev

Bowling All Rounders (may or may not be selected in their side as only a batsman)

Richard Hadlee
    Shaun Pollock
    Wasim Akram
    Richie Benaud

Batting All Rounders (may or may not be selected in their side as only a bowler)

Garry Sobers
    Jaques Kallis
    Steve Waugh

Miller for me. Can bat anywhere in the top order, open the bowling or come in as a devastating first change, captain a side with flair, take impossible catches, inspire the team and win over both sides of the crowd. Imran close behind as a second choice- probably a better bowler but nothing like Miller as a match-winner at the crease or in the field. There was actually a thread just like this a little while ago, I'll try and dig it up.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Great article: Who is the Finest All-Rounder to have Graced the Game?

It won't let me go past page three so I can't find the old thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    The man in my avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Aubrey Faulkner and Warwick Armstrong were both genuine all rounders IMO.

Agree with Jager that Miller is probably the best. No offense intended to Imran, however Miller would bat anywhere in the order and make runs, then come out and devastate batting orders with the ball. He could field, inspire as captain (although "scatter" wouldn't have been the most confidence-inspiring word when setting a field) and basically do anything. Plus he didn't try that hard half the time - if he put all his effort in he could have been even further ahead of the pack.

Plus he was a fighter pilot, a VFL player and almost became a jockey. And reportedly had an affair with Princess Margaret. WAG.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post

Agree with Jager that Miller is probably the best. No offense intended to Imran, however Miller would bat anywhere in the order and make runs, then come out and devastate batting orders with the ball. He could field, inspire as captain (although "scatter" wouldn't have been the most confidence-inspiring word when setting a field) and basically do anything. Plus he didn't try that hard half the time - if he put all his effort in he could have been even further ahead of the pack.

Plus he was a fighter pilot, a VFL player and almost became a jockey. And reportedly had an affair with Princess Margaret. WAG.
    The Boston Red Sox also requested that he try out for them!

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post

Imran better in captaincy and bowling

Miller better in batting and fielding.

No offence to Miller

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Imran better in captaincy and bowling

Miller better in batting and fielding.

No offence to Miller
    I would disagree with the captaincy part. Everyone hails Benaud as a fantastic captain, and he learnt nearly everything he knew from Miller, who studied the game fastidiously and had lots of flair. Such a shame he didn't get the chance to captain Australia, I have no doubts in my mind he would have been one of our finest captains and raised his game even higher than usual.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Oh yippee, another lets big up my own nations best ever all rounder and belittle anyone else who has a different opinion.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i don't remember imran or sobers ever scoring 69 and being one of his teams best bowlers in an IPL final

Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

"good point"

well i guess imran khan may have scored a 69 during an IPL final. if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Oh yippee, another lets big up my own nations best ever all rounder and belittle anyone else who has a different opinion.
    Hahaha, I do love Imran, Hadlee, Faulkner etc. but Miller's got it all going for him here. So does Imran obviously, but personally I think Miller more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    well i guess imran khan may have scored a 69 during an IPL final. if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information