Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abdul Qadir. Genius or enigmatic flop?

Abdul Qadir. Genius or enigmatic flop?

If you were to observe Qadir bowl for any length of time then you'd have to conclude genius;

*GENIUS* ABDUL QADIR - THE LEGEND - A COMPILATION OF HIS BEST BOWLING - YouTube

I especially liked watching the 'wrongun' during the opening seconds of Robelinda's Youtube video that cleaned up Kim Hughes (WACA,1983?).

However, his figures just don't back up his obvious skills. 236 wickets at 32.80 with a Strike Rate of 72.5 is quite ordinary. What's more, these numbers only appear OK because of his good record at home. Qadir's away record is very disappointing . For example, in Australia he has only 12 wickets at 61.00 with a Strike Rate of 109.7. Yet Australia has bouncy pitches that normally favour leg-spin.

So, what are we to make of Abdul Qadir? I for one am confused.
    Last edited by watson; 28-05-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    why can't he be in the middle
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    why can't he be in the middle
    This.

Cricket is not a sport of simple dichotomies, it is far more nuanced than that. He could be very good one day, average the next, and significantly below par not long after. And then he'd bowl a fantastic delivery out of nowhere and make the world's best batsmen look like fools.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    If it wasn't for Warne who came just after him he would be rated a lot higher than he is now. Class act, yes he was in and out but there aren't many Pakistan bowlers who aren't. Seems part of their make up.

Neither of the two.

A very good legspinner with good varieties - arguably the best legspinner ever from Pakistan...but definitely short in achievement compared to someone like Anil Kumble, for example.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    probably the legspinner with the most variety ever

However, as flibbertyjibber mentions he was quite quite hot and cold. Not really much consistent and nowhere near as accurate as Warne.

More famous because of his variety than control
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post

If you were to observe Qadir bowl for any length of time then you'd have to conclude genius;

*GENIUS* ABDUL QADIR - THE LEGEND - A COMPILATION OF HIS BEST BOWLING - YouTube

I especially liked watching the 'wrongun' during the opening seconds of Robelinda's Youtube video that cleaned up Kim Hughes (WACA,1983?).

However, his figures just don't back up his obvious skills. 236 wickets at 32.80 with a Strike Rate of 72.5 is quite ordinary. What's more, these numbers only appear OK because of his good record at home. Qadir's away record is very disappointing . For example, in Australia he has only 12 wickets at 61.00 with a Strike Rate of 109.7. Yet Australia has bouncy pitches that normally favour leg-spin.

So, what are we to make of Abdul Qadir? I for one am confused.
    and yes....he probably had the best googly ever

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    He had a bigger reputation than he might otherwise have had because it did look for most of his career like he would be the last of his line - he was a class act though - I used to love watching him bowl

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    probably the legspinner with the most variety ever

However, as flibbertyjibber mentions he was quite quite hot and cold. Not really much consistent and nowhere near as accurate as Warne.

More famous because of his variety than control
    I think that smalishah84 has hit the nail on the head. The reason that Qadir was less successful than the likes of Warne and Kumble was his lack of accuracy. So while his variety of deliveries made him an unpredictable genius his lack of control meant that he finished up as Mr. Average.

Would I put him in some kind of ATG team though? Mmnnmm yes, probably. Firstly, because he is more entertaining than someone like Kumble, and secondly, because he has the necessary quirkiness to bowl out world class batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    He had a bigger reputation than he might otherwise have had because it did look for most of his career like he would be the last of his line - he was a class act though - I used to love watching him bowl
    Agreed!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    A true showman. Love the way he skips and glides to the wicket and then releases the ball with a great action.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    also because he was very successful against england and since english cricket journalism built or broke reputations those days, he was deemed a magician by those from certain parts of the cricketing world while the folks from the remaining parts, like india, didnt rate him highly.

i loved his style, aggression and the awesome spin he imparted on the ball
    Last edited by bagapath; 29-05-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    If it wasn't for Warne who came just after him he would be rated a lot higher than he is now. Class act, yes he was in and out but there aren't many Pakistan bowlers who aren't. Seems part of their make up.
    Kumble?
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

State Vice-Captain
    ^^Kumble,as much as the current setup would give to have another like him right now, was far from imposing outside India, once ppl figured him out and started playing him in the V like a medium pacer. I can't remember the no. of times in the middle part of his career that I'd be clutching my hair in frustration at his inability to change matches abroad. He improved slightly towards the end with varied crease-use, changes in pace, the badly disguised googly...basically, he won us matches at home and did little more than contain outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    ^^Kumble,as much as the current setup would give to have another like him right now, was far from imposing outside India, once ppl figured him out and started playing him in the V like a medium pacer. I can't remember the no. of times in the middle part of his career that I'd be clutching my hair in frustration at his inability to change matches abroad. He improved slightly towards the end with varied crease-use, changes in pace, the badly disguised googly...basically, he won us matches at home and did little more than contain outside.
    Story of every Indian cricketer.
    "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information