• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Benevolent BCCI?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
C'mon. How do I make it seem so? I'm simply trying to point out that it is their prerogative to pay whomsoever they feel like paying. We can dislike the way they have handled it, but doubting a good gesture is definitely an immature way of looking at the bigger picture. Truth be repeated, the players who were paid really needed the money. We can call it as "paying off" or whatever fancy term we want to. But look at the gesture, we should not attach undertones to it.

Yes. And as long as Kapil Dev and others are fine with it, I don't see what the fuss is all about.
Giving money to everyone who played for India would be good deed... Here, they are simply giving money to anyone who will not criticize them.. How can you ever call that a good deed? They are not paying money to charities here, they are giving benefits to people who helped make the game, AND this board, what it is today..

intcricket

U19 12th Man
If the money which should be purely based on services rendered as a cricketer is requisite on complicity then it's bribery, pure and simple. The money should have absolutely nothing to do with whether the cricketers agree with the BCCI's policies - if that is indeed driving who gets money, then this is simply an attempt to buy silence, and it's despicable. Because that's bribery.
It is purely an individual choice to make. Sanjay Manjrekar immediately invested his money in some Mutual funds and his recent article on cricinfo started with an advisory that he is not on the BCCI payroll, which to the BCCI may appear to be provocation, prima facie. Bishan Singh Bedi is one of the most vociferous critics of Indian cricket and his silence cannot be bought.

It is purely an individual choice to make.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
And if Kapil Dev is not fine with it?
It is Kapil Dev's problem with the BCCI. I don't see why anyone should get angry on behalf of Kapil Dev.

Giving money to everyone who played for India would be good deed... Here, they are simply giving money to anyone who will not criticize them.. How can you ever call that a good deed? They are not paying money to charities here, they are giving benefits to people who helped make the game, AND this board, what it is today..
See, it is a Private body and it is purely their decision to pay whomsoever they feel like paying. On a personal level, I did not like what they did. But then, if we look at the bigger picture, the players who were paid really needed the money. And there is not an iota of interest on their part to comment on the working of the BCCI, for they can't even make ends meet. So it was good to pay them the benefit.

BCCI is paying money to people who won't speak against them, even if it is the right thing to do.. That is bribery in a form...
It is something open to interpretation, for most of the players paid don't have money to make ends meet. The shrewd ones we keep seeing on TV, whether paid or not, are too big to contradict themselves, for if they diss BCCI one day and stop it after the paycheque, the public will spot the "act" and these champion cricketers will lose credibility.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It is Kapil Dev's problem with the BCCI. I don't see why anyone should get angry on behalf of Kapil Dev.
I hope you realize the irony of your statement considering how hard you're trying to convince us of your opinion on a matter that does not involve yourself.

Dazinho

School Boy/Girl Captain
Got to say this sort of thing invariably has a bad smell to it.

Because someone used to play cricket, football, snooker, whatever, I've never understood an argument that says that 'the game' should look after them for all eternity.

Playing high level sport is a privelege and the natural path that follows it should be to find another source of income - for istance, there's loads of media work out there for ex-players.

When one adds in the fact that money is given out not solely on the basis of need, but also on whether the individual says nice things about the BCCI or not, it's enough to pose a few awkward questions.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you" and all that...

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I don't even know how to respond to that.
Raise an eyebrow, sigh and shake your head.

Don't get me wrong its a nice thing for the BCCI to do in principle but only paying these people so long as they don't speak out against the BCCI's policies, imagine the situation we'd have in England if we did something similar to former English cricketers, I think it'd be safe to say no one in the Sky box or for the most part TMS would be getting any money.