• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Benevolent BCCI?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Its a "Mission Hate BCCI" isn't it?

Despite giving credit where due that BCCI atleast thought about its past players, everyone finds something to whine about.

Lets see other countries pay (if they can afford it that is), atleast half the amount the BCCI paid to its former cricketers.
All of us would applaud the decision if they paid every former player. Everyone realizes how little players used to make, and it would be a great gesture to show appreciation for helping build Indian cricket into what it is today. Assuming of course, if this payment represented a reward for service to Indian cricket, rather than a payment for subservience to BCCI's politics.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a private body and can do as it pleases, like all private bodies do, as odious as it may be for more idealistic eyes.
And again, no one is claiming it's illegal for BCCI to act like this (though TBF it might be, I'm not sure about Indian law and it also depends how the rules for the payments are worded), but we also have a right to call them out on their ridiculous behavior.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
This isn't about the BCCI's ability to pay people, it's about the people they are choosing not to pay and the hidden reasons behind their choices.
All of us would applaud the decision if they paid every former player. Everyone realizes how little players used to make, and it would be a great gesture to show appreciation for helping build Indian cricket into what it is today. Assuming of course, if this payment represented a reward for service to Indian cricket, rather than a payment for subservience to BCCI's politics.
C'mon now. The gesture counts. Lets not get the daggers out suspecting things. The people not paid for whatever reasons don't need it too. And it is their matter. Why do we have to fret about it?

Jager

International Debutant
C'mon now. The gesture counts. Lets not get the daggers out suspecting things. The people not paid for whatever reasons don't need it too. And it is their matter. Why do we have to fret about it?
How can you not be outraged by India's greatest ever cricketer going unrewarded?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Their actions are discriminatory which, whatever the reasons behind it, strike me as offensive

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Its a "Mission Hate BCCI" isn't it?

Despite giving credit where due that BCCI atleast thought about its past players, everyone finds something to whine about.

Lets see other countries pay (if they can afford it that is), atleast half the amount the BCCI paid to its former cricketers.
You're aware that the article was written by an Indian staff member aren't you?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think Kapil is the only one missing and I am sure there are a few out of those who were not paid who really did NEED this money..

It is something that is gonna help a lot of the past players, sure, but this move by the BCCI is just as much about ensuring these past players dont speak against them. As someone above said, it is a reward for toeing their line than for playing cricket for or in India.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
I dont think Kapil is the only one missing and I am sure there are a few out of those who were not paid who really did NEED this money..

It is something that is gonna help a lot of the past players, sure, but this move by the BCCI is just as much about ensuring these past players dont speak against them. As someone above said, it is a reward for toeing their line than for playing cricket for or in India.
See, every player has a choice to make. If he chooses to diss the board even after accepting the monies, he's a smart man, I reckon. I'm sure Bishan Bedi just raised his hand after reading this :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not at all. You make it seem as if people should be given benefits for the jobs they did only if they still support what their company does today... It really should not be like that. You are rewarding them for doing what they did back then as if it wasn't for their contributions, you won't be making the money you are doing today...

They are simply using this carrot as a way to get people to be their lackeys.. And these players really deserve better than that.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Not at all. You make it seem as if people should be given benefits for the jobs they did only if they still support what their company does today... It really should not be like that. You are rewarding them for doing what they did back then as if it wasn't for their contributions, you won't be making the money you are doing today...
C'mon. How do I make it seem so? I'm simply trying to point out that it is their prerogative to pay whomsoever they feel like paying. We can dislike the way they have handled it, but doubting a good gesture is definitely an immature way of looking at the bigger picture. Truth be repeated, the players who were paid really needed the money. We can call it as "paying off" or whatever fancy term we want to. But look at the gesture, we should not attach undertones to it.

They are simply using this carrot as a way to get people to be their lackeys.. And these players really deserve better than that.
Yes. And as long as Kapil Dev and others are fine with it, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Not really. If it doesn't concern me, why should I let it affect me, tbf? I'm aware that my personal view will just be my personal view at the end of the day. Rhetoric is best left to others.

While I privately strongly disagree with the way they treated Kapil, it is really BCCI's business to pay whomsoever they want to.

Spark

Global Moderator
If the money which should be purely based on services rendered as a cricketer is requisite on complicity then it's bribery, pure and simple. The money should have absolutely nothing to do with whether the cricketers agree with the BCCI's policies - if that is indeed driving who gets money, then this is simply an attempt to buy silence, and it's despicable. Because that's bribery.