• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why have West Indian pitches slowed down?

Chubb

International Regular
Commentators at the test yesterday were talking about how the Caribbean wickets have slowed down in the last decade or more. Heard that before, but I don't remember anyone explaining why. It seems pretty indisputable it has happened, but I don't recall us even having a discussion on here about the reasons for it. Is it climatic? Down to poor groundstaff? Or has their been a culture change in the West Indies towards fast wickets?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I haven't heard any explanations myself, but I vaguely recall reading that the main reason the WACA had quietened down was because the earth that was used to make the wicket (from a dried up riverbed, IIRC) had run out.

My guess is maybe something similar in the caribbean. Some of the old test grounds have been replaced and perhaps the new ones aren't as conducive to making the hard, fast and bouncy decks we used to see.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you listen to Holding he plays down the fact the pitches in West Indies were ever quick anyway even in his era.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'd say the rose-tinted specs are playing their part. That and the fact that they had one of the best fast bowling attacks of all time.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Presumably you don't prepare a quick wicket unless your fast bowlers are better than the oppo

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Presumably you don't prepare a quick wicket unless your fast bowlers are better than the oppo
Helpful pitch will close down the gap between a superior and an inferior bowling attack. If your fast bowlers are better, prepare less bowler friendly pitches, because they can still get something out of it while other team cannot get anything out of it.

Best example I could give is SL pitches, which are deemed "spin" friendly. No one except Murali, Warne and Vettori bowled well on them. Almost all Indian and Pakistani spinners averaged 40 on them because only Murali could get spin out of the pitch.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
We tried doing the helpful wickets thing for the India series last year... Wasn't helpful enough for them,

Athlai

Not Terrible
Helpful pitch will close down the gap between a superior and an inferior bowling attack. If your fast bowlers are better, prepare less bowler friendly pitches, because they can still get something out of it while other team cannot get anything out of it.

Best example I could give is SL pitches, which are deemed "spin" friendly. No one except Murali, Warne and Vettori bowled well on them. Almost all Indian and Pakistani spinners averaged 40 on them because only Murali could get spin out of the pitch.
It's hardly like Murali and Warne particularly need spin friendly pitches either, or that Vettori gets any help from turning decks.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
I recall reading an article which suggested that the West Indies Board asked for slower pitches during their hayday so that tests would go the full 5 days, thus increasing revenue. With the fearsome West Indies attack they were bowling sides out too quick.