• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Lost Generation

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Very interesting read.

The side you've come up with is pretty strong, and definitely could have challenged the West Indies of the time.

If you consider all the players who didn't get to represent South Africa, or were limited, and try to come up with an XI:

Richards, B
Barlow, E
Kirsten, P
Cook, J
Pollock, G
Rice, C
Procter, M
Lindsay, D
Pollock, P
Le Roux, G
Van de Bilj, V

Obviously such an XI would never play together - Garth Le Roux was 17 when Peter Pollock retired, for example - but as a cross-era XI they would be near-unbeatable.

TNT

Banned
Very interesting read.

The side you've come up with is pretty strong, and definitely could have challenged the West Indies of the time.

If you consider all the players who didn't get to represent South Africa, or were limited, and try to come up with an XI:

Richards, B
Barlow, E
Kirsten, P
Cook, J
Pollock, G
Rice, C
Procter, M
Lindsay, D
Pollock, P
Le Roux, G
Van de Bilj, V

Obviously such an XI would never play together - Garth Le Roux was 17 when Peter Pollock retired, for example - but as a cross-era XI they would be near-unbeatable.
Could quite easily see an Australian side beat them TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another ripper, fred.

When reading it I couldn't help mentally adding in some of the SA-raised players who took the Queen's Shilling to the equation too. I think it's fair to assume the likes of Ian Greig, Neal Radford & Paul Parker probably wouldn't have caused the Republic's selectors too many sleepless nights, but D'Oliveria, the senior Greig, Lamb & the two Smith brothers would've likely been in their thoughts.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When reading it I couldn't help mentally adding in some of the SA-raised players who took the Queen's Shilling to the equation too. I think it's fair to assume the likes of Ian Greig, Neal Radford & Paul Parker probably wouldn't have caused the Republic's selectors too many sleepless nights, but D'Oliveria, the senior Greig, Lamb & the two Smith brothers would've likely been in their thoughts.
I pondered Lamb as well, but decided he was 80s in the end, and Greigy I thought jumped ship a bit too early - in addition for some reason while Lamby was always a saffer for some reason I did and still do think of Greigy as an Englishman with some unfortunate Scottish ancestry which meant he had a silly accent!

They would presumably have pinched Brian Davison as well if they'd been short - picking Rhodesians never seemed to trouble them

Debris

International 12th Man
Very interesting read.

Richards, B
Barlow, E
Kirsten, P
Cook, J
Pollock, G
Rice, C
Procter, M
Lindsay, D
Pollock, P
Le Roux, G
Van de Bilj, V

This is assuming the skills would transfer to test cricket. There are a large number of players who were very successful at first class level but failed at test level. Would think that there would be 3 or 4 at least who would underperform at test level.

SeamUp

International Coach
Great read, thankyou very much!

Its such a pity that they couldn't have played at the highest stage possible for their entire careers. But there is no denying the talent there in this generation.

Funny that the Apartheid government was Afrikaans and all our cricket players then were English speaking South Africans. Someone like Naas Botha still got to play test rugby in year of isolation! Rugby being Afrikaans dominated sport in South Africa.

Anyways this was the squad picked for the 1971/72 tour to Australia before it was cancelled.

South Africa squad to tour Australia in 1971-72 Ali Bacher (capt), Eddie Barlow*, Hylton Ackerman, Dassie Biggs, Grahame Chevalier, Peter de Vaal, Lee Irvine, Denis Lindsay, Graeme Pollock, Peter Pollock, Mike Proctor, Clive Rice, Barry Richards, Pat Trimborn, Vince van der Bijl.

The stand-out names of Ackerman, Rice,Vd Bijl picked for the first time.

Probable team

Barlow (vc)
Richards
Bacher (c)
G. Pollock
Irvine
Rice
Lindsay (w-k)
Procter
P.Pollock
Van der Bijl
Chevalier

SeamUp

International Coach
Another read from Robin Jackman who played Provincial cricket for a few years in South Africa and also went on to coach the Western province team in the mid to late 80's

Robin Jackman picks his South African XI of the 1980s

Roving Reporter by Chandrahas Choudhury

December 1, 2004

It is often lamented that a generation of very fine South African cricketers from the late 1970s and '80s never played any international cricket - or, at best, a minuscule amount in the twilight of their careers, after South Africa's readmission to world cricket in 1991. The only international sides that these players took on were the controversial so-called rebel teams from England, West Indies and Australia.

Imagination, however, permits many things that reality does not. So what if we were to imagine a South African team from that era themselves rebelling against time, and landing up in the India of 2004 to play a Test series? Which players would be on that team, and how would they fare? These questions were put to Robin Jackman, the former England player who is now a familiar face (and voice) in India through his commentary work. He played in South Africa's domestic Currie Cup matches for many years.

"Jackers" took the matter so seriously that he asked to be allowed to ponder the question overnight. The next day he had a team neatly written down in black.

"I'll pick a South African side from the mid-1980s," he said, "so that we stay within the limits of the exercise as I understand it, and don't pick any players who played Tests for South Africa in the '70s. Also, I began my tenure as coach of Western Province in 1985, so I was watching the domestic scene quite carefully then, and remember a lot of the players quite well. So here's my team to play India.

"As my openers I'd take Jimmy Cook and Henry Fotheringham. Cook had a tremendous technique, and made thousands of runs for Somerset on very good pitches, similar to those you find in India. So he'd play quite well here, I think. Fotheringham was more workmanlike, but a fine player in his own right, and a good foil for Cook.

"At No. 3 I'd have to pick the leading batsman of my time in South African cricket, Peter Kirsten. Peter was an attacking batsman with all the strokes in the book, and a phenomenal player of spin. Kirsten could also bowl a bit of offspin, rather like Virender Sehwag in the current Indian side - always useful as an option. And at 5 I'd have another fine player of spin, Ken McEwan. Both Peter and Ken had plenty of experience of English county cricket, and could adapt quickly to any conditions. They'd enjoy taking on the Indian spinners.

"At No. 4, in between Kirsten and McEwan, I'd pick Allan Lamb. I'm cheating a little bit, because Lamb played plenty of Tests for England, but I'm assuming he'd have played for South Africa if he'd been able to. Lamb was a fine player of the quicks, and he made a lot of runs against the great West Indies team of the '80s - just the right man to bat at the heart of the top order.

"At 6 I'm picking Kevin McKenzie, Neil's father. A high-class player, and one of the best hookers of the ball I've ever seen. And at 7 is my allrounder, Clive Rice. A good batsman and a very clever bowler, genuinely quick when he was young. Rice was also a very astute thinker on the game, so he's my captain. And there's not too much trouble over the wicketkeeper. Ray Jennings, the coach of the current team, was the best wicketkeeper in South Africa in his time.

"Now for the bowlers. At No. 9 would be Garth Le Roux, Imran Khan's team-mate at Sussex. Big, fast, bustling, aggressive; bowled a lot of bouncers. Just right as your spearhead. Like a lot of fast bowlers, he could also hit the ball a long way. And as Le Roux's new-ball partner I'd pick Stephen Jefferies. If you want to conjure up an image of Jefferies, think of Irfan Pathan. Jefferies was very like him - similar build, same sort of pace, big swinger of the ball.

"And the last man would have to be a spinner: the deadly accurate Alan Kourie, of Transvaal. Kourie was not a big spinner of the ball, but then you don't have to be on these pitches. It's more important that you put it in the right places. I reckon he'd give the Indian batsmen some trouble.

"So there you have it," said Jackers, stubbing out his cigarette. "A good balanced side: six classy batsmen and an allrounder at No. 7; two fine quicks in Le Roux and Jefferies; Rice at first change, and Kourie as the spinner, with Kirsten for a little offspin.

"They'd be good enough to give your lot a pretty tough fight."

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be about the time you lost your kids in the frozen food aisle at the supermarket back in '84, Tangy.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be about the time you lost your kids in the frozen food aisle at the supermarket back in '84, Tangy.
Will you please stop publicising aspects of my life story that I have told you in confidence Mr Murphy - we have no statute of limitations here and my shambolic attempts at amateur cryogenics could yet land me with a life sentence

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I pondered Lamb as well, but decided he was 80s in the end, and Greigy I thought jumped ship a bit too early - in addition for some reason while Lamby was always a saffer for some reason I did and still do think of Greigy as an Englishman with some unfortunate Scottish ancestry which meant he had a silly accent!

They would presumably have pinched Brian Davison as well if they'd been short - picking Rhodesians never seemed to trouble them
Was Greig not already an England international by the time South Africa got kicked out?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
played his first full english season in 67. south africa hadn't quite been kicked out yet, but they didn't play tests between 66 and 69 iirc

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No, didn't debut until 72.

I guess he'd already started his qualification period before their exile tho.
Effectively, though he may have considered himself an overseas player for his first few years with Sussex. By 1970 it was pretty obvious which way the wind was blowing, and maybe he figures he wouldn't get into the SA side even if they did continue to play tests. I'll have to dig out Tossell's biography again.