• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tav

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tav

Although he wasn't an all time great by any means, Chris Tavare's batting won't be forgotten by those who sat through his career. In this feature Martin remembers the batsman and the man.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Without wishing to sound like a nit-picking ****, the website doesn't like the é and replaces it with a ?, meaning the article is a tad difficult to read.

Not sure if anything can be done about that though. It might just be for me and/or other people might not find it an issue though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** - thought I'd been clever there - gone back to a straightforward e now - thanks for pointing that out

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Recall his 82-83 tour here when he did the job of soaking up loads and loads of time. He was fairly widely derided for it but iirc he played a very aggressive knock of 80 odd in Sydney which shocked a lot of fans here.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too young to remember him as a test player properly, just remember the shock everywhere when he was recalled for that disastrous ashes series.

stumpski

International Captain
I hope you don't mind my saying, but it starts in a curious way (what event?). Is this part two, or is it missing the beginning?

stumpski

International Captain
:thumbsup: Good read, but one small correction ... Tav's prolific years at Sevenoaks School were in 1972 and '73. I did wonder what he'd still be doing there if he'd turned 19 the previous October.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I always had a fair bit of sympathy for him. Having just about established himself at number 3, he found himself opening when Gooch and Boycott got themselves banned for their SA jaunt and the alternatives were too horrible to contemplate. I don't know whether he had ever opened for Kent, but I suspect not. Perhaps that's why his test career never really took off they way we thought it would when he first appeared.